Lost Cat Please Help!

I live in Grove Park, just above you, so I will keep an eye out...he may be in the park or you could try the wood next to Sainsbury's, but in all likelihood he will be back in a day or two. If he doesn't, it is worth trying SNARL, Celia Hammond and Cat's Protection but the RSPCA are f*cking useless...I speak from bitter experience, I lost my black cat a couple of years ago, but don't give up hope yet!

Been an agonising several days to say the least. Thank you for keeping an eye out for Romeo. Took your advice I have been searching the woods next to Sainsbury's as well as the surrounding area a good mile and a half radius out. To no avail, still no luck. As chance would have it I received a lead from a passer by this morning. In having a casual chat I mentioned my cat has gone missing. Shockingly she responded that she lives up the street from me and her granddaughter has taken a liking to my families cat and plans on keeping her. She would not reveal her address for whatever reason. My wife and I gave her our contact details. She told us her granddaughter would be in touch, apparently she was attending college earlier. We are truly gutted at this point, no contact. What is killing me is she mentioned she lives at Wheatland House, East Dulwich. Up the street and hill from where we live on Pytchley Road.

In being proactive in not being contacted from who I spoke to earlier I put leaflets in every letter slot in Wheatland House earlier today with my contact details. Oddly enough I never heard from the woman my wife and I spoke to earlier or her her granddaughter. On a positive note we received confirmation Romeo indeed has been in proximity of Wheatland House by several residents based on social media and flyer distribution. In being honest I feel sadly our cat has been stolen at this point. As chance would have it in putting flyers through letter slots in Wheatland House my wife witnessed the woman we spoke to earlier entering her flat. She was non responsive in politely knocking on her door. I am at a loss for words. This has evolved into what appears to be an abduction. It certainly does not help matters when we spoke to the woman mentioned previously earlier has a family member with a "collection of cats" in casually mentioning it to me during our earlier conversation. Initially it was disregarded in thinking her family member is a cat lover. At this point in retrospect it is now alarming to say the least. Sadly as I leave this post it is after midnight, I have been out canvasing the area looking for Romeo. I certainly will be contacting the authorities in the morning seeking further advice. Thank you for reaching out to me is greatly appreciated, certainly will not be giving up hope. Sorry for the long response I needed to vent.

If the story from the passer by is true, it is theft. Contact the Police obviously, but there might be a chance this granddaughter is a council tenant. If so, the housing officer for that estate will know tenants with pets and might be able to help locate this woman. And if you know where the woman you spoke to lives, the Police will go and talk to her.

Don't give up.

I agree, and the way the 'passer by' casually disclosed that her granddaughter had taken a fancy to your cat and intended to keep it sounds very odd, especially given the additional comment about a 'collection' of cats. If these people have the welfare of the cat at heart they will let you see him. It sounds as though the cat is not being allowed out.

Is Romeo microchipped and has he had a vet visit recently? Either or both could help prove ownership.

I'm sorry to hear that, but it's also completely outrageous, you can't just take someone's cat if you feel like it, and the idea that there is a 'collection of cats'somewhere is disturbing, especially considering that my cat could be part of this collection...I would definitely get in touch with the police and possibly the useless RSPCA, it sounds like there is something very fishy going on...

How dare people do that to someone? One of my cats decided to move in across the road and would not stay with me when returned. I agreed to let the new people keep her although it made me sad. I hope you get Romeo back. Maybe neighbours of the thief can help you catch Romeo.

Poor Romeo is still missing. Yesterday while out searching my wife crossed paths with a police officer who was out and about with a community police officer. In explaining the situation she was told by the police officer cats cannot be stolen there is no law for cats. Well for starters I beg to differ. According to the Theft Act 1968 Cats are regarded in law as the ?property? of their owner. The theft of a cat is treated as an offence under the Act, in the same way as theft of any other property is. A cat that is lost or has strayed is generally regarded as the property of the original owner. It is therefore necessary to make all reasonable endeavours to locate the original owner whenever possible. Here is a link to additional information regarding cats and the law: https://www.cats.org.uk/uploads/documents/cat-care-leaflets-2013/EG13_Cats_and_the_law.pdf If I cross paths with the police officer my wife spoke to I intend to recommend he brush up on the law when it pertains to cats.

What is shocking to me is the community police officer told my wife the woman we suspect has our cat has past history of taking someone else's cat. Is that not theft? Certainly probable cause for the police to go and have a chat with the person we suspect. Later on in the day yesterday the police actually had a chat with the woman and gained access to her property. The officer called my wife and let her know there were no signs of animals in the property. Before the police knocked on her door my wife and I did earlier in the day. She told us Romeo was on her sofa earlier that morning. In my wife asking at that point is Romeo in your flat she then changed her story to Romeo was at her front door then left. We find this hard to believe since her flat is on the third floor. Granted the woman may have mental health issues however she has a past history of taking peoples cats. Also bearing in mind she mentioned she has a granddaughter who loves cats. She told my wife and I if her granddaughter did have Romeo she probably would not give him back.

Exhausted however still searching, not giving up. Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions above we have acted on all of them. This afternoon I crossed paths with a gentleman that said his mum has had a white cat hanging around his ground floor flat in Wilton House, East Dulwich. In showing him a picture he is not certain if it is Romeo. He was kind enough to take a flyer to show his mother. She has left food outside her door. He assured me next time he sees the cat if it is Romeo he will call me. The good news is if it is Romeo he was initially spotted by Wheaton House and may have been taken in by a person that lives there. In putting together the pieces of the puzzle I gather that person may have dementia in Wheaton House that claimed to have our cat. Dementia or not I am bothered that she told my wife and I she has a family member with a collection of cats. We asked her to please have her granddaughter to call us or to stop by our home, still no response. If the most recent sighting is Romeo he has made his way closer to our home.

Although the police stopped by to speak to the woman who told us she / her granddaughter have our cat. Nothing came about other than the police officer telling my wife cats cant be stolen. I disagree with the police officer since according to the Theft Act 1968 Cats are regarded in law as the ?property? of their owner. If someone forceable is keeping my families cat captive, tells me that she has it is that not theft? It is a delicate situation since the woman that claims to have my families cat could have dementia. It urks me that the community police office told my wife yesterday the woman in question has past history of taking anoter persons cat. At this point in ways I hope that between the presence of my wife and I as well as the police perhaps she set Romeo free. Then again if she did have him he was indoors out of the cold. It is sickening to think he is possibly out in the cold at the moment. Staying positive as my wife and I continue to search.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joseph,

Do you know the address of the person believed to have Romeo?

You could try the RSPCA - maybe at HQ level - they do private prosecutions in cases of animal cruelty (although this used to be undertaken by private firms of solicitors, they may have in-house lawyers now) and they may be able to offer you some advice on both encouraging the police to follow up and alternative legal routes. If they are unable to help, maybe a solicitor could help (the Law Society could advise you on suitably experienced lawyers in the area).

It must be incredibly painful and frustrating for you and your family.

I hope the situation is resolved soon.

With best wishes,

Ilona

Hi Ilona,

I actually do have the address of the person that may have Romeo. What is frustrating to my family and I the police did get involved. An officer stopped by the person in questions flat he contacted my wife and said "there was no sign of animals". It is my understanding he did not search the flat, merely stopped by was allowed in the sitting room. It is just bizarre that the person in question has changed her story the several times we have crossed paths (we live relative close to each other). Furthermore our local community officer is also involved he told my wife that the woman in question has past history in taking in a cat that did not belong to her. What is alarming is it is my understanding she also has a family member that in her words she told my wife and I "has a collection of 12 cats". My concern at this point is she may not have Romeo in her flat at the moment, handed him off the the family member she mentioned.

My wife has been in touch with the RSPCA. I will be following up with a phone call tomorrow morning and taking your advice in reaching out to the Law Society. I live on Pytchley Road in the new build towards Sainsbury's. A neighbour has reached out to me that lives on Pytchley Road as well. Unbelievably she has had two cats go missing within the last year of so. Seems as if something fishy is going on in the area.

As difficult as it is my family and I are trying to stay as positive as we can. Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

The Law Society has an online Find a Solicitor search engine and enquiry form on its website - http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ but it might not bring back relevant results due to the general areas you can search online. An alternative is to phone the helpline: 020 7320 5650 (Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 17:00 charged at local call rates.

With best wishes,

Ilona

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...