(estate agent) Sold signs

Does anyone else find it annoying when estate agents have a Sold sign outside a property for 6 months plus.

I have reached out to Acorm to have it removed, no luck. Clearly they have an agreement with the owner to leave it up there as advertising.

Description

3A. An advertisement relating to the sale or letting, for residential, agricultural, industrial or commercial use or for development for such use, of the land or premises on which it is displayed.

Conditions and Limitations

3A. ?

(1) Not more than one advertisement, consisting of a single board or two joined boards, is permitted; and where more than one advertisement is displayed, the first to be displayed shall be taken to be the one permitted.

(2) No advertisement may be displayed indicating that land or premises have been sold or let, other than by the addition to an existing advertisement of a statement that a sale or letting has been agreed, or that the land or premises have been sold or let, subject to contract.

(3) The advertisement shall be removed within 14 days after the completion of a sale or the grant of a tenancy.

(4) No advertisement may exceed in area?

(a)where the advertisement relates to residential use or development,0.5 square metre or, in the case of two joined boards, 0.6 square metre in aggregate;

(b)where the advertisement relates to any other use or development, 2 square metres or, in the case of two joined boards, 2.3 square metres in aggregate.

(5) Where the advertisement is displayed on a building, the maximum projection permitted from the face of the building is 1 metre.

(6) Illumination is not permitted.

(7) No character or symbol on the advertisement may be more than 0.75 metre in height, or 0.3 metre in an area of special control.

(8) No part of the advertisement may be higher above ground level than4.6 metres, or 3.6 metres in an area of special control or, in the case of a sale or letting of part only of a building, the lowest level of that part of the building on which display is reasonably practicable.

-- The Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) (England) Regulations 2007, Schedule 3 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/783/schedule/3/made

NessD Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We took ours down after a month ourselves and

> dropped it off outside the estate agents door one

> evening.

Wish I had done that! In the past I've just taken it down myself after a week if it hasn't been removed and binned it.

From memory most agents seem to take them back themselves.

I contacted Pickwick Estates many times to remove my sign, and they completely ignored me. I was not surprised, as their general attitude throughout the sale process could not have been worse..

In the end, I simply put it through the rubbish / recycling. Such a waste!

I agree with James Barber's comments above - get rid of it ASAP as it increases your risk of being robbed!

James Barber Wrote:

> I removed the one outside our house the day I

> moved in. They shout 'burgle me'.

> The first siz months of moving somewhere you're at

> significantly more risk of being burgled.

Why? Wouldn't you have less stuff to pinch?

I used to live in a block of flats in Deptford that every estate agents in the area used as free advertising space. Signs had been up for years - attached with nails that had rusted! I took them all down and used the wood etc for diy projects.

Hi Dopamine1979,

When you move in neighbours don't know you so don't keep an eye out for you and your stuff. You're not as aware of an area and you don't have drilled habits of locking doors and windows.

Best things people do when moving in is invite neighbours round for a pleasant drink. The quicker you know your neighbours the safer usually you'll be.

Sometimes you'll find somewhere on the board small print advertising for the sign company which produces the board and erects the sign. Xpress Signs are the most local to East Dulwich and provide the service to most agents locally. Ring them direct, they'll put it on their job run, providing they work for that particular agent, and get paid to remove them with or without the agents permission!

Can the articulate customer discourage a house agent from installing those non-biodegradable signboards at all?

Waste's reached unacceptable levels. Sheets of bilious looking advertising plastic lurk behind every wall, garage and front garden shrub.

The wooden posts are a recyclable item. Uses limited only to our imagination.

Two experiences -- a telephone call to HAART and to what has now become ONEMOVE, about ten years apart -- the day after the telephone call, in both instances, the signs were gone. Surprised to learn that other estate agents are less obliging.

NessD Wrote:

> We took ours down after a month ourselves and

> dropped it off outside the estate agents door one

> evening.

Well done NessD! The house next to ours has had their 'Let By...' sign up for about 6 months now and I find it really irritating! Might follow you lead!