Getting to Honor Oak Park station

TJ

I live up at the Over / Underhill end of East Dulwich. We seem to have some very poor links to the train stations.

There isn't a ED bus link to Honor Oak Park, which is a great station, not very crowded with a fast and reliable line into London Bridge and Charing X direct (on occasion).

From Honor oak Park, there are busses to Nunhead, Brockley, Forest Hill, West Dulwich etc but all skirt around us. As this station is going to be part of the East London line extension, I think it would be wise to apply some pressure to TFL to get them to extend the 363 and 63 up to Honor oak park so we all have some more options. Currently the 363 and 63 stop about 600 metres away on the other side of the hill - which seems very strange to me.

Please can everyone go to the following page and send an email to apply some pressure to help improve our links and also relieve some pressure on ED station!

TFL

Thanks!

I think this is a great idea. Honor Oak Park is a very useful station which I use frequently. (I walk and it takes about 14mins at a fairly brisk pace). Even with a bus going up the hill I would still probably walk but I think it would make Honor Oak Park a viable commuter station for those at the top end of Lordship lane.

I'm off to the website now.

Interstingly enough, TfL was conducting a survey of the 63 and 363 routes last week (on the Tuesday after Bank Holiday Monday). Every passenger was asked to fill in a form setting out where they lived, where they were going and how they had got to their bus-stop. I did it on both my trips to and from work, so I asked what the survey was all about, and after the usual guff (ways to improve bus service etc) the surveyor said that it doesn't really make sense to have the 363 and the 63 as they both cover such similar routes. One of the options being considered is extending the 63 to Crystal Palace and removing the 363 all together, but others include different start/end points for both services. The 363 doesn't stop at Forest Hill Road by the way, but continues up Wood Vale, very briefly down Underhill Road, onto Sydenham Hill and then CP Parade.

With my cynical head on, I thought the Tuesday after a Bank Holiday was a sneaky time to conduct a survey if you want to demonstrate that the services aren't full to capacity at peak time (as they normally are). The bus was half empty whereas it would normally be full by the third or fourth stop.

So it might be a good time to email TFL as you suggest. The most practical option would be to extend the 63 up to Honor Oak Station, but you'd still have to walk up to Forest Hill Road to catch it. You could get the 363 more easily from where you are, but I don't quite understand how it would go via Honor Oak Park and then onto Elephant and Castle. Would involve a right turn at Wood Vale to Honor Oak Station and then a U-turn back to E&C/Peckham way. Do you have a specific route in mind?

The 63 used to go from King Cross to Crystal Palace and then TFL decided to split the route so that the 63 started at Kings Cross and terminates by the Forest Hill Tavern and I believe the 363 is Elephant and Castle to Crystal Palace.

I think perhaps a new smaller bus should be introduced, they have the P12 but that diverts off to Brenchley Gardens, which is no good if you live at the bottom end of Forest Hill Rd near Peckham Rye park.

I have been on the website but I am sure this has been suggested in the past. Hopefully with the East London line extension, this might get more notice.

If the 63 went over the hill, down past Honor Oak train station, it could terminate at the bottom of the hill, on Brockley Rise (other routes terminate/wait there) and then turn around and head back toward Kings Cross. The 363 could just be left to go on the Crystal Palace.

Although they would have to sort out the parking on Honor Oak Park as you come down the hill, just before the station, as the small hop on and off buses sometimes get stuck there.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Of course if the station was more accessible then

> it would lose much of it's charm and become just

> another crammed London station.

Exactly don't know if the station could cope with the influx of bus loads from East Dulwich & the noise a double decker would make a little hoppa type bus maybe.

very good idea to get the 63 to carry on up that steep hill past the Francesca Cabrini primary school and to Honor Oak station. However, I recall speaking to a bus driver about the fact it's a damn nuisance there are no buses going straight up and over the said hill. he said it was because icy conditions can make driving up the steep hill very hard, if not impossible. He said that was why no big buses went up and over the hill.

Ha Ha! Yes, those famous mountainous ice covered peaks of south London..!

He was taking the mickey!

Good on you all for supporting this - However, to sean, who along with Snorky is the prophet of doom in every circumstance... Having an unused train station - or even underutilized is not a good idea as it simply adds pressure to other routes, and investment in the underused one falls away.

who knew eh? me and snorks... the "prophets of doom"

Not just today. But in "every circumstance"

Let me leave that one sink in....

but first, to come to my defence (as I must!) my statement about the train station is neither prophetic, nor doomy (ish? ly?)

Your comment around efficiency is bang on but it will be a busier station so, you know.. as the post was about how lovely and quiet it is to use.. THAT BIT will have changed. That's just logic.

As for extending buses to actually head into HOP itself I'm all for it

I think we might be giving the wrong impression here. You can't get a seat on a morning rush hour train - sorry to disappoint all those ED'rs who think they may have found commuting's holy grail.

It's just that if it weren't for the hill it would be really handy.

ok prophets etc was bit harsh..!

anyway - the more ED ers who use HOP the better in my book. It is fine for those who fancy the stomp, but those with child / children have no chance...

Siduhe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Every passenger was asked to fill in a form setting out where they

> lived, where they were going and how they had got

> to their bus-stop. I did it on both my trips to

> and from work, so I asked what the survey was all

> about, and after the usual guff (ways to improve

> bus service etc) the surveyor said that it doesn't

> really make sense to have the 363 and the 63 as

> they both cover such similar routes. One of the

> options being considered is extending the 63 to

> Crystal Palace and removing the 363 all together,

> but others include different start/end points for

> both services. The 363 doesn't stop at Forest

> Hill Road by the way, but continues up Wood Vale,

> very briefly down Underhill Road, onto Sydenham

> Hill and then CP Parade.

>

> With my cynical head on, I thought the Tuesday

> after a Bank Holiday was a sneaky time to conduct

> a survey if you want to demonstrate that the

> services aren't full to capacity at peak time (as

> they normally are). The bus was half empty

> whereas it would normally be full by the third or

> fourth stop.

I recall when there was only the 63 bus route, before the 'gentrification' of East Dulwich and am horrified that TFL are even considering removing the 363 as this route is constantly busy and delayed for one reason or another in the mornings.

I would hope if they removed the 363 that they would increase the frequency of the 63 bus route from what it currently is ...

Talking about the Honor Oak Park route, what is wrong with the P4?

I have never come across a more unreliable bus in London!

I'm almost always late for work nowadays as can spend anything between 15-30 minutes waiting for the bus:o( There is no set schedule and it's just a daily lottery to see if a bus turns up soon after me!

I'm off to send another e-mail to TFL.

Reply from TFL:

Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for your email.

I was interested to read your suggestion to extend bus route 63, and I can appreciate why you feel this change would be beneficial.

While there are no current plans to amend the route in the manner you have described, I would like to assure you that we continually monitor the bus network to see if any changes can be made to improve the level of service offered to passengers. The suggestions we receive from passengers are an important part of this process.

Please be assured that we make every effort to connect local centres and residential, however, it is not always possible to provide a direct link for every journey or implement all of the suggestions we receive. Ultimately, we have to make sure that we use the resources available to provide services that will benefit the majority of passengers using a route.

Your comments will be kept so that they may be taken into consideration when routes 63 and other services in the area are next formally reviewed.

Yours sincerely

Customer Services

TJ. It's quite simple and I'm surprised you didn't know this. Walk up to the end of Underhill Rd from where you are past the blind care home and concrete house turn left onto the end of Lordship Lane and catch the P4 which stops right outside Honor Oak Park station. Five minute walk and a couple of minutes on the bus.

Thanks Jah, Fine for me - but not my pregnant missus. She gets out of puff very quickly. Also, if i was going to walk to LL I would justtake a bus to Forest hill or Denmark hill.

I just would like to see the 363 route extended 400 metres up forest hill road.... it would just help link up more areas to HOP.

MP - Touche!