South London Dance Studios - A Warning

Hi all, this is an alert to prospective parents considering sending children to South London Dance Studios in Herne Hill.

A little over a year ago we signed up our nearly 4 year old, daughter to start 40 minute dance classes there on a Saturday morning. Just a bit of casual fun we thought - and neglected to scrutinise the school's online terms and conditions.

A year on, she wasn't enjoying it - sessions seemed very stiff, with lots of listening and sitting in line and not much actual dancing - so we decided not to try to force her to continue and told the school she wouldn't be going any more. We'd already paid for all that autumn term of course, and at that point it was a little over a month before the start of this year's new term, which starts this weekend.

Ah! they said - under our terms and conditions, you needed to give just under 3 months of notice to withdraw. Added to that they had auto-enrolled our daughter in a new class. We therefore must pay for the whole forthcoming term - ?224 - which she won't be attending any of!

Of course organisations like this need some notice in order to plan their sessions, but 3 months is the kind of notice for a full time job, not a short weekend class for infants. Everyone knows children at that age can change their minds quite quickly (and firmly!).

So don't be put off if your committed, but do consider the financial commitment you are getting into...

• 6 months later...

Hello, I would like to share my own experience too.

I?ve had a very similar issue with them.

My daughter didn?t enjoy her class half way her first term. The teacher knew. We tried another lesson and then she decided to don?t go anymore.

I then had to let her know that my daughter wasn?t going to attend anymore. This was before the end of term. Still not intime with their term and conditions. They demanded from me a payment for the whole term coming despite my daughter wasn?t going to attend a single lesson.

I found this very disturbing for different reasons.

The teacher was aware of everything and didn?t care. My daughter was asked to buy the whole clothes for ballet at a very early stage.

The moment you walk in there you have a strong sensation that all they care about is money. Not your children.

I personally think that the cancelling policy should take place at least after the pupil has been in the school for two terms. The child has got the right to TRY first.

Basically she attended half of a term and payed for two terms!! It?s unbelievable.

Many children get involved, and after a term decide not not carry on. The parents shouldn?t pay a whole term as a penalty. It?s unfair for the simple fact that we as parent follow our children?s timings. I don?t agree about this police being applied this way into something that involves small children.

Not to mention the cold way this company deals with the situation. I want to take my own child somewhere she feels welcome and looked after. Not where the financial side comes first.

• 1 month later...

We had a similar issue - and we are talking around 2013 - we refused to pay ..

in the end - they actually sent us a letter from their solicitor - saying they would take us to court !

we had no choice and paid up - its not a new thing, its been happening for years!