Tree scuplture junction of East Dulwich Road UNVEILING 10am Sun 23 Feb 2014

PeckhamRose

looking forward to what they will produce!! there seems an awful lot of trees being chopped down at the moment...im no expert but why chop something down that seems perfectly happy growing but a slight risk of falling on someone in the event of a hurricane ! I accept that some trees have to go as they reach the end of their natural life but in peckham rye park it seems like treeocide.

This one had been dead for years. Indeed there was a rumour I heard that it was fake and doubled as a Vodafone mast! But recently indeed a lot of trees were cut shorter, and some of the reasons included that they were seriously at risk of damaging homes (those near homes, obviously!) and in the park there were health issues of some of the trees. The Arborculturalist (I think that's the title? probably not) from Southwark Council did a thorough recce with the Tree Surgeon.

@PeknamRose the title of a person who tinkers with trees is called an arborist or tree surgeon i believe (or sculptor/artist in my case)... indeed we are carving a sculpture from the dead Plane tree (or finding the sculpture within it az they say in artspeak) with a community theme suggestid by a Peknam person. John Martin a local resident applied for funding for it via the Cleaner, Greener, Safer scheme run by Nils Battye at Southwark council which also funded the nearby bollarts and mural project outside the Herne Tavern. the funding schemes are awarded on a yearly basis with community improve idea suggestid by people who live and werk in the borough..yous can suggest ideas for it anytime... cheers. morganico(.com)"

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When William Blake was alive his "Peckham Rye" is

> what we now call Warwick Gardens and adjacent

> streets.

>

> John K

Is that right? I'd be very interested to see what evidence there is for this.

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> http://research.english-heritage.org.uk/report/?14

> 789

>

> Page 84. Footnote 107.

>

> The Warhurst is not very detailed on this. You can

> probably consult a copy at the Local Studies

> Library.

>

> In the past I've posted a few old maps on the EDF

> illustraing this point.

>

> A local historian (not me) is preparing an article

> on this.

>

> John K

I delved a bit and found this.

http://thetreesaroundnunhead.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/blake-angels-etc.html

Very interesting. I'd love to see the article when it's produced.

The blog you located nails it.

I've looked behind the Gilchrist too and found nothing written by Blake himself.

Dulwich Hill (as it was called) rises from Warwick Gardens and then becomes Grove Hill, Dog Kennel Hill, Champion Hill, Denmark Hill, and Herne Hill. It's an interesting geological feature with a surprising origin.

John K

please dont mention NAILS! that tree stump is full of them and they keep blunting my tools! grrrr.... i estimate the sculpture will take about a month or so to complete... (so, how long is a piece of string? lol)

the sculpture design is of 5 characters based on local people holding hands around the base, 2 Easter island Moai above then balancing a globe on their heads at the top...

this forum has enlightened me to the knowledge that William Blake once lived in the area therefore will try to add some element referencing him on it too..

cheer

morganico

• 2 months later...