The Demolition of 34 East Dulwich Grove

Marcus

I had the distinct impression that public feeling was against this, and that local residents did not want a block of flats replacing a beautiful old house.

Following planning rejections, and to the cynically minded, one might have been forgiven for suspecting the house was intentionally left to decay, with the bare minimum done to thwart any Compulsory Purchase Order type situations. Sad really.

So it continues anyway. Contempt of the local people. Apathy of the local people (myself included).

I understand the duplication issue, but the thread title better reflects the current situation? A little more dramatic...The scaffolding was going up today, a gentleman I questioned said the bulding was coming down. I'm guessing they have instructions to do it as quickly as possible to avoid any objections.

Anyway, by all means, delete the thread if it suits administative purposes.

The site owner won on appeal to rebuild the site into 5 flats.

The orignal application was efused by local councillors for a variety of still good reaosn - but then I would say that.

The planning inspector isagreed and approved the scheme.

So much for local democracy. The proposed building is an over intensification of the site. It will increase parking stress. Hopefully the developer will make the best possible quality building despite the proposed scheme and it wont blott this corner of East Dulwich as much as many fear.

James,

The appeal decision also states that an "Application for Costs was made by DML Contracting (Mr Steve Thorpe) against the London Borough of Southwark."

Could you or anyone else provide any detail concerning the potential extent of this compensation?

Ah yes, DML Contracting ( Steve Thorpe)..... Anyone remember them as Decorating Masters Limited with Dave Thorpe in charge ( Steve's father). They occupied the property on the corner of Northcross and Fellbrigg, now Delmar Glazer Solicitors and the Vintage Shop in their old stores yard. If anyone does remember them..... just saying that's all.

The recent appeal success seems to be down to Sheppard Architects who made the submission on behalf of Mr Steve Thorpe of DML Contracting.

Charles Sheppard BA DipArch RIBA, sites in his resume, "For many years Charles was an architect member of... and also a member of the Victorian Society?s Southern Building Committee."

The Victorian Society - caring for Victorian and Edwardian Architecture

"Our role in saving Victorian and Edwardian buildings

Victorian and Edwardian buildings are irreplaceable, cherished, diverse, beautiful, familiar and part of our everyday life. They contribute overwhelmingly to the character of places people love and places where people live. They belong to all of us. Their owners are really only custodians for future generations."

I have asked Charles Sheppard for a response. Will post when received - not that it will make the slightest bit of difference, but just out of interest...

Application documents showing Mr. C. Sheppard as the applicant can be accessed here, by entering the address in the search box:

http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/

http://www.sheppardarchitects.co.uk/people/index.html

http://www.victoriansociety.org.uk/about/our-role-in-saving-victorian-and-edwardian-buildings/

@adonirum, DML Contracting and Decorating Masters Limited are two different companies. DML Contracting Ltd is shown as dormant from 2006 and in the accounts made up to 31/3/2013. Decorating Masters Ltd is shown as still active. Steve Thorpe is also listed as director of Gordian Resolutions Ltd (dormant at 31/3/2012) and Thorpe Group Ltd (active, net worth of about ?4m at March 2012).

One of accuracy, Mr Barber states "The site owner won on appeal to rebuild the site into 9 flats", it should read 5 Flats. Councillors have a duty to state accurate information lest they influence the opinion of their constituents for the wrong reasons.

@Marcus, although the 30/10/2012 decision of the appeal against Southwark's refusal of application 11/AP/3865 is on the Southwark site, as http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/DocsOnline/Documents/261007_1.pdf, the Costs Decision of the same date seems not be there. It is available at http://www.pcs.planningportal.gov.uk/pcsportal/fscdav/READONLY?OBJ=COO.2036.300.12.4781599, found after entering the appellant's name with spaces, 'D M L Contracting'.

The council was ordered to pay costs on only the third of the three grounds on which the application was based, and it was left to the parties to agree the amount. None was mentioned in the judgment or the application. The application is at http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/DocsOnline/Documents/227682_1.pdf.

There is a further planning application 13/AP/3306 still pending ("Application type: S.73 Vary/remove conds/minor alterations") at http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9551626. "Consultation period ends: 17/11/2013".

Curmudgeon Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think its disgusting that such a lovely building

> should have been purposefully left to rot and be

> redeveloped by an investor despite planning

> permission being denied on a number of occasions

>

> I've heard some horrible rumours concerning its

> initial acquisition too

Why did you not buy it back from the developer / or get together with likeminded people to purchase it?

researcher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> @adonirum, DML Contracting and Decorating Masters

> Limited are two different companies. DML

> Contracting Ltd is shown as dormant from 2006 and

> in the accounts made up to 31/3/2013. Decorating

> Masters Ltd is shown as still active. Steve Thorpe

> is also listed as director of Gordian Resolutions

> Ltd (dormant at 31/3/2012) and Thorpe Group Ltd

> (active, net worth of about ?4m at March 2012).

Thanks for the confirmation.

This is very sad. I've only lived in ED for 2 years, but I've walked past this house countless times as it's on my way to the station watching it slowly crumble. Though I'm not surprised, we're rather good in this country of completely disregarding our architectural heritage all in the name of money and so called 'progress'. Shame.

It appears that demolition has begun today.

Too little too late, I know - and arguably pointless... But maybe those proclaiming their dedication to the preservation of London's architectural heritage, should be asked why they would help facilitate such a project?

http://www.victoriansociety.org.uk/contact/about-a-building/

[email protected]

Dear James,

A beautiful local house is being demolished to make way for flats. It

has been speculated, widely, that following a planning refusal almost

ten years ago, the house has been intentionally left to decay by a

cynical deveolper.

There is significant local opposition:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1213634

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,297833

Planning as been denied on numerous occaissions, and opposition to the

demolition has been supported by local councillors.

So, after years of refusal why has this been suddenly approved??

It would appear that Sheppard Architects provided the expertise,

helping the developer find a way through the legal framework and

thwart the local community.

Ironically, Sheppard Architects is headed by Charles Sheppard. Mr

Sheppard states on his resume:

"For many years Charles was an architect member of the London Diocesan

Advisory Committee for the Care of Churches and also a member of the

Victorian Society?s Southern Building Committee."

I have contacted him and asked what his reasons are for

supporting this project, but he has declined to comment.

Maybe The Victorian Society could help elicit a response?

Regards,

Reply from James Hughes (The Victorian Society) - worth remembering for the next time this happens. They might lend some useful support.

Dear Marcus

Thanks for your email. I know the building well, and used to pass it

several times a week on my way between Herne Hill and Forest Hill. I was

completely unaware that there had been applications to demolish it. As

it is unlisted, the Council is under no obligation to consult us on the

proposal. All the same, I would certainly have written to object had I

known. If the decision has been overturned at appeal then I'm afraid we

are not in a position to have any influence. It will be another sad

loss, and permanently and detrimentally alter the appearance and

character of the street, particularly given its prominent location.

Yours

James

• 3 months later...