Back to Wood - Floor Sanding

arthurthecat

We've recently had our hallway, and two bedrooms sanded and varnished by Steve and Nicola from Back to Wood, and frankly i'm still quite shocked at how well the floorboards came up.... particularly as we took up the carpets we discovered a rather horrendous paint job underneath! I tried to upload some before and after pics - but couldn't due to the image size restrictions on the EDF.... B2W turned our ancient, murky, decrepit, paint stained and cracked floorboards into beautiful warm toned boards which look brand new (although preserving the vintage of the wood).

We live in a rather small terrace and it's really maximised the space of the rooms. I have no hesitation in recommending Back to Wood's service. Both Nicola and Steve are friendly and professional and the fact they've been restoring floorboards in the local area for over 16 years is testament to the service they provide.

Steve's mob: 07949411650

Jen aka Arthurthecat

• 1 month later...
after a recommendation to use steve and nicola at back to floors i thought i should write on here to pass on the recommendation. highly professional, great people and an incredible finish. steve came round initially and talked me through the process. they were totally self sufficient and left my flat clean and tidy. i am incredibly happy with the finish and would happily recommend back to floors for anyone thinking about using this trade. 11 out of 10.

Steve Loftus's growing reputation on the Forum (Back to Wood floor Sanding) is very well deserved - he and Nicola have just finished doing 4 rooms and 3 flights of stairs for us. Everything from start to finish has significantly exceeded expectations. Came round to give us a quote within 48 hours of asking, got the quote the same day, clear transparent and competitive pricing - he clearly knows his stuff! Started and finished on time as promised, really helpful and very patient in guiding us through the options (should the hearth stay or go, light oak? dark oak? light oak? dark oak? one coat or two or three?). Outstanding attention to detail throughout the job and meticulous about how the house was left - made sure all the doors were taped up to stop dust getting out and it was as though they had never been here at the end of each day - place left spotless. Dealt with unforeseen issues brilliantly (yes, apparently some people do cover beautiful original floorboards with three coats of paint and then randomly nail tiles in with as many nails as possible and top it all off with white lino!). Helpful, professional, honest and friendly.

The finished job is fantastic and would have no hesitation in recommending them.

And by the way, hearth has gone, light oak and two coats!

• 6 months later...
After reading the recommendations on the forum for Back to Wood I called Steve Loftus for a quote. He called around to our house (in Tulse Hill) the following day and came back with a quote within 24 hours. He explained the whole process to us and was really helpful in advising us on how to manage the job with a small toddler. Our downstairs (two sizeable rooms and hallway) were competed in two stages and we couldn't believe what a clean job Steve made of it. We expected some dust, but came home to a spotless house every night. The floors look amazing (light oak) and the quote was really fair. If we ever get any more rooms sanded I will definitely ask Steve to do them. I wanted to write this recommendation as if it were not the forum I'm not sure I would have found Back to Wood.

Another recommendation here, Steve (plus team) sanded and finished our parquet floor over the last weekend and we're very happy with the results, the level of service and the price too.

Been putting it off for years but the whole process was painless and crucially, there was barely any dust left in the house afterwards, you wouldn't have known what had just taken place apart from the great looking floor.

A job very well done.

• 2 weeks later...

We would also like to recommend Back to Wood Floor Sanding. We initially asked Steve to quote for the ground floor and hallway of our house, along with one of the smaller bedrooms. Steve and Nicola filled and sanded the floors beautifully and left the rooms spotlessly clean. No sign of any dust. They were very easy to have around (really nice people)and did an incredible job. We were so thrilled with the results that we asked them to come back to sand the floors in the remaining 3 rooms. The floorboards needed quite a bit of attention and were looking very ropey, but they took great care, repairing broken boards and filling the gaps. The results are fantastic.

A very professional Service. Reasonable pricing. Fantastic job. We would highly recommend them.

Their contact details are: Steve Loftus, Back to Wood 07949 411650

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Just wanted to put in another recommendation for Back to Wood. They did our bottom floor (hallway and front rooms) over in Nunhead about 2 weeks ago and its come up great! They were really easy to deal with, turned up on time and completed the job in the time given. They were also the most reasonably priced out of the 3 quotes we had in.

Highly recommend!

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to post a recommendation here for Steve from Back To Wood flooring.

After moving into our new house we stripped back the old laminate flooring to find original wooden floorboards in both the living room and kitchen. Despite the condition, Steve was positive they would look brilliant after he'd finished - and they do!

Friendly, punctual and very knowledgeable, he even left the house dust-free after he'd finished. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. You can reach him on 07949411650.

• 1 month later...

I have recently used Steve and his Nikki to totally refurbish our wood floor boards that were in a desperate state after the last owners of our house neglected them over many years. He turned them around so brilliantly and so quickly. They really do look like new floorboards!

He is brilliantly priced and the work done was superb. Not only that but they were a pleasure to have in the house.

I really can't recommend him enough.

• 1 month later...
Another recommendation for Steve and Nikki from Back to Wood - pleasure to deal with, all work completed within time they said, cleaned up beautifully afterwards and went above and beyond fixing an issue with our floorboards. Completely transformed our dining room, highly recommended!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I wanted to recommend Steve Loftus at Back to Wood 07949 411650 who has just sanded the floors in our house and done a fantastic job.

Our 4 bedroom, 3 story house had lots of stairs and very uneven boards and he and his partner Nicola have completely transformed them - sanding, fixing, staining, and sealing them. They were also a pleasure to deal with and were happy to talk through all the stages of the work and the logistics of having the work done whilst living in the house at the same time. Each night they left the rooms spotlessly clean and it was really very unobtrusive having them in the house despite the fact that I work from home. They were also great with our dog!

Can't recommend them highly enough.

Helen

Hi

I will second that they have just completed the downstairs of our Victorian terrace and it looks amazing. They managed to tie it in with our holidays and even fed the cats when we were away. Would definitely recommend Steve and Nicola at Back to Wood to others!

Julie

• 2 months later...

Back to Wood got my floors looking better than I could ever have hoped for and left my flat tidier and cleaner than when they started.

Plus Steve and Nicola are two of the nicest people I've met in ages.

Well worth waiting for (yes, you'll probably have to wait - they are super popular for all the above reasons).

Happy to answer any specific q's if you are thinking of using them.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Steve and Nicola (Back to Wood floor Sanding) did our hallway, kitchen, hall, living room and study back in June and I, like everyone else here it seems, can't recommend them enough. Professional, hardworking, quick and reasonably priced. Left the flat really clean and tidy at the end of each day. Our floorboards, which were in a pretty rubbish state, came up brilliantly and we couldn't be more please. Steve was also very understanding and moved the dates around for me when my husband became ill and I had to reschedule. They deserve all the praise they get on here.

Hi does anyone have any other recommendations as back to wood, plus the floor and sander hire place that has also been recommended, are booked up for many months and I'd like to try and get them done in the next month. Thank you!

• 11 months later...

Just to add that Steve and Nicola recently sanded our living room, dining room and hallway. They were accommodating to our random dates and also agreed at short notice to sand the hallway when we realised we ought to do it at the same time as the rest. They were very professional and did a great job, and tidied up very well after themselves. And they got on well with our cat...

Jane