Is Nunhead up and coming?

Hi

We are moving from East Dulwich to Nunhead. Some info off findaproperty.com's guide to SE15 - The south-eastern boundary of SE15 is the long sweep of Ivydale Road, a popular and very long road of Victorian terraces, and hemmed in between this, the Aquarius Golf Course and the Cemetery is the quieter quarter of Nunhead, a permanently in-demand grid of terraced cottages.SE15 is the postcode to be at the moment, nowhere else is attracting such plaudits and the days when Nissan Cars could advertise a motor with the words "Built to tackle the most inhospitable places on earth - including Peckham" are firmly in the history books. No matter how many times they repeat 'Only Fools and Horses'.

I love ED but we have been priced out of the area for a 4 bed house - we haven't got ?700k to spend!

Make me feel better!

Shortly before we moved to ED we looked at a beautiful house in Ivydale Road. It was massive! Three double bedrooms and done up really nicely, decent-sized garden that backed onto the cemetary and seemed really peaceful...

Couldn't afford it. :/

Nunhead is lovely, We've lived here for a couple of years and haven't regretted it at all!

The terraces are generally larger than in ED, as you say 3 proper doubles bedrooms and 3 receptions in the houses around Ivydale. The cemetary is lovely too, only 5 mins to Rye. The trains go into Victoria or Blackfriars, can also get a seat no problems at 8 in the morning.

The main shopping street has all you need, butchers, bakers, fishmongers, also the tarted up Nuns Head pub on the Green.

In terms of value for money for this area it's a no brainer to me, though the prices are rising fast, up 25% in the last 18 months!

The one lovely thing about Nunhead is that is has a whole host of traditional indepdent stores eg Soapers fishmongers, Masons butchers, Ayres the baker, a wonderful grocers.. they arnt organic though SHOCK!! HORROR!! hehe

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so we moved to ED from the States 3 years ago, and absolutely loved it. But in our 3 years here (and our friends' 10 years here especially) we have seen this place change for... well, for the Yuppier. We do love the area and have a few really good friends here, but the pubs have all gone gastro (i mean look what they just did to the clockhouse!!!!), and the high street prices are beginning to reflect the hyped up real-estate prices....

and so, when we started out search for a place to buy, we were forced to widen our scope to the dreaded Nunhead. And, well, we have fallen in love with it. It is pretty chill, and down to earth. There are the beautiful spots, but also some of the less pretty spots that remind us that we still live in London. And there are proper pubs here, and Gastro Pubs too if you want them. There is the Restaurant, a nice hidden gem. And we are just as far from Peckham Rye now as we were in ED, so transport links are just fine... plus the Tube will be coming closer to here than to ED very soon!

Anyway, it is a short 5 min bicycle ride to Lordship lane for shopping if we need it, or a nice walk through a beautiful cemetery to Nunhead's high street.

Move here, and you won't regret it. And seriously Fred, "Make me feel better"? I mean, if you want to stay in ED, then get a better paying job, otherwise, get your priorities straight. Nunhead is a great place.

FredFlange, please feel better!

Nunhead is a wonderful area - it has a good train service into Blackfriars or Victoria, the wonderfully atmospheric Cemetery and the houses and cottages are beautifully preserved.

You are walking distance to Telegraph Hill which has not one, but TWO parks - (go see the amazing views from the dog park at the very top) and the Telegraph Hill festival is simply incredible; many actors, opera singers and TV professional live in the area so the level of talent given freely is fantastic. Then there is the playgroup in the Lower Park where the staff are kind and friendly.

The High Street is brilliant; Ayres the Baker, Sopers, the two florists, the old fashioned grocers. Everyone is lovely - it's like a step back in time.

There is a renowned catholic boys school attached to the church that gets incredibly high grades in maths and sciences. The junior schools are all good!

What's not to love?! The bit you are aiming for is quieter and peaceful - same pretty houses, but more of an East Dulwich feel. There is Waverley gym and the kiddie section of Peckham Rye Park all close by.

I think you done well, my son! (tu)

spymum

(Blog: Posh Mum)

I love Sopers and Ayres the bakers. Evelina Road and Nunhead Lane are rather narrow though, and can be terribly congested - I don't think that the bus drivers' cavalier attitude to clipping the mirrors of parked cars helps. The houses around Ivydale Road look terrific when refurbed and there are some really lovely families and arty types around there. Yvonica Rowe is a GP off Nunhead Lane, and has a terrific reputation as well as being highly unusual in that she is a homeopath and GP - highly popular for this.

It can feel quite scarey around there in pockets - Consort Road is not a place to be at night, and the area has its fair share of social problems and deprivation. On balance it has a not dissimilar feel to Lordship Lane about twenty years ago - although with substantially more traffic.

Keef, you youngster you! You still rock!

Did you 'gig' at Rock Nite!? Where all the slouchy, Vans wearing, almost 'emo' teens looked utterly bored and deeply cool?

How I wish I'd been cool as a teen - why didn't I get to go to a Rock Nite? Unfair!

spymum

I lived in nunhead for a few years,before i sold up and bought a house in norwood,could not afford the houses in nunhead but made some money on the flat sale.Nunhead is a lovely place and the traders are trying to build up a real sense of community.The nuns head is owned by the same guys from the gowlett pub,another great se15 pub.

So, Nunhead - is it up and coming?.

With a three bedroom Victorian terrace costing between ?300 - ?400, 000 it seems to have up and gone already!

Crikey, our first house (also a three bedroomed terrace with a good garden) was only ?105,000! And it wasn't so long ago either.

London prices are stark raving mad.

spymum

> With a three bedroom Victorian terrace costing

> between ?300 - ?400, 000 it seems to have up and

> gone already!

Unfortunately that would only get you a 2 bed flat in ED... I think there is still (relatively) good value to be found in Nunhead.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh dear, I have to say I find Nunhead a bit grotty and depressing. The transport sucks there. However if the house/flat is nice enough, who cares? On the bright side, the cemetery is great for Sunday walks.