Is there a reliable estate agent in Dulwich?

ronnybooth

Hello, I'm planning to sell my flat in East Dulwich. Might go it alone, but would rather use a good estate agent who will: turn up when they say they will; answer calls; tell the truth; earn their fee; make that fee reasonable.

The forum's awash with stories about the idiots and chancers, but has anyone here actually had a good experience with a name attached that they could pass on please?

Many thanks.

We encountered a great many estate agents when moving to ED and I can't recommend Truepenny's highly enough.

Honest, straight-talking with no BS (so refreshing!). They even managed to get our house purchase back on track after the seller pulled out without letting anybody know.

My partner rents his house in Herne Hill through them and they've been able to find very high quality tenants every time.

Friends of ours had a property in Herne Hill that was on the market for almost a year without selling. They were told they were asking too much money for it (untrue, it was a beautiful house with a massive garden). We we recommended Truepenny's (who I didn't even think operated in that area!) and it was sold within a few months.

Hope that's helpful.

Tara

Hi I have just brought a property via Winkworths and I would keep clear of them as the young lady running the shop was hard work loved the sound of her own voice and everything turned into a drama , at one stage I rang to request access to the property for a contractor to gain a quote for pending work and she said she couldn't be bothered didn't want to talk to me as she wanted to go home and hung up caveat emptor!!!!

So I say sell it yourself via a half a percent or one of the search engines

Hi we've recently sold through Bushells and have found them to be very good, they have responded to all communications very promptly, they know the local area and market well, we went under offer at the asking price after 4 days. Liz, Rachel and Nicole at Bushells are all great.

We're buying through Winkworth, early days, but so far no problems - we've been dealing with David (in Sales) and he is very good and knowledgable about the properties (so many agents are just simple key holders and cant be bothered to find out the basics about the property)

Good luck!

I bought via Haart and I think they did a good job.

Once the sale has been agreed the work to ensure the sale goes through is passed through to another lady in the team who works on that full time and she seemed very capable.

I did view a couple of properties via Truepenny's and they seemed good too, followed up after the viewings and were always polite and friendly.

I would avoid Foxton's - took them weeks to get back to me to arrange a viewing on a flat I had expressed an interest in, by which time I had a sale agreed elsewhere. They were noticeably slower than everyone else.

I've not sold a property in ED but have purchased one so have the experience as a buyer. In my experience the only estate agents I would sell my property with are Foxtons as they actually try to sell/market to prospective buyers. The others just seem to take details, rarely contact you with properties, accompany you to viewings (not being particularly helpful), etc.

If you want to sell your property it is important that the agents are being pro-active and seeking a buyer and Foxtons are the only agents that did this.

Good Luck!

We have dealt with Pickwicks since they opened 5 years ago. They have bought and sold 2 houses for us in East Dulwich and Dulwich Village. They are the first agents we have worked with that offer genuine and honest advice. Along with this they sponsor my Son and Daughters School fete every year and are the first to offer support to the local community. If anyone wants to discuss with me further please feel free to PM me. I really cannot rec'd these guys highly enough.

Jo

Hi I am currently using Peddar, to help me find a freehold/share of freehold property, very rare I must say, especially in Dulwich. However Ross at Peddar is an absolute darling, very attentive and looks after his clients. As all estate agents should. Bushells are nice, but Peddar win hands down.

It seems that the bad press estate agents get is justified in so many cases but I've found the new guys at Pedder, Nigel and Brendan, to be extremely helpful and actually (don't laugh) quite considerate! They really seem to be trying to change the reputation of agents in the village. Happy to recommend them to anybody.

jojobaby Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We have dealt with Pickwicks since they opened 5

> years ago. They have bought and sold 2 houses for

> us in East Dulwich and Dulwich Village. They are

> the first agents we have worked with that offer

> genuine and honest advice. Along with this they

> sponsor my Son and Daughters School fete every

> year and are the first to offer support to the

> local community. If anyone wants to discuss with

> me further please feel free to PM me. I really

> cannot rec'd these guys highly enough.

>

> Jo

How do you know it is genuine and honest?

• 2 months later...
Yes, Property In on Lordship Lane are wonderful; very knowledgeable, friendly, professional and HONEST. We bought our house from them 7 years ago and have for many years rented out a couple of flats through them. They make it as hassle free as possible and are a pleasure to deal with (something I never thought I would say about estate agents!) I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending them.

We had a horrible experience with Haart when we were buying in the area - they continued to show a house that we had a sale agreed on (and after we had arranged a survey) to other prospective buyers and then forced us into a bidding war. They lied about the buying position of another prospective buyer (said she was cash when she wasn't) and we eventually lost the house. They then had the cheek to call us up a couple of months later when the "cash" sale fell through to ask if we were still interested. We were particularly upset as I was 7.5 months pregnant at the time and they very nearly caused us to lose the buyer for the place we were selling. Awful people.

We haven't used the Dulwich branch of Keatings (opp the station) but used their Clapham office twice when selling and buying before and they were fantastic. Really practical and efficient. As far as I know the deputy manager of the Clapham branch was sent over to open up the E Dulwich branch so I would hope the same standards apply.