london bridge trains again (6th Jan 2014)

jcrwillcox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> All trains delayed again..... they seem to know

> ones not due to leave for twenty mins r delayed!

> happy new year!

No idea what sparked it, but at around 5:40pm many trains were on the wrong platforms. The 5:40 (West Croydon) was on Plat 10, the 5:50 (Wimbledon) was on Plat 8 and the train on Plat 13 was for Caterham or somewhere like that.

As a result, they had to wait forever to allow them to depart as they needed to cross the paths of other incoming and outgoing trains, and the windows for such activity at peak times are few and far between. The knock-on will have been horrific.

it was still horrific by about 620 when i was trying to get home. felt very over-crowded and out of control.

i have to say the evening trains are a mess. every day there seems to be a delay, not to mention the scrum to get onto platform 13 (or off it for that matter)

i would send feedback but i don't see it improving until the new platforms are all up and running.

I was coming home from LB at around 6pm a couple of weeks ago. the train was about to leave and was rammed with people. after a minute or so, a very charming woman stood up and offered me her seat. I thanked profusely but said I was OK. I never realised that I looked that old! by the time we got through peckham rye, I wished I had taken her kind offer!

Convex Wrote:

> not to mention the scrum to get onto platform 13

It actually strikes me as pretty dangerous, the way people cram onto that platform. Far too narrow for the number of people.

Convex Wrote:

> i would send feedback but i don't see it improving

> until the new platforms are all up and running.

Platforms 14-16 are due to reopen 'in Spring 2014', so not too long to wait thankfully if that schedule is to be believed.

I've thought the very same thing on numerous occassions.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Convex Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > not to mention the scrum to get onto platform

> 13

>

> It actually strikes me as pretty dangerous, the

> way people cram onto that platform. Far too narrow

> for the number of people.

I never thought of late trains being "horrific", "out of control", or "a mess".

The descriptions above make me picture carriages strewn all over the approaches to the station. Sounds like a real war zone.

Tubes are worse. Thank god we dont have to deal with the tube everyday.

lane lover Wrote:

> I never thought of late trains being "horrific",

It's all relative. The service we get to ED is generally pretty good, and will likely be better if what I heard on the platform about longer trains comes to fruition soon. When I referred to the knock-on effects being horrific, it was more from an organisational perspective rather than as a user of the service.

As for Platform 13 being relieved by Platforms 14-16, apparently once these become available, 12 and 13 will be shut, so the relief won't be that significant.

MarkE Wrote:

> lane lover Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I never thought of late trains being

> "horrific",

>

> It's all relative. The service we get to ED is

> generally pretty good, and will likely be better

> if what I heard on the platform about longer

> trains comes to fruition soon.

I've been getting on a longer train every morning since the new timetable came in. If you walk further down the platform at ED you may find there are an extra two carriages (Oops, now I've let the cat out of the bag I may not get so much choice as to where to sit)

MarkE Wrote:

> As for Platform 13 being relieved by Platforms

> 14-16, apparently once these become available, 12

> and 13 will be shut, so the relief won't be that

> significant.

Possibly not, but the platforms will be wider, which should reduce the crush problem considerably.

Waiting at London Bridge for 45 minutes so far. One train cancelled, next one - 10 mins after scheduled departure time - has no driver. Very little information as usual. Train this morning also delayed with no explanation. Still no day without delays since at least November (which wasn't when they did run on time, just when I started noticing).