Accident on Lordship Lane this morning (November 20)

ianjm

Happened about 9-9:30, just south of Barcelona restaurant outside the takeaway shops. Seemed like there was some poor chap on the ground surrounded by paramedics with a rubbish lorry parked awkwardly a few metres away, at a guess he'd been hit by it. Just wondered if anyone saw what happened as it looked pretty nasty. Hope he was OK but I rather suspect not :(

Donald I think you have called this badly. The nosey person would come over at the time and people on here just seem to be showing concern, so if it was my friend I would be grateful that someone cared. If the paramedics were already there then that is when you don't want people shoving their nose in.

Do any of you actually care though? Where you at his hospital bedside? No so do not comment on a forum trying to find out about an incident out of curiosity when someone was badly hurt. If you really care private message me and I will give you his address so you can go around and visit him personally to show you "care". Until then keep your nose out of other peoples business

Donald , I have passed many accidents and have worried about the casualty . Its disturbing seeing someone hurt , and it plays on ones mind . Asking if someone is ok is kind and considerate , there is nothing sinister about it .

If I watch the news and someone has been hurt , kidnapped etc , I hope for a happy outcome as I know they have family who must be beside themselves and it plays on my mind what they must be going through .

I don't think your friend would appreciate strangers turning up asking how he is when paramedics are working on him , or at his hospital bed , I think strangers asking if he is ok is caring enough to show that they are worried and they hope he is ok with no lasting ill effects .

Wow Donald Duck is massively innapropriate!!! I also care alot and feel concerned about those who died in the Phillipines recently but I am not going to necessarily go and visit them. Maybe in your Disneyland there is only black and white but in real life there are many degrees of concern. Hope this reaction is stress related and your friend is ok (but I am not going to visit him if that is ok with you!!)

I was hit by a car on my cycle on the big roundabout in Lewisham at sunday lunchtime. I was unable to move and although an Ambulance arrived very quickly many people must have seen both the accident and me being on the ground for half an hour or so blocking the roundabout. During this time many total strangers acted brilliantly, either looking after me before ambulance arrived, making sure I didn't get run over again, contact family etc etc.

It must have been a terrible sight for any witnesses

None of those have my address and vice versa.

I would love to thank each and every one of them but cannot as I don't now who they were.

I would also love to let them know I am OK, as indeed I am.

"donaldduck" - you are a supercilious fool.

Jonsuissy - thank you for posting that you are ok, I was on a bus and saw the scene of the accident on Sunday and did think 'I hope that person is OK'. The police were directing the traffic and ambulance was on scene by the time I went passed.

I've been out of the country for a few days but I'm really shocked at your reaction donaldduck, It was simply out of concern and empathy.

I obviously don't know the victim personally but just like JimH said about the Philippines - empathy comes from putting yourself in the person's shoes and thinking how terrible it must have been for them and their friends & family. Feeling like this, even about a stranger, is a pretty common reaction and human experience.

We tend to care more (and our news reports more, which is a reflection of this) about things that happen where we can identify more and are closer to home. Compare the coverage of the Boston Bombings to bombings that occur every day in Iraq and kill far more people. America is a country we can relate to and identify with much better because they're more similar to us.

When something like this happens literally on your doorstep, on a road that you walk down practically every day, it's pretty natural to have questions. You could call it 'nosy' - I enquired because I live in this community and wanted to know what happened to pass on my regards and see if anything could be done to prevent it happening again if it was indeed a road traffic accident although I was only guessing. We all know some of the roads around Dulwich are dangerous.

Perhaps I was wrong.

In any case, I hope your friend is recovering and I understand that your emotions are probably raw at the moment having been through this kind of hell.

To Annabel too, my condolences.