Northcross greengrocers may be closed/redeveloped

We may be about to lose Pretty's, our amazing organic green grocers on Northcross Road, if plans are given the go ahead to redevelop the site.

It's outrageous that this amazing, successful family run business who after 45 continual years (longest serving shop in ED) can be removed by a developer if our council approves their plans.

We need to tell the council what we think of this and save our communities grocer.

There is a petition in the shop please sign it this week, please also reply to this thread with your comments as the council have also advised they will read this.

Please say NO to this irreversible mistake and lets keep one of the best and most valued shops and family run businesses in ED.

thank you

What are the plans to redevelop the site? Is somebody buying it, or is it the present owners who want to redevelop it? Into what?? I'm assuming Pretty's must lease the shop, then?

Would it just be Pretty's which would be affected? Could they relocate elsewhere in ED?

You say "irreversible". Is there actually a chance of saving Pretty's, or not?

Are you able to link to a site giving further information?

I agree it would be a sad loss if they were to close, but I'd like to know more.

ETA: Maybe you could edit the subject line to "greengrocers" rather than "grocers"? I was very bemused till I opened the thread, as there hasn't been a grocers in the road (well, it was more of a deli) for nearly twenty years, I think - shortly after Sainsbury's opened in Dog Kennel Hill, anyway.

But didn't they sell the freehold about a year ago.... Through Harvey & Wheeler estate agents if I remember correctly? I seem to recall thinking it was only a matter of time, or have I got the wrong one? Surely they wouldn't sell and think it would all remain the same?

An extraordinary alarmist post with essentially no hard info at all. As with the endless Iceland thread, the one thing that's clear is that an application for planning consent will be decided by reference to conventional planning considerations, and views based on the identity of a tenant will not be relevant

I travel from Forest Hill to shop at that greengrocers.

The juices are amazing and reasonably priced too, and the staff really nice and helpful.

I'd be gutted if they closed...unless of course they relocated to Forest Hill-where we have no greengrocer and have to rely on Sainsbury for our fruit and veg-unless we go to the excellent farmers market which I believe ends on the 21st December.

DaveR Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> An extraordinary alarmist post with essentially no

> hard info at all. As with the endless Iceland

> thread, the one thing that's clear is that an

> application for planning consent will be decided

> by reference to conventional planning

> considerations, and views based on the identity of

> a tenant will not be relevant

Agreed. Whether Pretty's remain or not is governed by their lease, or lack of. I would though be very sorry to see them go. When I moved here 30 years ago there was a greengrocer there which Chris later took over and successfully turned into the popular business it is today. The previous incarnation was really old fashioned: on requesting some parsley one time, the reaction was if I'd asked for something really quite shocking!

It does sound as though we've not got the whole story as yet, but I would be very sad to see Pretty Traditional go (despite the fact that we are leaving the area). More information on the plans would be really helpful. I will certainly go in and ask Chris what is going on when I get a chance. I buy most of my fruit and veg from there (organic or not) and it's one of the things I will miss most when we leave.

(Jeremy, I think I see your confusion - the caf? is called Pretty's and has been there for a few years - maybe 5, but Pretty Traditional is the green grocer and has certainly been there for the 15 years I've lived in ED.)

chris' dad (?) fred was running it when we moved ed in 1988. he had been there since the arc dropped him off, so it must be the oldest established business in town. I do hope they are not being forced out. I always thought they ownded the freehold, but obviously not. this could be one for james barber to look into for us.

They have just started a paper petition. Ask to sign it when you visit the shop.

Apparently the new buyer originally gave assurances that only the top flat would be developed but now wants to develop the whole site and the notice period means they would have to be out in March. The shop will be contacting the local councillors and presumably lodging appeals. The planning page linked above says "The consultation period for this application is not open. Please contact the case officer directly if you have any questions". The consultees listed are just those living in North Cross Rd though it might obviously affect a lot more people than that.