East Dulwich Garden Centre - closing down

Stig75

I would say it is a massive shame, but everything I bought from there died really easily and all their plants always had diseases! I stopped buying from there after a while as I suspected all the diseases I was getting in my garden on my plants came from that place.

Does anyone know of a good undiseased garden centre?

[oops, didn't see the previous post, some duplication here..]

sorry to hear it's closing, but it's only been a matter of time. Wouldn't surprise me if this is going to be redeveloped as flats. I remember a couple of years ago there was even talk of turning that site into a new library with flats, though that idea was probably shelved.

It will be replaced by:

A new Grove Vale library - double the size of the current one.

A shop unit.

20 flats.

It should hopefully be completed Spring/Summer 2014.

I had the library idea 2005. So it will have taken 9 years - banking crisis added 4 years and an awful lot of hard work y many different people and organisations.

I was in there yesterday. The owners are retiring.

It's a shame to lose a garden centre within walking distance of Ed.

The guy who served me said it was going to be flats which is sad as I really enjoyed going in there and 'pottering' around.

Good news about the library though.

Hi juicypips666,

Some councils have chosen to close libraries to save money. Others have found wayst oreduce back office costs to avoid this and others have reduced library hours at some libraries and close other services (home library service * Mobile library) as Southwark have done.

But the current Grove Vale Library annual rent is circa ?30,000. The new library will be on a ?100 pa Peppercorn rent with a 125 year lease - the developer will also pay for the libraries fit out.

Good question what will happen with the current library site - the freeholder will try and rent it to someone.

Hi LondonMix,

The developer is St.Aidan's.

Hi tiddles,

This development did not initiate the CPZ consultation of last year. Planning officials have insisted on the developer putting aside monies for a CPZ despite repeated remonstrations from me that the money should be given over to something the community wants/needs - more books for the new library, Goose Green School.

Michael Palaeologus,

Waitrose would be exactly the type of shop the developer is likely to want. It's whether Waitrose have the capacity to add such a shop to its plans.

Why is everyone so hell bent on building flats on every available plot of land in ED? The area has vastly too many people per level of services already. More flats = more families moving in = more kids to try to squeeze into our already overcrowded schools. Now if they said they were closing the Garden Centre and building a new school then you might have me listening, Dr James Barber :)

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Aren't they developing a new primary school where

> Dulwich hospital is? How many new primary schools

> do you think are necessary?

No. Probably at least two given overcrowding and current birth rates in the area.