Any ideas what's happening with the tarpaulin covered 'shop-fronts' nr Dulwich Library/The Plough?

Months ago I asked someone on site and he told me it would be 5 shops and 10 flats above. Not seen much work going on recently and wondered whether it had come to a standstill, maybe because of financial problems but I did hear some hammering in there last week so either it's still going ahead or they had an industrious intruder...?

Last week a guy knocked on my door and told me he and his colleagues were fitting flooring in the flats above those shops and was I interested in any because they reckoned they'd have a lot left over. Sounds dodgy?? Having just laid a new floor I politely declined...

Nice idea Macroban but if I had ?600k floating around in cash, trust me I would be in some exotic location sunning myself right now!

Re the wood flooring DEFINITELY sounds dodgy... that's always the line that they just 'happen' to have lots left over from some big job...

The rule is that when purchasing hard wood flooring one orders on average size room, 2 square metres more than you need to cover the area, to allow for cuts and wastage.

If you buy the correct amount and run short you will not usually match it up with your following purchase.

So it may not be that dodgy, but I suspect they would want cash, not a cheque;-)

last time I heard anything was that there were going to be individual units (not sure whether shop of office) to hire.

At one stage some of the units were supposed to be for the temporary use of Dulwich Library whilst they had their refit. But the building work on the shops and flats had taken so long that nothing ever came of it.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...