ADT door to door

arthurthecat Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What's that all about? I checked their id, let

> them in, thought again and kicked them out. Am I

> totally stupid?

xxxxxx

What, totally stupid for letting them in, or totally stupid for kicking them out?!

ADT have been discussed on here before, but I did a search and nothing came up.

Not sure where you live but we had a young girl going door to door today down our road. I live near the ED station.

I answered the door pretty promptly (the delay being just long enough to go downstairs to the front door), but there was no one at the door. I was puzzled and stood there for a little while looking around to see if anyone was there when she suddenly appeared from down the road. I thought this was v. strange as a normal sales person would allow more time to ensure that someone came to the door.

She claimed to be offering a check on home security but to be honest, her sales pitch was so garbled that I couldn't really understand what she was trying to sell me. As we have an alarm, I said I was not interested (was mildly puzzled as I explained this to her that she hadn't noticed the alarm box at the front of our house!) but anyway when she finally got the message that she wasn't going to get anything from me, she pulled a very unprofessional face and stormed off.

We have had three burglaries down our road in the past few weeks. The last one just last week.

Am I paranoid in thinking that she was someone casing the joint? I've heard that gangs send out scouts to check things out? To be honest, she looked and behaved more like a scout than a legit sales person (she offered no id)

We're just off north cross. This was a slim chap, almost bald, glasses, adt uniform etc... With a sidekick who he introduced as a trainee. He seemed professional but as soon as I'd checked out their id and took a photo of it ("oh you used to be a copper?" Was the remark from the skinny one.... Then I thought I a) can't be arsed with their fear mongering chat b) I need my dinner and then showed them out. After I closed the door I had a word with myself for letting them in!

You just don't know all the time and I'll call ADT tomorrow and confirm these guys details. Seems from Foxy's link that they do actually do door to door sales time from time.... But yep, you never know....

I had these blokes round mine yesterday PM while cooking, I was really busy and when I asked through glass on front door who it was they wouldn't say unless I opened the door ! So I went back to kitchen. An hour later they were back and said ADT 'security' I said go away forom this place please. Orange day-glo jackets etc.

I had them last night. Pointed to my newish alarm and said I don't need a new once, thinking (stupidly) they'd just say "fair enough". But no - wouldn't go. What does it take for a penny to drop - I'VE ALREADY GOT A BLOODY ALARM, LOOK, IT'S JUST ABOVE OUR HEADS!

I had them last night yesterday as well; not happy at all; the 5min turned into 15min about alarms, fire detectors, having the house connected to a sort of call centre, playing on the ''fear'' factor for instance : ''there is a panic button if someone breaks into your house while you are sleeping and we will be there immediately''. '' You need to have you smoke detectors checked every year else if you leave a toast and it burns then you can have a fire and you would not know ...'' . I usually never answer in the evening but I was expecting someone. won't happen again...

5pm today on Ondine Road. Only answered door incase was a delivery as was in middle of feeding baby. Babe in arms screaming like mad helped me when saying "No thanks" and shutting door!

I never had door to door callers in 8 years on another ED street very nearby (apart from occasional religious ones) so why so many now? That's twice for ADT in last few months too.

• 2 months later...

I feel the need to express my frustration:

5th time in two consecutive days four young gentleman knocked on my door each time receiving different responses from our household all along the very polite lines of no thank you and please stop knocking.

This last time however resulted in a confrontation between myself and the young "senior representative" who didn't understand why we were bothered having ADT knocking on our door. After being told to go away by someone else in my house i interjected asking to be given a business card by one of them so I could make contact with the company. I was shown their ID badges but repeated again I wanted a business card. I was rudely and off handedly told I could ring their boss if I didn't believe they were from ADT. That was not why I wanted their details. I simply wanted something I could refer to for when they next visited. Now, I was and am not questioning their authenticity I am aggrieved by their attitude. I noted that the more senior member carried a scrappy little note book where he'd written down house numbers and crosses and ticks, assuming recording responses of who opened the door and not. I pointed out that I was requesting not to be disturbed again and the only record of my request would be that little piece of paper which is not professional and does't demonstrate any seriousness from ADT. My comment was ignored and the conversation continued into the sales pitch - I was told that it's evident (by looking at the houses) that many properties are not alarmed nor protected and that's what ADT were here to sort out. I pointed out their excessive approach was rather aggressive and intrusive to be further told that ADT were here to help. There was no apology for their harassing. When I questioned why ADT continued to target residents in such a manner the senior rep decided our conversation was at an end and started walking away. The conversation was not ended and I continued to express my concerns

The young lads (one senior, two trainees and one being interviewed on the job - according to the senior rep) continued to attempt to sell their goods and waffling on statistics and also told that they (for what ever reason this was significant) that they earnt a lot more than other people.

I was also informed that if I needed anything else they'd be around until 8.30pm - so if anyone is interested I can point you in the right direction!

I've just had these guys too, has made me feel incredibly nervous. If they really are ADT they're being a little irresponsible knocking on doors and asking to come inside to discuss security. Very dodgy, no one should do that. Had the whole trainee spiel, he seemed to lose it after I pointed out the days were in fact getting longer rather than shorter as he had told me and why were they talking about tenant packs when people signing up to anything would likely have to be owners. His superior, who looked about 12 then stepped in, along with another hand shake.

Very creepy, I only hope they are who they say they are and are just rubbish at their jobs...

ADT called round to mine this evening, 6.20pm. I was busy shifting things around. Therefore I asked him to come back later on the proviso he gave me a business/work/id card. The card was not forthcoming. I asked three times for that card. The encounter was strange as being they are supposedly a security company a card would be the least of their issues as it should be supplied to all employees to make potential business persons feel at ease. After telling him that I have already taken all precautions, bars, locks and alarms etc he did ask "shoes on or shoes off", in order to do an assessment, so he could enter my property. I told him to leave them on and politely said goodbye.

If someone wants to enter a private property, unannounced, then the owners/occupiers should feel safe in letting them in by knowing who they are so I took the precaution of not doing so as they didn't want to tell me who they were. To be honest the very short encounter confused me, the pitch was cr@p, the id was non existent, now I am wondering who he is and where else has he gone. If anyone from ADT is reading this please supply your workforce with business cards so they can be checked out. Anyway he politely got the picture.

A woman claiming to be from ADT and 'doing a security survey' rang the bell this afternoon. I was expecting a delivery and saw the high viz jacket through the door. the woman had a note book and pencil but no ID. I told her I was ill and wasn't interested but she wouldn't listen so I just shut the door. This is in Pellatt Rd..

One of the things that annoys me is the assumption people should entertain these people.

Dont.

Especially dont be telling these people what kind of security you have or dont have. Its none of their business and you are telling complete strangers strengths and weaknesses of your home security.

This makes me furious. Had them round mine last night, he wasn't going to say who he was before launching into a spiel but I stopped him and said "you're from ADT, aren't you?", and as he started on the "yes, but..." said I wasn't interested and shut the door on him. Not the first time they've been, now wish I'd said "and don't ever come back" but probably wouldn't have made any difference. Only answered the door because I was expecting someone, I hate that between these guys and charities and other unwanted callers I've developed the habit of shouting "who is it" at the door before I'll open it. That's not the way I want to be but I'm sick of it. And it makes me so mad to think of the elderly or vulnerable in our area getting these sorts of calls.

katanita Wrote:

I hate that between these guys and

> charities and other unwanted callers I've

> developed the habit of shouting "who is it" at the

> door before I'll open it. That's not the way I

> want to be but I'm sick of it.

xxxxxx

I have started doing that too, at least after dark.

I too am sick of unwanted callers. It's bad enough being inundated with spam on my landline (and yes I am registered with TPS). It's recently started on my mobile as well :(

Sue Wrote:

> katanita Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> I hate that between these guys and

> > charities and other unwanted callers I've

> > developed the habit of shouting "who is it" at

> the

> > door before I'll open it. That's not the way I

> > want to be but I'm sick of it.

>

> xxxxxx

>

> I have started doing that too, at least after

> dark.

>

> I too am sick of unwanted callers. It's bad enough

> being inundated with spam on my landline (and yes

> I am registered with TPS). It's recently started

> on my mobile as well :(

The TPS can accept the registration of mobile telephone numbers, however it is important to note that this will prevent the receipt of marketing voice calls but not SMS (text) messages.

If you wish to stop receiving SMS marketing messages, please send an 'opt-out' request to the company involved.

As TPS registration only prevents marketing calls, organisations will still be able to call you for the purposes of genuine market research.

It would seem they are allowed to call if they announce they are not trying to sell you something.

Hence they will ask you if you can spare a few mins and answer a simple question (market research)

Then come the sales pitch.

Really annoying.

Foxy