Dropped kerb application

Zedd

I feel I must apologise in advance in case I'm being totally inept but I can't find information about how to apply for a dropped kerb anywhere on the Southwark Council website.

Can anyone help, or at least tell me which department I need to phone if there is indeed nothing on the website?

PS. I did do a search on here but can't find anything relevant either...

I fail to see that another parking space has gone. Prior to having a dropped kerb my car was parked in the road, occupying approximately four metres of road space.

The permitted single driveway width I was told /allowed is two point five metres, this means an additional one point five metres of road parking space is now available as my vehicle is off road. The calculations are quite simple, car parked in road, 4 metres of road parking space lost, car parked on drive 2.5 metres of road space lost, increase in available road space for parking 1.5 metres.

Hi Zedd,

I recently applied for a dropped kerb and found it impossible to find info on the website. I called around the houses and eventually ended up with Chris Johnson as Drxyster suggested though I have a different address:

LBS Highways, Asset Management Business Unit, Copeland Road Depot, Blackpool Road, Peckham, SE153SN ahve to send a letter with a photo or drawing of your house showinbg where you want the kerb to be dropped and including your contact phone number. I havent actually heard back yet but only posted the letter on Sunday so am waiting with finger crossed. Unfortunately I did not note down his phone number when I spoke to him.

Hope this helps!

To edhistory,

Front garden not destroyed, car area was occupied by dead grass and wheelie bins. Grass would not grow due too large Laburnam tree. Laburnam is now flourishing and looks beautiful when in flower and very attractive when not in flower.

Thanks for the helpful comments - they are very much appreciated.

Nope, not a parking space lost. In fact there will be a parking space GAINED. We are a selfish, petrol-loving 2 car household (go on, have a field day with that - you know you want to...;-) so by converting HALF of our garden into a drive we will free up a space on the road as we will then park our second car across the driveway.

Front garden also not destroyed as it is currently a wasteland occupied by wheelie bins and weeds.

Hope that reassures some of you :-)

So yours will be the car covered in Laburnam flowers. We got our dropped kerb/kebab some 10 years ago and I recall the very same contact. It was a very easy process. No more parking 2 streets away however mindless numpties will park across your drive from time to time.

Zedd Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> we will free up a space on the road as we will then park

> our second car across the driveway.

Don't do that! The wardens will ticket you faster than you can say "but it's my house!"

Yes, you are selfish for oh so many reasons. Has anybody noticed how many dropped kerbs front garden parking spaces cannot actually accomodate the length of the vehicle therefore the vehicle protrudes onto the pavement and obstructing it and causing problems for pedestrians, disabled, visually impaired and mums with prams to name but a few. (What are you doing about that JB?)

Jeremy Wrote:

> Zedd Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > we will free up a space on the road as we will

> then park

> > our second car across the driveway.

>

> Don't do that! The wardens will ticket you faster

> than you can say "but it's my house!"

Really? We've had cars parked across our drive many times and there has only ever been one ticket issued*, despite alerting the local authority and police. Ditto re our neighbours. The council have informed us that their policy is not to ticket cars parked across driveways unless specifically told to by the owner of the house.

* One Xmas day a vehicle blocked us in, reluctantly had to call the police as a last resort. 3 hours late for family Xmas dinner. Nice.

UncleBen Wrote:

> Yes, you are selfish for oh so many reasons. Has

> anybody noticed how many dropped kerbs front

> garden parking spaces cannot actually accomodate

> the length of the vehicle therefore the vehicle

> protrudes onto the pavement and obstructing it and

> causing problems for pedestrians, disabled,

> visually impaired and mums with prams to name but

> a few. (What are you doing about that JB?)

Exactly UncleBen, having a Car does not give you a right to a parking space, having a dropped kerb in front of your house does not give you more rights, why do they expect the Local Council to 'police' their parking space?

So many houses in London now have concrete over very small front gardens, what is wrong with people?

stacey-lyn - I'm just going by what I've heard on here. As well as a general distrust of traffic wardens. I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

I don't think there's anything wrong with creating a driveway if you're lucky enough to have the space. You can still put plants in the borders and stuff.

• 9 months later...
Hope you had luck. We had one put in and Conway the comedians deployed by Southwark, actually put a dropped kerb in smaller than a car! So that's a fat wad of cash to the council and weeks chasing them down to rectify the problem! I think Con-Way couldn't be arsed to dig up a small drain...