STOLEN AT KNIFEPOINT: Gary Fisher Tassajara Mountain Bike SE21 Dulwich Village St Barnabas Hall

jtshone

My bike was stolen at knifepoint from my son last night in Dulwich village nr St Barnabas Hall at 11pm.

Make: Gary Fisher

Model: Tassajara

Colour: metallic burgundy

If anyone has any information on whereabout of bike. It's pretty broken up , no front brake (hope he crashed!). I want the bike back.

Last seen Dulwich village heading towards Peckham ridden by a boy named Cxxxxxx Nxxxxx with a knife in his pocket.

NAME REMOVED. Police and school have been advised. School have yet to respond and Police might eventually find there way over there.

SCHOOL REMOVED. They've now confirmed they know the pupil.

PURPOSE OF THE POST (as I've been asked below):

1. TO MAKE EVERYONE AWARE, EVEN THE SEEMINGLY SAFEST PLACES ARE NOT NECESSARILY SO. 2 KIDS PRETTY SHAKEN UP BY THIS, NOT SURPRISING WHEN YOU GET THREATENED WITH BEING "SHANKED" (NEW WORD FOR ME AS OF TODAY), AND I WOULDN'T WANT YOURS TO BE IN SIMILAR CASE OR WORSE

2. I DO WANT MY BIKE BACK

Sh*t. Really sorry to hear that, hope your lad isn't too shaken up. I think it may be a worrying trend, a couple of times recently on the Surrey canal path late at night dubious looking characters have called out "stop a minute mate" and "hey you've got a puncture," possibly with the aim of taking the bike.

Will keep 'em peeled for yours.

Sorry, that's real bad

I remember telling the police the name of someone who mugged me back in the 80s.

They by all accounts mugged him back rather than arresting him - and gave me my property back.

But this boy will be in custody by now surely.

really?

If the culprit is known then the whereabouts of the bike can be extracted. So what is the point of your post?

Children under a certain age have anonymity for crime so you should think carefully before posting names.

If I was this child's mother I would be livid. Regardless or not of the severity of the incident.

The full name has now been amended - to be replaced, substantially, with xs - that may be enough. It would probably have been better to say something on the lines of 'the boy, who had a knife in his pocket, and who drove the bike away, has been identified and the name supplied to the police and his school.' That way at least there could be no real issue of a sub-judice problem.

Whilst the age of criminal responsibility is 10 in England, young people who are charged with and convicted of crimes may be covered (under the age of 18) by reporting restrictions - prima facie the original post would have been in breach of these had they been applied for, so the removal of the name (and possibly the boy's school as well) would be necessary to meet any such reporting restriction.

Hmmm I'm not sure I can blame the OP for naming and shaming - If someone mugged me or someone close they'll get everything I can throw at them dirty or clean in response.

edit: and I know it can prejustice a trial - but I'd be furious for days.

I think if one of my sons had stolen a bike whilst threatening someone with a knife, his name being posted on a forum would be the least of my worries!

Jtshone I hope your son and his friend are ok and that you have your bike back.

Bicycle has not been recovered and as far as I am aware, one week on, CID in Camberwell are YET to even assign anyone to the case!!!

If anyone sees a Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike, metallic burgundy, no front brake cable, lying in a verge, locked up or other please let me know.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The full name has now been amended - to be

> replaced, substantially, with xs - that may be

> enough. It would probably have been better to say

> something on the lines of 'the boy, who had a

> knife in his pocket, and who drove the bike away,

> has been identified and the name supplied to the

> police and his school.' That way at least there

> could be no real issue of a sub-judice problem.

>

> Whilst the age of criminal responsibility is 10 in

> England, young people who are charged with and

> convicted of crimes may be covered (under the age

> of 18) by reporting restrictions - prima facie the

> original post would have been in breach of these

> had they been applied for, so the removal of the

> name (and possibly the boy's school as well) would

> be necessary to meet any such reporting

> restriction.

I was referred to "The Magistrate" magazine of May 2017 where there is a detailed up-do-date summary for Magistrates on Youth Panels of the extensive law on disclosing "Children's" names. The article in each case either refers to the specific legislation or case law.

Southwark Libraries can probably supply a copy of the article if anyone wants to read it.

All the references are to when a case is sub-judice. There is no definition of when sub-judice start to run.

So that leaves two further points:

1] When does sub-judice start?

2] is it only libel law that applies before then?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

jtshone Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bicycle has not been recovered and as far as I am

> aware, one week on, CID in Camberwell are YET to

> even assign anyone to the case!!!

>

> If anyone sees a Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain

> bike, metallic burgundy, no front brake cable,

> lying in a verge, locked up or other please let me

> know.