Bike Stolen, East Dulwich Station

sherwoodcourt

Not looking for sympathy, just FYI, my Pinnacle Neon adult size bike with red trim and a Hamax kids seat (!) stolen from the racks that are on platform 1 (northbound) at ED Station. Happened between 830am and 930pm Tuesday. Bike had a proper U-lock. No trace of the bike or the lock in the area. Filed police report etc. Photo of bike in happier times when I used it to bring home the family xmas tree.

Sympathies whether you want them or not - will keep an eye out. Was the rack intact? Last year the sods sawed through the hoops outside the station then replaced them held on with "official" looking tape, so they could just lift any bike with lock intact any time they pleased. Also, there's lots of CCTV round the station, nothing seen on there?

That's very vexing. I assume it may be passed to British Transport Police, whom I didn't find very responsive in my case many years ago. Do check, when whoever gets in touch, what the current case status is, open, closed, ,,,. And whether they have checked or will be checking CCTV. If anyone reading this can narrow down the time of the theft, please do so, so that OP can help the police narrow their search. I don't know what policy BTP has, but the Met will devote only limited time to CCTV scanning.

The hoops appear to be firmly attached the ground. I checked again this morning to see. But maybe they have a way of taking it off quickly. Don't know. I reported to BTP, and the officer said they would check the CCTV. Good advice on following up with them on the case status. and thanks to se22cat for those twitter accounts. i used one of them but hadn't seen the other.

Angelina Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> it is a big risk leaving a bike anywhere. With

> tools the most stubborn lock will be broken in

> less than a minute.

>

> Sorry to hear.

Not true. There are different standards of D lock. Gold standard ones can not be broken without serious hydraulic cutters, but they can cost as much as ?100 to buy. I have one and have never had a cycle stolen in 25 years with that kind of lock in use.

I think that's a fair point; it's more that having a better lock takes longer to break through and therefore might deter the opportunist type.

I've had the same bike for about seven years now and often leave it at stations, but to be fair it's not pretty (I treasure the memory of the moped mugger a few weeks ago shouting about my '$hit bike'). I had one stolen from the back garden on a dark evening but no locks broken since 20 years ago when a basic but heavy chain was cut. D-locks seem to work best, especially if you get the lock end on the inside of the bike stand so it's harder to lever.