Forum Sponsors

http://northwooduk.com/estate-agents/dulwich

http://www.hb-therapy.co.uk

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
messageRe: The Great Exhibition
Posted by DulwichFox 29 March, 2012 18:45

My beer Anstels (larger) ??

Had a full inch of head that just died with no bubbles.....

An inch of head in the widest part of the glass.

A standard Government Stamped non-lined glass is 6" tall and contains 20 fld ozs

With an inch head that measures 16 Fld ozs

16/20 = 4/5ths of a pint so @ £4.00 for 4/5th of a pint you are actually paying £5.00 per pint.

You are paying £0.80p just for the froth/head.

Fox

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:29:18:50:40 by DulwichFox.

Posted by TheGreatExhibition 30 March, 2012 06:51

A quick update.

We now have some nucleated glasses with yet more on the way. Our supplier sent us the wrong ones originally as the others were out of stock, they have sent us a couple of boxes of nucleated glasses so that we can serve pints the way we love them, fizzy looking with great head!
We are still waiting for another three boxes so we can get rid of the un-nucleated ones and just use them for ale which should be with us in the next week.

[www.straightdope.com]

Posted by fluffy 30 March, 2012 18:12

Hmm I want to love this place it's close to home and has a good gin selection but went there the other day, paid for two meals and then was told afterwards that the dish I had ordered wasn't available, no apology offered, as there was only one other veggie thing on the menu I had to plump for that, they didn't seem bothered and didn't try to find any other alternatives. All together it was a bit, meh.

Let's hope it's teething problems.

Posted by PN33 31 March, 2012 15:34

Good to see The Great Exhibition on here answering questions!

One thing that's been bothering me is your music policy... I can only presume this is a drawback of being owned by a chain? It seems very out of character to have such an individually styled pub with Atomic Kitten playing in the background?!
Is this something you have no control over?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:31:15:50:29 by PN33.

Posted by Sue 31 March, 2012 17:49

PN33 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
It seems very out of
> character to have such an individually styled pub
> with Atomic Kitten playing in the background?!
> Is this something you have no control over?

xxxxxxx

Was in there this lunchtime and they were playing Daydream Believer by The Monkees big grin

Excellent big grin

(Possibly in homage to Davy Jones who recently snuffed it?)

Posted by Toddinator 04 April, 2012 12:21

I went for a roast on Sunday and made sure I got there by 3.30 (as they said it's served before 5) and waited about 45 minutes for them to decide if they were going to serve anymore. I was very abruptly told "not doing food anymore". I understand that there will be teething problems and it might be busier than originally thought but just some courtesy and an apology for making people wait would go far. I don't feel like I want to go back now really which is a shame.

Posted by Jah Lush 04 April, 2012 15:35

Speaking to one of the managers the other day he did say that they hadn't expected it to be so busy since opening. Consequently, they are now having to order more of everything. Hence this has been why they have on occasion run out of things. So teething problems aplenty but I'm sure they'll get it right in the end. Hope so anyway.
Furthermore, I was there a couple of days ago with a couple of girlfriends and first off they ran out of Rose wine and then the house white. In response to my friend's request to one of the barstaff if they could have another wine at the same "house" price was promtly told no. Seems a bit mean to me. However, I did notice that they now have all five beer pumps up and running and I particularly liked the Redemption Pale Ale.

Posted by katie1997 04 April, 2012 18:19

Quote:
Furthermore, I was there a couple of days ago with a couple of girlfriends and first off they ran out of Rose wine and then the house white. In response to my friend's request to one of the barstaff if they could have another wine at the same "house" price was promtly told no.

Jah - same thing happened when I was in there on Sunday with a large group of friends. Only one white wine left in the end, Picpoul I think, which wasn't really to my friend's taste and for more money. Appreciate they were unexpectedly busy and they're relatively new but I too thought it was a bit mean not to offer it at a lower price.

Spose we could have gone elsewhere but most of our group live on the same or adjacent streets from the pub and didn't want to move (all that long distance, ha) to LL as we were expecting more people to join us there.

(hope Quids isn't reading this saying told you so) winking smiley

Posted by Razors 05 April, 2012 10:19

Dreadful place, staff, service, amenities, food. Management incredibly poor. Will only get worse IMO.

Posted by ££££ 05 April, 2012 12:35

PN33 Wrote:
> Good to see The Great Exhibition on here answering
> questions!
>
> One thing that's been bothering me is your music
> policy... I can only presume this is a drawback of
> being owned by a chain? It seems very out of
> character to have such an individually styled pub
> with Atomic Kitten playing in the background?!
> Is this something you have no control over?

Whern I went in they were playing Roy Ayers to go with my splendid pint of summer ale (name slips me) - so all good so far

Posted by tallulah71 06 April, 2012 19:25

Yes - who'd have thought sitting outside would be a comfortable thing in chilly weather for smokers/non-smokers alike.
Jeez you're dull.

Razors Wrote:
> RosieH Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well this all sounds excellent and I'm looking
> > forward to trying it.
> >
> > One massive bugbear though - smokers, put a
> bloody
> > jumper on so that pubs don't have to try to
> > provide central heating for, you know, outside.
> > Genuinely find this appalling.
>
> Not been yet, buy completely agree with RosieH -
> heating the outside - vile.

Posted by Jah Lush 06 April, 2012 19:50

Non smokers are selfish @#$%&. Us smokers are modern days pariahs. Send the non-smokers outside in the cold and see how they fecking like it. @#$%&!

Posted by mrs scoop 07 April, 2012 10:27

I really like it! And it's such a buzz to see the place teeming with people.

Posted by maxxi 07 April, 2012 13:54

Jah Lush Wrote:
> Non smokers are selfish @#$%&. Us smokers are
> modern days pariahs. Send the non-smokers outside
> in the cold and see how they fecking like it.
> @#$%&!

I agree... at least that is I agree on principle... dammit where's that 'giving up smoking' thread...

Posted by Razors 07 April, 2012 15:04

Hang on, i've nothing against smokers, would rather have smokers back inside than poxy kids and prams and mothers! But smokers have had air con/extraction when inside,and now heating outside air that is completb waste of energy, and i won't even mention the amount of people that can't afford heating, or even have a heat source for warmth. Enjoy your fags!

Posted by Dodo1 08 April, 2012 07:50

Went there yesterday and can't belive the transformation! It looks much better inside with plenty of space. Staff were plentiful and helpful and interested to see what they've got planned for the near future. Food looks like the stuff that they serve at the Brockwell Lido Cafe- so let's hope they can match the quality! Hope they will have a kids menu too.

Posted by Sue 11 April, 2012 20:20

So what are people calling this then?

The Great Exhibition is such a mouthful.

I call it the GrEx big grin

Sounds a bit like the noise a Corncrake makes .....

Posted by Sue 13 April, 2012 15:16

Had a meal here last night.

Was on the board as "beetroot burger, grated carrot, handcut chips".

When it arrived, there was a strange pale thing on top of the beetroot, which turned out to be a pineapple ring thumbs down

This reminded me of the Regrette Rien restaurant in Life Is Sweet - a sort of liver in lager experience. I'm not that fond of pineapple anyway, but - with beetroot? In a burger? And why wasn't it listed, as there was an awful lot more pineapple than there was grated carrot, of which there was a mere sprinkle.

The burger was pierced through with a wooden skewer on top of which rested half a cherry tomato, then a small gherkin, then the other half of the tomato.

This was more Abigail's Party.

All in all, a bit of a Mike Leigh meal then. And for this I paid a tenner, give or take 5p embarrased smiley

The actual beetroot was quite tasty, had spices in.

My OH's chicken sandwich was cut in pieces which were piled up and put on a stick, presumably to make it look bigger. There were a few small bits of rocket on top. That was nearly eight pounds confused icon

The Moor (Amoor?) porter, however, was absolutely delicious and I had too many pints big grin

So, Grex, good ale but could do (much) better on the food side.

Overall, a vast improvement on the CPT though!

Posted by granadaland 13 April, 2012 21:41

Hope the meal wasn't as painful as the pair strangling a cat in the Gin Yard last night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:04:14:06:01:25 by granadaland.

Posted by karen1 14 April, 2012 06:35

Went there last week for first time and was disappointed with the quality and the size of portion.I ordered a vegetable
Bake ,it was served in a dish about 6x4 inches and looked like a starter ,not something that cost ten pounds.I did comment about the size and they did try to make amends by bringing me some potatoes and carrots.I think that this seems to be fairly typical of eating places in East Dulwich ,they seem to think that everyone has got lots of money and and are happy to waste it on sub-standard food .The other example of this is the Plough which I went to this week,dreadful food and slow service.there are only three places that I will go to now,The sea cow, East dulwich tandoori and The lanes cafe.Always decent food at a fair price.

Posted by TheGreatExhibition 30 April, 2012 18:17

Oh Gosh,

Lots of feedback on here to get back to!
A quick summary update.

Music!
We finally have a music system that works! its part of the Secret DJ network that you may have all seen in other local venues in Lordship Lane. Essentially the idea is that you download a free App called Secret DJ on your smart phone and you get to control the music that is played. It also shows you the name and artist of each track that is being played.
This means that you can all have a go at controlling the music without having to leave your seat. Unfortunately, Atomic Kitten was on the original playlist and some opportunist that day must have thought it fitting!!
We have updated it now though and tried our best to remove anything that is offensive on the ear. To all of you Atomic Kitten fans out there disappointed by this news we are sorry not to be able to help you feel "whole again"!!

Food
Since we opened we have indeed been trying to find our footing. Running out of food and drink from time to time has been a hard lesson but one learned. Obviously from time to time we will run out of certain food types but closing our kitchen due to an influx of orders is something that we dont want to happen. We would obviously like to apologise to anyone that has come in hoping for food and been let down because of the kitchen being shut.
We are hoping to make our final
placement of permanent kitchen staff this week so once we have the new head chef in place things will begin to change from more interesting dishes to a much higher standard of food overall.
One thing we are very open to and keen on is feedback. Each piece is taken seriously and lots of changes have been made from conversations we have had with people in the pub.
If anyone has a suggestion then I would be happy to meet with them and discuss in person. Feel free to swing by the pub and ask for Dan, I'll happily give you my time to help improve the pub or do my best to make good any mistakes made.

The good news is that we receive more positive feedback on a day to day basis from our customers than negative. We know that there are improvements we can make and we are developing them so that soon our menu will be able to wow you like other elements of our pub currently do.

Looking forward to the coming year

Dan
The General Manager
The Great Exhibition

Posted by simonethebeaver 03 May, 2012 22:52

Hi Dan

I came in recently with a group of friends for dinner and drinks. Friendly service and well priced wines but we were disappointed in the food. Specifically three of us had burgers 'with blue cheese'. The burgers were quite bland and none of us could discern any blue cheese at all. We checked with the waitress that it had been put on and she said it had, but didn't seem at all interested that we were all feeling let down by the dish.

Posted by DulwichFeline 07 May, 2012 17:36

Sue Wrote:
> Had a meal here last night.
>
> Was on the board as "beetroot burger, grated
> carrot, handcut chips".
>
> When it arrived, there was a strange pale thing on
> top of the beetroot, which turned out to be a
> pineapple ring thumbs down
>
> This reminded me of the Regrette Rien restaurant
> in Life Is Sweet - a sort of liver in lager
> experience. I'm not that fond of pineapple anyway,
> but - with beetroot? In a burger? And why wasn't
> it listed, as there was an awful lot more
> pineapple than there was grated carrot, of which
> there was a mere sprinkle.

Um...take the pineapple out?

Really love what these guys have done, have had nothing but very friendly service. Great that they're offering personalised feedback too, they're clearly keen to please!

Posted by mattydj 07 May, 2012 17:40

Sorry, but this is absolute rubbish. Sure, if you get the worst possible mince from the worst possible butcher then you have a chance of that mince being contaminated (if it's contaminated then you dont want to eat it no matter how it's cooked) but any decent beef can be eaten completely raw without any problem.

Posted by mattydj 07 May, 2012 17:45

DulwichFox Wrote:
> Burgersquestion mark
>
> With outlets on Lordship Lane selling Burgers and
> asking how would you like it cooked.....??
>
> People opting for Medium Rare..
>
> Eating Rare (Raw) ground beef is one of the
> easiest ways to get food poisoning.
>
> Even Steak Tartare prepared in top restaurants
> using the finest (Fresh) Beef in Scrupulously
> clean conditions
> has been known to make people ill.
>
> Many people get ill at B-B-Q'S because burgers
> are not cooked properly.
>
> Fox..

Sorry, but this is absolute rubbish. Sure, if you get the worst possible mince from the worst possible butcher then you have a chance of that mince being contaminated (if it's contaminated then you dont want to eat it no matter how it's cooked) but any decent beef can be eaten completely raw without any problem. This is why these dishes, such as steak tartare, exist.

I work as a chef and have done for 20+ years. smiling smiley

Posted by mattydj 07 May, 2012 17:49

apologies for the double post, the second one addresses the post I was errr... addressing. smiling smiley

Posted by DulwichFox 07 May, 2012 18:12

MattyDj

ESCHERICHIA COLI:

What it is: Always considered a benign, indeed beneficial bug that lived quietly in the intestine synthesizing B VITAMINS, E. coli has suddenly turned vicious.

Or rather, a killer strain (E. coli 0157:h7) has surfaced, the culprit behind a hemorrhagic form of food poisoning that began appearing in the early 1980s in Canada and the United States.

Those felled by the disease shared one thing: They'd all eaten rare hamburgers at fast-food restaurants.

Sad to say, several children died from eating the tainted burgers.

Related artical

So you worked as a chef for 20 years and learned nothing about food Hygiene..

Posted by mattydj 07 May, 2012 19:30

Tainted. We make the same argument. Did you read my post?

Posted by mattydj 07 May, 2012 19:33

...and actually I have studied food science extensively.... what have you studied?

Posted by DulwichFox 07 May, 2012 19:48

mattydj Wrote:
> ...and actually I have studied food science
> extensively.... what have you studied?

40 Years in Telecoms and Computer Systems (maintainance engineer)

Was Union Rep for 30+ Staff

Was First Aider.

Was on Bar and Social Club Rep.

Fire Marshall.

Safety Officer.

I was all of those things because the people I represented voted for me.

They voted for me because They trusted my Judgement.

I looked after people..

Oh and Common Sense...

Fox

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed