plea from lordship lane (shops)

davidh

as the owner of a small shop on the lane, established here for more than 11 years, may I ask all the nice ladies and gentlemen to make us a christmas shopping destination? this year has been particularly cruel to your local traders. so, don't trek up to the west end or a mega shopping centre... come to us. you will very reasonable prices, great service and, most important, you will have fun.

we are all here ready for you, with well stocked shelves and a warm welcome. I am now off to open up. we all look forward to seeing you!

I've already made a commitment to do as much as possible of my Christmas shopping locally this year. While it is so much easier/convenient to browse amazon there's a lot to the notion that "It's better to give than to receive." and what better way than to think creatively about what to give someone from what's available locally?

I had a lovely wander down Lordship Lane at the weekend and bought quite a few presents. Most of my shopping was in Moo TOo and Oliver Bonas (I know it's a chain, but they do have great cards) and the East Dulwich Deli.

I also love Review Bookshop on Bellenden Road - they are so helpful with suggestions and recommendations. And Amazon may be able to suggest what else you might like, but isn't able to help when you know it was published about two years ago, the author is getting quite alot of attention recently, didn't win the Booker and it's a one word title. Which was enough for Ros in Review to get what I was after!

And I found the children's bookshop and the bike shop in Herne Hill hugely helpful. Sorry - I know the most of these aren't on Lordship Lane. But they are local and (mostly) independent shops.

I love shopping locally as well and try to support the vitality of the highstreet whenever I can. One question for the traders: how do you feel about the increasing number of new shops opening in the area? If things are so tight, do you think they are making a bad decision moving here? Just curious as we often speculate about how these things affect you local traders so it would be intersting to hear your thoughts.

camberlou Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I also love Review Bookshop on Bellenden Road -

> they are so helpful with suggestions and

> recommendations.

>

Hi Camberlou, have you visited Rye Books at 45 Upland Road as well? A great little independent bookshop that opened about six months ago. They do great homemade cakes and coffee!

Hear Hear!

We have already done a great deal of our Christmas shopping locally. Alistair at Rye Books has a great selection of books and other gifts and gave great advice on books about Father Christmas for our toddler. So far we've also bought sparkling wine from Green & Blue, toys and stocking fillers rom Just William, spices and food gifts from SMBS and Persepolis, kilner jars to fill with home baked treats and preserved lemons from Farmers, baby clothes from the stall on North Cross Road Market... Trying to be organised, but will probably still be seen scurrying up Lordship Lane for last minute bits and pieces just before Christmas!

I have been to the pop up shop on LL called Lush Designs, who are in the old Soup Dragon shop The shop looked really bright and colourful in this dreary weather, they have some lovely, lovely colourful gifts and homey things, like lampshades, teatowels (i bought a few as they are so light & cheap to post!) also saw mugs, and coasters and lots of reasonably priced things, so will be going back! They also do a fab range of cards..well worth a visit! I love LL for shopping,,won't go anywhere else!

just looked at my tea towels! there is one with carrots, and one with a beetroot design, and also one with an owl and also wild pigs..yes really! They had more designs though, quite quirky but I loved them, go have a look..I am supposed to be giving them as Christmas presents, but might keep one, or two..

sue k Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> just looked at my tea towels! there is one with

> carrots, and one with a beetroot design, and also

> one with an owl and also wild pigs..yes really!

> They had more designs though, quite quirky but I

> loved them, go have a look..I am supposed to be

> giving them as Christmas presents, but might keep

> one, or two..

This sounds weird but my Nan really loves tea towels so thumbs up for Xmas.

My new place doesn't have a convenient place for my tea towels - do you have a tea towel holder I could see?

Every year I try to do all my Christmas shopping in East Dulwich.

Not out of concern for our local traders, mind, but because I always leave it too late to order presents online and I can't stand the thought of trekking into the middle of town and dealing with the horrendous crowds.

Uptime, ask the toy shop Just william, they might be able to order kids DVDs. Great shop Just william, ED Warehouse is also full of gift ideas, and I love Roullier White (did i spell that correctly?) Really nice scented candles.

Shopping locally, benefits the mind, body and spirit.

Enjoy folks :)

As someone who has recently moved to East Dulwich, I will definitely try and do my Christmas shopping from local shops.

The stories about big multi national companies avoiding paying UK tax (Amazon and the like) has really spurred me on to support the high street!

Every year I make a hamper for my Ma & Pa with a visit to Greens (Wines & Spirits) Lordship Lane Deli (all kinds of stuff) and also Franklins Deli in case there's anything really interesting. Usually my finished hamper is around a quarter of the price of a commercial/pre-pack, and the shopping adventure is a bit of a hoot, too, involving often thoughtful selection of small but quite costly items that you would only ever buy at this time of year. Now my folks are in their 80's, this actually gives them a buzz on Christmas day opening up a box of mystery delicacies. If it weren't for Lordship Lane, this would never have become such a fun holiday ritual, which I can firmly recommend to anyone stuck for a gift for their parents.

Get Vocal & Shop Local!!