New entrance to Denmark Hill station

I know some of my fellow east dulwich-ites commute via Denmark hill station - what do you make of the new entrance? It's not improved much in my opinion - you can now walk down to the platforms using two dofferent routes but the foyer and outside the entrance is a mess. There is no clear in or out so people just pile in, there is only one oyster machine and the queuing space for that is not big enough and people in the queue obscure the departure boards. There's no cash machine anymore either. Then there's the space outside the station - the pavement is narrow and gets blocked up with people - especially smokers- who get in the way. It's chaos!

Having used it a few weeks, the main hassle I experience us the single small departures screen.

If I stop to look at it before going through barriers I'm blocking other people who're trying to get to the barriers, if I try and look after going through the barriers I'm blocking those trying to exit the barriers, so I have to do a fast-track glance as I pass through - which is foiled if the page on the screen has not refreshed to the train I want to check.

I think there should be another screen, perhaps after the barriers.

The pavement outside is not narrow at all, it's wide - however it does get congested with smokers and people waiting to meet others.

I hope the cafe manages to keep going but fear they'll be by-passed unless there's decent signage deployed.

What about some railings directly outside the entrance - people can easily spill out into the road?

I think the pavement is too narrow during busy times, usually you have a station entrance set back a bit from a road to allow people to loiter and wait. It seems very little thought has gone into how people use the station.

I have to agree with you all. It's so poorly designed. I hope the 'architects' are hanging their heads in shame.

An appalling use of public money to produce a confused sub standard design which for most users has resulted in a reduction in utility.

I suspect the excuse would be protecting the listed components of the buildings. But the additions are so poorly conceived that they've significantly detracted from the listed building.

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Without bad design, bad commissioning, bad project

> management, and bad implementation there would be

> no remedial contracts.

>

> John K

xxxxxxx

How cynical! But I'm sure you're right.

I don't use the station but I pass by and it's ugly. As a non-user I guess I had been thinking "oh well it's ugly but at least it's serving a purpose". Apparently not even. How sad to make a building ugly without achieving anything for the users.

About a month ago I asked what was going on with the lifts and I was told that they have 'electricity issues' and that they can't be connected to the mains and that they should be working in the near future. I read that as 'We have run out of money and we don't know when they will be working, if they ever do'.

Coffee place is not there any more, the whole of the old ticket hall is having work done on it. Not sure what.

Overall, I'm not a fan. It's good to have two sets of staircases, but that's it.

One Oyster machine is intensely annoying.

No cash machine, or cafe/kiosk.

Exit in the wrong place - if the old one reopens, they're basically the same thing. One further west, and one on the Maudsley side (as there is some activity there) would help spread people out. And lessen the walk for those coming from Champion/DK Hill/C Grove.

A short path could easily connect to the deck where the lifts are.

Gates always open anyway so hardly being monitored. Screens tiny and if you stop to look at them, you're in everyone's way.

Terrible design overall. And it's an increasingly busy/important station - why has it been so shite?

The West Hampstead Thameslink rebuild was a huge success and is a similar layout of station. Looks reasonable too. Was this not done as part of the Thameslink project maybe?

RosieH Wrote:

> Are there any plans for a second entrance on

> Windsor Walk does anyone know? Was trying to work

> out what the activity on that side was today.

That would make some sense. I remember when they had a temporary entrance there a couple of winters ago. We need multiple exits around the station's site. I am interested to see what they are going to do with the old ticket hall - currently being refurbished. Hopefully it will reopen and be another option but might not be an exit as there isn't really a space for ticket barriers. If the Phoenix bar was not there, then the station might be more spacious. You could have spill out where the outside of the bar currently is. However, am I right in saying that historically there was once a brewery and pub on the station's site and this burnt down, and hence The Phoenix was built sans the brewery. Can't argue with history...

Totally agree that it's an awful waste of money due to the poor design. This morning they had alternate in and out Oyster gates, so people get caught up with each other coming in and out (better to have the out ones together and the in ones together to improve the flow).

I'd like to know what is happening with the old entrance. If there was any way that could be made exit only and the new one entrance only it would work much better in terms of flow through the station.

cle Wrote:

> Exit in the wrong place - if the old one reopens,

> they're basically the same thing. One further

> west, and one on the Maudsley side (as there is

> some activity there) would help spread people out.

> And lessen the walk for those coming from

> Champion/DK Hill/C Grove.

> A short path could easily connect to the deck

> where the lifts are.

I agree and this is what has bewildered me about the project. Looking at the design as it stands it is obvious that a second exit, accessible by steps, should have been created in the area you describe. And indeed, it wouldn't have been difficult to factor this is to the initial design and building phase. The problem with the new way of accessing the platforms is that from the current entrance it is still a much longer way of getting to the platforms. Whereas with the second entrance we are discussing, it would have been the natural entry point from anyone coming from Champions Hill which would have streamlined the new station layout at a very minimal extra cost.

Plus the whole new part of the station looks pretty ugly. Did they run out of money for a coat of paint on the horrible greyness of it all?