Eclipse internet provider

Guest Tim

I wondered how many people out there in East Dulwich are users of Eclipse for their broadband internet service provider. I know that my neighbour and myself are Eclipse customers and we are both having issues with connectivity and speed. Is anyone else also having problems with Eclipse? We have both, independently, complained to Eclipse and tried to point out that both of us are having problems and we have not had satisfactory answers. If there are more Eclipse customers out there suffering we could band together and put more pressure on them.

That might be because eclipse is famously cheap...however I use Eclipse for business reasons as my ISP in West London and I NEVER had a single problem, Eclipse relies on "leased" lines and I know for a fact that their "customer service" isn't the fastest and greatest in the world..... Keep bothering them... eventually you'll get satisfaction

I use BEbroadband, I live in a multi use computer house (6 comps) and they have the best options that suited our needs. 24mpbs speed and unlimited downloads for ?24 per month.

Their help line is free and open 24hours a day albeit you're calling Russia I believe and trying to explain an issue is an issue in itself. Generally had no real problems with them and they're pretty fast.

Broadband performance is influenced by two things:

1) The contention ratio at the exchange (i.e. how many users you are sharing the 'pipe' with at the exchange)

2) The distance your house is from the exchange.

For example - I used to be with PlusNet. I was paying for an 8Mb service but could only get 6 as I am 'quite a distance' from the Exchange (it's halfway up Lordship Lane). The 6Mb however was very quick as the contention ratio I was paying for was only 20:1 (in short that's good). PlusNet's broadband service was good but I didn't need all that I was paying for ?24/mth. So I moved to Sky for a ?5'er a month. I have the same speed line (up to 8Mb) but the performance is rubbish as the contention ratio is about 50:1 I think. Sometimes my download speeds are slower than dial up. So the bottom line is that you get what you pay for. I can handle the slow speeds as I'm the only power user in the house, but if you want more, pay for more.

Always ask what the contention ratio is. The unfortunate thing is that the response will probably be the sound of tumbleweed rolling past the headset at the other end of the line as the indian/russian call centre worker wonders to him/herself what the hell that is.

Good luck!

I use Homechoice, which is enabled everwhere in East Dulwich.

it's ?32 a month, but I get 4Mb broadband, and the medium TV package, which is an excellent alternative to Sky or cable. Also because the Tv comes through your broadband line, lots of channels have video on demand programs, and you can rent movies through the box.

Easier than going to Apollo video store anyway!