No more Oysters from the Oystercatcher

dc

Sad that yesterday (Saturday) saw the last day of trading for the Oystercatcher in the ED Warehouse.

Thank you Martin (Oyster boy) and Nigel (Oyster dad) for your efforts - very sorry it didn't work out. Have to come up with something else to fill that slot late on a Saturday afternoon now. :(

Oh, am so sorry to hear that! I too enjoyed the Oystercatcher oysters on occasion (although perhaps not often enough if they're closing down), and thought that Martin and his dad were lovely.

What a pity for them, and us oyster-eaters!

It's a shame for them no doubt. But being a huge fan of oysters I've never been able to justify an oyster at ?1.80 a unit! At Gordon Ramsey with a glass of champagne yes, on a market stall, rip off. Go to the South of France (?tan de Thau for example) you will get the best there and you know what for ?2 you'll get at least 6 if not 8!!!!!!!!!!!!:-S

It's only native oysters that are protected during the spawning season which is where the 'r in the month' rule comes from.

The vast majority of oysters nowadays are rocks and you can eat them all year round, although sadly, at the ED Warehouse no longer.

Hmm, I only tend to eat oysters I've opened my self, which I have bought from a know supplier. Lived in North Norfolk for a few years, so I go to know the locals quite well. You won't get any oysters at this time of the year in those parts. ;-)

A couple of years ago my Mum got really bad shell fish poisoning from oysters that she had in a restaurant in the West End. Her digestive system hasn't been the same since and if anything has turned even slightly, she's really ill. :(

Back to the topic - I will have to try the Oyster Catcher though, particularly as it's so highly recommended. :)-D

Most of our natives get bought up on the continent where they're something of a delicacy. We seem content to eat Rock oysters here, but they're cheaper (supply and demand) and have a bit more meat.

I do love a good native though (ooeer missus).

I like to get them in from Nunhead, Moxons or even better go to the coast and have at them with my shucker, but will sorely miss the Oystercatcher.

• 1 month later...

F C Sopers in Nunhead, been there 110 years one of the best fishmongers in london, they sell tasty irish Oysters and will open and serve them to you in the shop.

This time of year Oysters are very creamy because this is when they spawn, some people don't like it but others go mad for summer oysters, the french get very excited about it.