Doctors: Diagnosis By Phone

I'm sorry if this has past me by in the world in general, but called my docs today (Melbourne Grove Medical Practice) to ask for an appointment, as have had some fainting of late, and also badly twisted my ankle during one of them, so wanted to get checked out.

Was told by the receptionist that the doctor will call me later today to have a discussion with me about my symptoms, and to see if I then warrant an appointment! Receptionist said this was introduced today and is their new way of working.

I'm sorry, has the world passed me by, but is this the way all doctors are going?

Ladygooner Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What?! That is terrible! This is where my Doctor

> is too. Hope you get to tell the Doctor what you

> think of this new system and get an appointment

> pronto.

I will, IF they ever call me. Was supposed to be called at 10am.....off to chase them now...

**EDIT**

"The doctor has not yet called me"

"I think they tried to call you, but you didn't answer"

"No, phone is on my desk next to me, it hasn't rang."

"I can get them to call you this afternoon between 2 and 3 pm."

So we wait.....

So you get a consultation without having to leave the house? Sounds alright to me.

One thing that always gets me is receptionists asking you what is wrong. Firstly it's confidential and as far as I'm aware working in a surgery does not give you powers to make medical judgements.

pk Wrote:

> surely avoiding unnecessary appointments is in the

> interests of both doctor and patient and could

> lead to a better service for those attending the

> surgery?

Or (cynically) It is an exercise in reducing costs, or maybe allowing more time to allow private work by the doctors?...

Yes it could, and can see the sense in that, but had the doctor called me back then maybe I'd not be so wound up about this. Also, had they actually written to us and informed us of this as well. It's all about how you introduce something like this.

Does a GP now get paid the same for a phone consultation or an in-person consultation?

[P.S. I think that quotation from the 1970s is wrong. Shouldn't it be: "When it comes to binary there are 10 types of people". At least, that's the way I remember it.]

I use the same surgery and have noticed recently that getting an appointment anytime soon is near on impossible, seems you have to diarise being injured / ill at least a week in advance ;-)

Last time I went, having waited a week to see a Dr, she then consulted the internet (as I had already done) and told me to do what I had told her I had been doing for the last month! I then was told to give it another week and then see a different doctor who knew about sports injuries.......... hmmmm

That said, I am sure that the new system can only help matters, just concerning that things could be missed given that they get missed even when a Dr is seen in person :'(

This hapened to us at forest hill practice. we called them to get an appointment mid-afternoonish for a kid with a near 40 degree temperature, they said they'd get the on-call dr. to call back. which they did 3 hours later, after we'd given up on them and gone to a&e.

it's playing with fire if something untoward happens in that time.

LostThePlot Wrote:

> Ladygooner Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > What?! That is terrible! This is where my

> Doctor

> > is too. Hope you get to tell the Doctor what

> you

> > think of this new system and get an appointment

> > pronto.

>

> I will, IF they ever call me. Was supposed to be

> called at 10am.....off to chase them now...

> **EDIT**

>

> "The doctor has not yet called me"

>

> "I think they tried to call you, but you didn't

> answer"

>

> "No, phone is on my desk next to me, it hasn't

> rang."

>

> "I can get them to call you this afternoon between

> 2 and 3 pm."

>

> So we wait.....

I've been going through exactly the same this morning. Didn't get to my phone between 10 and 10.30 and just got a message saying I'd have top call again to make another appointment for a phone call (now between 2 and 3 also)

I complained on the phone that this process was ridiculous and the receptionist sounded like I wasn't the first person to have told her this :)

All I want is a referral to a physio on my private cover.

hmmm past experiences from friends and family show its worth being persistent and not being brushed off. I think for non serious complaints a telephone consultation is fine, but if there is any chance the problem is serious / life threatening, it definitely pays to be persistent. That applies just as much to face to face consultations as well as telephone one's!

Am I wrong in thinking that I am not the only person who has a remedial knowledge of human physiology and is generally aware of how their body should be functioning? I?ll decide whether I need to see the doctor or not. I am the one paying their fucking salary after all.

My wife had issues with this last week and made a formal complaint. The reply is below

I have taken some bits out that are unconnected.

Dear Mrs ratty,

Thank you for your email.

I can only apologise you have had such a frustrating experience of using our service. The chronology of events you describe ought not to have happened, and is neither in keeping with our new appointment system, nor our pledge to give our patients the quickest, most convenient care possible.

You will receive a letter from us early next week which describes the way we are innovating our appointment system. I am attaching this letter and user guide for your reference in the meantime. As you will see, the new appointment system is much simpler than the old one, not more complicated. In short, a first contact nurse or a doctor now call all patients in need of senior clinical attention the same day the patient contacts the surgery. Over the phone the clinician is able to treat the patient including issuing a prescription if necessary, or will book the patient in for a face-to-face appointment if a physical examination is needed. This system means that the customer service team no longer need to interrogate patients who contact the surgery in such detail as it is now only a senior clinician who can asses the patient and therefore decide on which clinician need see them if the problem cannot be resolved over the phone.

Finally, I will arrange for Dr Simon Fradd, our Chairman, to call you tomorrow to make absolutely sure you receive first rate care relating to your two medical complaints.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention, and please bear with us if there are any teething difficulties bedding the new system in. We genuinely and passionately strive to deliver the best care we can with the resources available.

If you are in anyway unsatisfied with this response, or with any of our services in the future, please contact me directly at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, or call and ask to speak to me at the surgery.

ratty Wrote:

> My wife had issues with this last week and made a

> formal complaint. The reply is below

Ratty, was that with the same surgery? Melbourne Grove?

Also like their use of the word "innovating" which does not necessarily mean improving....

At this practice now you also have to check yourself when you arrive on a computer screen - fine for people who are au fait with computers but not everyone is. Still hopefully this will mean that the receptionists can answer the phones a bit quicker.

I hate that fuking marketing speak crap that they have to use. Do you think it means buggerall to an elderly person who finds themselves ill and in need of care?

Care that is, not ?customer service? a ?clinician?, ?excellence? or whatever other confounding bumph they prattle off to smokescreen their ineptitude.

hard to make the mind up. a little complaint could well be something worse than you thought. For example somebody who (true) was telephoned diagnosed recently with some pains around the upper chest shoulder area. person was told to take some aspirin.

So person said, unfortunately Im allergic to aspirin. "take something like aspirin ....". Feeling a bit peev'd person went for a second opinion. Turned out was heart problems. Huge deal.

I was always told that trainee doctors learn four diagnoses;

1. There's a lot of it about

2. Leave it alone , it'll go away

3. Take two of these

4. I'm going to send you to see a colleague of mine

I ran this past a chum recently, who happens to be a consultant dermatologist. Oh no he said, the fifth diagnosis is by far the most useful.

5. Sit back, put fingers in pyramid, "there's really nothing I can do for you..."

I use Paxton Green Group Practice and they have the telephone doctor service. But it is different to what you mention above.

You can ring up from 9 for a telephone appointment with doctor, and you are put on hold for the duty doctor. The longest I have had to wait is about 10 minutes which is nothing, seeing as if you ring up for a normal appointment, you could be waiting days/weeks!! You can leave a message to get them to ring you back, and they are very prompt. If after the telephone appointment, they want to see you, you'll get an appointment for the same day!! So it works in Paxton Green - I must say I use it the whole time - and have never had a problem.

Since its the first day for your surgery, they probably have some "ironing out" issues!! I hope it gets better for ye!!

I have to say, MElbourne Grove is the worst surgery I have ever been to....

For a start it is so messy and dirty. When I went there there was rubbish everywhere on the floor - by the kids toys...

Then nobody was authorised to write prescription - I don't get that with the 5-6people working there at the time,nobody was qualified to write a prescription...madness!

But then the staff is really nice...: )