Car2go Please Do One!!

Is anybody else getting annoyed with this company??

One o these cars has been parked on East Dulwich Grove for over a week now right in the middle of 2 parking spaces. Inconsiderate S***s.

As if parking isn't bad enough in this area already.

Please if your going to park these cars up at least find a small space not a space ment for two cars.

Vanessa.

Yes! We had two parked right outside our house where parking can be difficult anyway. I spoke to the operative checking them and whilst informing me that there will be 600 of them across London (!) he did move one round the corner. The other one stayed for 11 days without moving. Zipcars have clear parking spaces agreed by the Council, these ones have GPS and the idea is you check where your nearest one is, take it where you want to go and then just leave it legally parked. I am not against car clubs in general, but this company seems to be putting a lot of cars into a small area without consideration of residents

It's less that the company are putting them there, but more likely that their users are.

From what I understand so far, they're widening their 'home area' (where the cars need to be left behind) all the time, and just recently this has included many parts of East Dulwich and surrounding areas. However, it would seem that everything to the east of Barry Road (ish) is outside the 'home area', and so people who want to go outside the home area park up inside it (i.e. in ED) and then walk the last little bit, leaving the car behind.

In theory that's good for members in ED, but whilst the scheme is so new and take-up isn't significant, many of the cars are being left behind.

Their parking policy is that, if it's legal, it's legal. They don't have designated bays like ZipCar. In Islington and Sutton you can appearently leave it in a Pay & Display zone. Around here, anything (legal) goes, just like any other car. If the streets of ED were in a CPZ, for instance then it'd be a different matter, and that's presumably why the Car2Go 'Home Area' missed out huge chunks of south & central London.

Hold on, why can't someone park a car on a street legally. The fact that this is a 'pool car' surely means it's much less selfish than taking up public space with an entirely private car. At least these cars are available to many more people to use. Seems like a good thing to me.

They are also around the Herne hill area but they seem to be considerately parked so no real issues.

Any car could park and be left if its not permit /residents road. I have had a car parked in front of my house thats not moved for weeks - so not much that can be done about that either. The perils of living without a drive or in a CPZ.

Lots of people in London do not use cars much (shopping only) - so they would be parked 99% of the time

I have a designated spot - but if you don't it'll be stuck somewhere for a week if it was used like mine.

herne hilly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They are also around the Herne hill area but they

> seem to be considerately parked so no real

> issues.

> Any car could park and be left if its not permit

> /residents road. I have had a car parked in front

> of my house thats not moved for weeks - so not

> much that can be done about that either. The

> perils of living without a drive or in a CPZ.

MarkE Wrote:

> However, it would seem that

> everything to the east of Barry Road (ish) is

> outside the 'home area', and so people who want to

> go outside the home area park up inside it (i.e.

> in ED) and then walk the last little bit, leaving

> the car behind.

Turns out that's slightly incorrect - I was going by an old version of the home area on their website, and it does extend further east than that (just not in the CPZ areas), so the theory I suggested as to why they're bunched up is a load of tosh. They don't have a home location, though, so as soon as a member drives one off, it'll live there for a while.

They have a free lifetime membership offer at the moment. Slightly impractical, but if one was annoyed enough and desperate enough, they could sign up and move the cars themselves (for 35p/min!).

Wow 0.35 per minute! So I thought I'd have alook, cos I thought MarkE may have made a typo and that should be 0.35per mile!!! But he didnt!!!

There are per hour and day rates, but also not so free membership....theres a one time set-up fee of ?29.90! unless theres some kind of voucher code??

StraferJack Wrote:

> 13 of them in dulwich. Lets say they are used by

> just 20 regulars. Would people be happy if those

> 20 people bought cars and took up more spaces?

Depends SJ, would these be Jaguars, two racing green Ds, white, red, black and pink Es and black and red Mk2s? A Karmann Ghia or two perhaps, a tan one and a navy one? A '55 Merc Gullwing. Or two, PG.

Aston Martin DB5s, two silver, one gold?

And two Bubble cars, any colours, an orange Bond Bug and two camo Jeeps?

I'd be chuffed to NAFFI breaks, it'd both aesthetic and encoolen the hood up to an insurmountable degree.

It would, it really would.

I was about to make exactly this point.

StraferJack Wrote:

> 13 of them in dulwich. Lets say they are used by

> just 20 regulars. Would people be happy if those

> 20 people bought cars and took up more spaces?

mrsilencio Wrote:

> I was about to make exactly this point.

>

> StraferJack Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > 13 of them in dulwich. Lets say they are used

> by

> > just 20 regulars. Would people be happy if

> those

> > 20 people bought cars and took up more spaces?

About to? Exactly?

Usually I wouldn't, but tonight, compelled.

Agree with mrsilenco.

Car2go isn't the reason you can't park. That's because people own too many cars to start with. Car pooling is a pretty sensible way of cutting the amount of cars on the road.

I use zipcar, but if I bought a car that'd make the situation worse. For what it's worth, I don't see that car pool drivrs are more inconsiderate. Especially when some owners get territorial about wanting to park right outside their house. I rarely can park outside my own home when I hire one either.

Also, car pooling is already catching on. I often can't get the one nearest to me or ocassionally at all. That's why there are so many of them. They have to enough of them on the street so it's not completely impractical and so people don't go back to buying their own car if they don't one.

northlondoner Wrote:

> Anyone ever seen a Car Club space in use ? No,

> neither have I .

Presumably because the cars are being used. That's a good thing! There are a number of Zipcars for instance that are in use for most waking hours every day (such as the ones on Felbrigg, or Ashdown). But when the cars aren't being used, they need somewhere to go.

Six people using one car for an hour each, and one empty parking space for six hours is clearly preferable over five cars taking up space on the street for the other five hours they're not in use.

Don't read too much into it, StraferJ, I reckon she may have joined up with one of these vehicle share companies and even as we 'speak' be stuck in an underground thoroughfare, rendering her iDevice impotent, causing her to utter blasphemy in a continuous monotone.

Like so many before her, she's suffering from car-pool tunnel sin-drone.