Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> More arty trendy middle class stuff detached from

> reality. So much is happening in Peckham? Maybe if

> you're on the cool carriage first class from

> Shoreditch or Dalston, but what about the real

> Peckham?

That told 'em!

That's exactly my point. We can no longer pin down what Peckham is or means to people, because the generic SW brigade have followed hot on the heels of the artistic crowd and students from the trendy East End, to buy up Victorian properties and turn Bellenden Road into a pop-up Northcote in SE15. Rather than immerse themselves in existing culture, what Clapham blow-ins do is create their own little enclave and allow gentrification to distort an area until eventually the poorest are forced out and the place becomes exactly what they want it to be.

Louisa.

I remember Steve's Chippy at the bottom of Maxted/Corner of Bellenden, one of the best in the area at the time. And jimbo useful means something different to every person. If you take Peckham in General, would its population want to or be able to afford to shop in most of the shops on the current Bellenden RD?

Louisa.

Yes.

Before the trendy tat there were many useful shops.

Ossie the plumber, Dackecome car spares/ The turkish deli, Bakery, Chaz, Many small grocers.The Prince Albert. Mr Patel the papershop. The dry Cleaner, The very good cafe. Chinese takeaway. Takeaway foodshops.

It has always been a useful street, but then there are not many of us left before the gentification who remember

There's still Morrisons, Aldi and Asda just around the corner so hardly bereft of places to shop cheaply. There's no doubt that Peckham has changed a lot and will change a lot more. I'm not sure how 'useful' some of the shops on Bellenden Rd are, but it's better this way than a betting shop riddled dump like Norwood.

I do agree with Louisa that areas can become quite generic once they're gentrified. Landlords get greedy and the independent businesses that make people flock to the area get priced out and it just becomes another place like the last one. I believe this process has begun in ED and will continue over the next couple of years.

Louisa: "...buy up Victorian properties and turn Bellenden Road into a pop-up Northcote in SE15. Rather than immerse themselves in existing culture... "

If you move to a place that's culturally different than where you've moved from you're under no obligation to 'immerse' yourself in anything, whatever that conveniently vague expression means. What are incomers supposed to do - start cooking yams for dinner and become evangelicals ? What exactly - please describe what 'should' happen ?!

Places change and that's what happens.

Unlike Jeremy, I believe Rye Lane will change drastically in the next 5-10 years. I believe the retail rents will go up with the influx of residents from outside the area and the existing 'cultural'-centric shops will slowly be forced away, as a result the demograhic will get, shall we say, paler. A bit like what happened to ED over the last 20 years, but quicker. That area of Peckham is very well connected by transport and is set for a colossal makeover.

I'd rather this didn't happen, as I perpetually frequent Rye Lane, but i can't see it going any other way.

>

> Before the trendy tat there were many useful

> shops.

>

> Ossie the plumber, Dackecome car spares/ The

> turkish deli, Bakery, Chaz, Many small grocers.The

> Prince Albert. Mr Patel the papershop. The dry

> Cleaner, The very good cafe. Chinese takeaway.

> Takeaway foodshops.

>

And Desmond's

Major lols to the post talking about evangelicals and yam eating. So true - you'd think human culture (London especially) should be static and not evolve.

What about all the middle class white folk pushed out of Brixton post-Windrush!? Should the new black population have not opened up patty shops etc and respected the white culture of the time?!

Ridiculous.

Bellenden Road is ace. I worry it'll get a bit LL, but for the moment, it's independent, not packed with chains/estate agents/buses and enterpreneurial. Nowt wrong with a good, indie coffee shop or deli. Not everything has to be appropriate to all income levels and common tastes!

Rye Lane and the High Street are still there for the local community and aren't going anywhere. Louisa, you can pick up your fish heads and get your weave did with aplomb.

Oh wait, you're just a (likely middle class) a keybaord warrior, not a member of the 'real Peckham'.

Exactly-- Peckham used to be very affluent. Different people come and go from an area and that can change the way an area feels but its all ebbs and flows over time.

Also, I think Rye Lane is most likely going to be more like Brixton. Due to social housing, the area will always be more economically mixed than other parts of London and that's not a bad thing.

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Peckham's a dynamic area and always has been. It

> started of as an affluent suburb and has been

> through many transformations since then. It's

> hardly turned into Clapham.