Gigs / Local Bands

tommo

Just moved in to the area, where are all the local gigs ? are there any half decent local bands ? any venues even ? went down to the Half Moon as I know it used to be a proper venue but nothing happening - went to The Mag but it was getting gutted

went there last friday and the bands were truly terrible - after watching part of a very average gig at The Rose, should have stayed at the Rose, at least the Hob had a very late bar and the bands kept me laughing with their awfulness 9no disrespect intended but I expected them to ne competent at worst)

tommo... what are you looking for, pub bands playing covers, or up-and-coming originals bands making a bit of a racket?

It's a fairly suburban area, so not much around... but the latter can be found in New Cross and Brixton. The former can sometimes be found at The Hob in Forest Hill, as Otta said. Music at The Half Moon tends to be more of a one-off thing than regular band nights.

There are a few folk gigs locally - not really my bag, but I believe they book quality acts and are well attended.

I've come from Camden / Kentish Town so I guess I've been a bit spoilt for choice - not one for cover bands - like young indy things and experienced proper old school rock / blues etc, don't mind acoustic but not finger in ear folky stuff - maybe jsut had a bad first experience - friday 2 not so good gigs and saturday a wasted trip

Bet it was packed

trendy feel to Rye Lane on Saturday. again :)

PN33 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Completely depends what you want. There was an

> amazing Soul Band on at the Bussey Building on

> Saturday, the Amersham Arms in New Cross regularly

> host gigs too. There's often swing nights and

> stuff at the Great Exhibition too

Once things at The Ivy House have settled in, there will be live bands there.

We have a gig there on 27 September, but it has been sold out for some time and anyway if you aren't keen on traditional folk you probably wouldn't like that particular night .....

We do however put on quite a wide range of stuff, including blues and acoustic, if you like people like Wizz Jones. It's not all finger-in-the-ear!

You can check out our website at http://www.thegooseisout.com and see if anything appeals to you. We also put on monthly gigs upstairs at The Old Nun's Head, plus a monthly Singaround (not an open mic - we don't use the PA or the stage on those nights).

Thanks - but still really nothing in Dulwich itself - how sad

here's what I appear to have found so far relating to Dulwich (not environs) :-

EDT - occassional music - nothing regular - hit and miss

HOUSE OF TIPPLER - insipid cover duos etc

PLOUGH - nothing

CHERRY TREE - have been advised that nobody goes in there or will go in there

DRAUGHT HOUSE - nothing

HAMLET - used to do folk but no rock

THE ROSE - the odd open night / average acts on (judged from last friday)

THE HERNE - nothing

THE CLOCK HOUSE - nothing

tommo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks - but still really nothing in Dulwich

> itself - how sad

>

xxxxxx

Depending on where you are starting from, The Ivy House and The Old Nun's Head are not long walks from East Dulwich - maybe fifteen or twenty minutes from the North Cross Road area.

The EDT does sometimes have good music, eg The John McClean Band were on there downstairs not so long ago.

They're all pub bands down this neck of the woods. Brixton is nearest but you're best bet is to head up on the overground to Highbury, Islington etc for the academy, Lexington, Union Chapel etc. Direct train home as well if you forego the post-gig beers.

I've seen some bearable pub bands down here but no decent proper bands.