Christmas advice for Neil and Cocoa

Do you know Neil who sells the Big Issue outside Londis on North Cross Road, helped by Cocoa, the lovely pup who wears a fetching blue coat?

This year Neil doesn't know where he's going to spend Christmas. None of the places he knows about allow dogs, so he and Cocoa face the prospect of being separated. (It's his first Christmas with Cocoa, who is one year old).

Does anyone know of anywhere that will accept dogs like Cocoa and allow them to spend Christmas together? Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Is Neil actually without address? i.e. rough sleeping? If so, a referral to StreetLink would be timely.

http://www.streetlink.org.uk/

Plenty of hostels accept people with dogs nowadays so it should not be a barrier to getting housed, and whilst many hostels are not exactly pleasent, they are part of a journey into independent housing.

Let me know if there is any more info you may need. I have been working in homelessness for 20 years.

Can I just say that for all these organisations (St Mungo's and NSNO) someone would need to be referred. Also, from a PM conversation last night it may be that this chap is not homeless as such, but looking for support and events for the homeless at Christmas. (Homelessness is about more than having a home of course, and is about resettlement into secure and independent accommodation, rebuilding social networks and ones life).

Having said that, NSNO and Mungo's (my employers for 8 happy years) would be sure to have a list of support and activity available to "homeless" people over the festive period.

(Fairly sure the Big Issue would have too however).

Best of luck!

Is this the same very friendly guy who sells the Big Issue further down Lordship Lane, on the same side but near the hospice shop?

If so, I have never noticed the dog!

If not, I don't recall ever seeing him. I've never noticed anybody selling anything outside Londis.

No, not a figment of my imagination!

I don't know Kelvin, who must be the man outside the St Christopher's shop during the day. Neil tends to be outside Londis in the evenings. You certainly won't miss him or the dog if you go past around 7pm most days.

And then there's the woman who sells the Big Issue outside the Co-op.

Overall, I seem to have noticed an increase in the number of people needing basic support. There are more people sleeping rough around the Elephant and Castle now (I pass through there every day) than I have seen for years.

Street count in a neighboring london borough 3 weeks ago was 16 rough sleepers. I dont have the figure for Southwark but I imagine it would be higher. Sadly I think we will see these figures going up and up with the further bite of the bedroom tax and universal credit. Some landlords reportedly refusing to accomodate those on universal credit as it is too much of a financial risk to them.

A grim by product of the recession this. And with funding slashed for the agencies that work with homeless people, then we can expect some further difficulties over the next few years.

We have lived in the relative comfort of safety net housing pretty much guaranteed since 2000. It is no longer there for many.

Called Mungos and per Ratty's not they only accept rough sleepers (and their pets) so it ready does depend on his situation. They were very helpful and suggested that Crisis in Bermondsy will have events on over the festive.

http://www.crisis.org.uk/pages/crisis-skylight-london.html

There is also The Ace of Clubs - a drop in center, not so central though and located in Clapham but the facilities look good.

http://aceofclubs.org.uk/find-ace/

Just shout if there's anything else that can be done to help.