How to dispose of estate agents sign?

Bit of a random question BUT we still have the estate agent's sign from when we bought our house and I really need to get rid of it, but the post it's on is bloody massive.

Ia this something I can ask the council to come and collect? How do other's get rid of these? I'm not inclined to have to saw it up so it fits in the bin.

You are at liberty to take it down and recycle the materials.

The post can be sawn up for firewood or DIY.

The flat signboard material is excellent stuff, use limited only by your imagination.

It cuts with a stanley knife.

eg

hallway splashback behind row of wellie boots

bird boxes

packing/backing material eg for collage, mirror or framed pictures.

ellieaness Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry, to clarify the sign is down and currently

> lurking in the front garden hidden behind the

> bins. We moved in two years ago - eek!

>

> Will they still come and get rid of it?

Surely a quick phone call to the estate agent in question will answer your question?

lane lover Wrote:

> Its very unlikely the Real Estate Agent will take

> it down. Its free advertising for them!

>

> There is another thread from 2013 with more views

> here:

> http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5

> ,1026238,1026377

They do if you give them a deadline and say it will be binned if they don't pick it up before then. I've had success with that a few times.

edcam Wrote:

> lane lover Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Its very unlikely the Real Estate Agent will

> take

> > it down. Its free advertising for them!

> >

> > There is another thread from 2013 with more

> views

> > here:

> >

> http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5

>

> > ,1026238,1026377

>

>

> They do if you give them a deadline and say it

> will be binned if they don't pick it up before

> then. I've had success with that a few times.

It would also be pretty poor form on the part of the EA to refuse. A good EA will want to build relationships in the area in the hope of getting future business.

llyamah Wrote:

> It would also be pretty poor form on the part of

> the EA to refuse. A good EA will want to build

> relationships in the area in the hope of getting

> future business.

From my experience, real estate agents base their business on a one-shot game, especially when it comes to buying.

They generally arent intelligent enough to realise the same person may give them repeat business in the future.

Thats why they are real estate agents.

I can't understand the passiveness of people that would have this sitting in their garden for 2 year before querying it?! Comedic fish slap needed.

Bin it for heaven's sake...or take it down to LL and drop it off at the agents if you can be arsed.

lane lover Wrote:

> llyamah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It would also be pretty poor form on the part

> of

> > the EA to refuse. A good EA will want to build

> > relationships in the area in the hope of

> getting

> > future business.

>

> From my experience, real estate agents base their

> business on a one-shot game, especially when it

> comes to buying.

>

> They generally arent intelligent enough to realise

> the same person may give them repeat business in

> the future.

>

> Thats why they are real estate agents.

- That just made me laugh out loud... 😄

cle Wrote:

> I can't understand the passiveness of people that

> would have this sitting in their garden for 2 year

> before querying it?!

In the old days people used to get rid of things like this by tying them to witches or leaving them in vampires, and perhaps they thought an opportunity would arise sooner rather than later.

Well thanks for all the (un)helpful responses - over the course of this thread I've been called complacent and given suggestions such as 'march it round there' - as mentioned it is decking massive - i don't have a huge selection of power tools with which to cut this down into itty bitty pieces nor would it fit into a car and was actually asking what I believed to be a sensible question that might help other first time buyers about whether this is the kind of thing the council might collect.

Frankly, every time I ask anything on this 'community' forum it's shot down in flames - what is the point?

ellieaness Wrote:

> Well thanks for all the (un)helpful responses -

> over the course of this thread I've been called

> complacent and given suggestions such as 'march it

> round there' - as mentioned it is decking massive

> - i don't have a huge selection of power tools

> with which to cut this down into itty bitty pieces

> nor would it fit into a car and was actually

> asking what I believed to be a sensible question

> that might help other first time buyers about

> whether this is the kind of thing the council

> might collect.

>

> Frankly, every time I ask anything on this

> 'community' forum it's shot down in flames - what

> is the point?

Oh don't take on, so!It was a bit of a funny question though. :)

There is legislation for estate agent advertising that covers this exactly. Under advertising regulations they are permitted to have the boards up for 14 days after a rental or sale completes.

More than this and trading standards can fine them. Sometimes they even do, when they have a crackdown! But normally a quick email to the agent saying that the board has been up for more than 14 days and you will contact trading standards and the planning people (who approve/deny advertising planning applications) will resolve things very quickly. I have used it myself for signs on my street about three or four times.

ellieaness Wrote:

> Well thanks for all the (un)helpful responses -

> over the course of this thread I've been called

> complacent and given suggestions such as 'march it

> round there' - as mentioned it is decking massive

> - i don't have a huge selection of power tools

> with which to cut this down into itty bitty pieces

> nor would it fit into a car and was actually

> asking what I believed to be a sensible question

> that might help other first time buyers about

> whether this is the kind of thing the council

> might collect.

>

> is the point?

Many responses gave you the same perfectly sensible answer - i.e. call the estate agent and ask them to collect it. After receiving said response, you then proceed to explain that the sign is old and ask:

"will they still come and get rid of it?"

Common sense dictates that it is the estate agent alone that can answer this question. Did you even bother to call them?

As for "whether this is the kind of thing the council might collect" - again, the council is best placed to answer this question. The Southwark Council allow something like 6 'bulky item' disposals per household per year. The collection can be organised on their website (you need to register on the website first). The website also states what the council will and will not take, e.g. the item must be no bigger than x etc.

I know you said you don't have access to tools to cut it down, but a small hacksaw can be ordered from Amazon for ?5.95. You would easily be able to cut it down with that; if it is too big for the council to take in its original state, then cut it up into smaller pieces.

ellieaness Wrote:

> is the point?

I feel your pain. However, to be fair, you've had a whole host of sensible as well as slightly tongue in cheek responses on here. Frankly, it isn't the biggest issue in the world, and common sense is the best route (hack saw) after you've exhausted the obvious (contacting agent, contacting council etc).

Louisa.