council like bicycle shed

Gula

Applications have been made to install them on lordship Lane, Ulvercroft and Heber Roads, Melbourne Grove, the East Dulwich Estate and Bellenden Road. If you live near any of these locations and would like to have access to secure on street parking for your bicycle, please contact your Councillors to register your support.

• 1 month later...

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Applications have been made to install them on

> lordship Lane, Ulvercroft and Heber Roads,

> Melbourne Grove, the East Dulwich Estate and

> Bellenden Road. If you live near any of these

> locations and would like to have access to secure

> on street parking for your bicycle, please contact

> your Councillors to register your support.

xxxxxx

Any update on this, rahrahrah?

It's nearing the end of the financial year :)

Hi James,

Rahrahrah mentioned six applications, but you only refer to three.

Which three are you talking about? And what happened to the others?

Also, do you know how "interest" is being quantified, as some roads/areas are much longer/bigger than others?

I want to know whether I need to drum up "interest" in my road!

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi Sue

> In East Dulwich ward we only had 3 applications.

> Sorry I can;t recall the streets proposed.

> Residents living there have received letters

> asking if they would use one.

>

xxxxxxxxx

I applied, and I've not received a letter :(

Hi all,

The Dulwich hangars are to be in Heber Road and Ulverscroft Road (subject to usual consultation, I imagine). Thanks to James and the other Dulwich councillors for supporting these applications!

I'd be really interested to hear from other people who applied for cycle parking locally and/or would cycle if they had somewhere to keep a bike - with other members of Southwark Cyclists I'm interested in gauging the hidden demand, and finding out whether providing secure storage would make a significant difference to the number of people who cycle/how often you can cycle/whether families and flatmates can cycle together etc.

Eleanor

I'm sure it would make a huge difference .We've had to move both our bikes indoors after one was stolen from the rear of our property where it was locked securely to a wheelbarrow and the access was down a side paasageway with a locked door .

I'm currently not cycling partly due to health considerations but partly because of the physical effort involved in hauling my bike downstairs ( and on return back up ) before I can get on the road .

I would be thrilled to have a nearby hangar and didn't realise about applying for storage .Presume one applies as part of a group for funding ? How ,when .who to ?

But was sure I read a post from JB on hangars saying that Southwark had refused applications on grounds of not wanting more street clutter .So this must be a change of heart .

Exciting news .

Hi intexasatthemoment,

Both parts of your story chime with many others we've spoken to - theft and the effort of hauling a bike up and down stairs.

>I would be thrilled to have a nearby hangar and didn't realise about applying for storage .Presume one applies as >part of a group for funding ? How ,when .who to ?

Southwark Cyclists encouraged people to apply via the Cleaner Greener Safer fund this time and we were delighted that about ?80,000 was awarded for various kinds of cycle parking (sheds, lockers, hangars, racks - for estates and streets across the borough, most of them making independent applications, not to do with the Southwark Cyclists campaign). Individuals can apply to the CGS with any 'good ideas' - you don't need to be part of a group, but it helps to get the support of neighbours, Tenants and Residents Associations etc. Look out for the next funding round in the autumn...

But in my view the CGS is not the most efficient way of deciding on such a crucial bit of infrastructure (imagine if individuals had to bid for parking spaces one at a time!). There are economies of scale (in consultation, planning process, purchase and installation etc) to be gained by installing lots of storage at once as part of a plan for future transport/healthy living. (See http://www.vangoghwalk.org for a lovely example)

>But was sure I read a post from JB on hangars saying that Southwark had refused applications on grounds of not >wanting more street clutter .So this must be a change of heart .

This is a pilot project, trialling 5 hangars in Southwark. (Your memory is right, but I think James Barber was referring to Cyclehoop's most famous (up till now!)invention, the eponymous cyclehoop http://www.cyclehoop.com/products/cyclehoops/ that attaches to lampposts to make it easier to lock to them without bikes falling over. I think they are great solutions for some spots, but some have been installed in quite silly places... maybe that's why there was a 'ban' in Southwark?)

>Exciting news .

Indeed!!

This is great news and I can't believe no one has thought of this before. I would definitely abandon public transport if I had access to a secure bike lock up. I will start investigating now!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all

I have just started working for Cyclehoop, the company that you mention in the previous threads.

I came across the thread when performing a local press search.

We are most definitely looking to increase the provision in Southwark and we have just upgraded our website which helps you to view 'Lambeth Bikehangars' in your area and rent a space, view the local demand, register your own personal needs etc.

We then take our list of demands to local councillors to help push on the scheme. I can also speak to my colleague who is in charge of installations and he will be able to let me know of plans for Southwark over the coming months.

This is our upgraded website www.cyclehoop.com/rentals.

I do hope this helps.

Also, follow us on Twitter and facebook for the latest developments

Kind Regards

Hi Sue

I Can't provide a specific date as yet, all I can say is I will keep you posted and that it is happening. We are working with Southwark council on this (not our hold up). Have you sent your request through via our website so we can show southwark the need? We have also updated our rentals site with a document of how you can speed things up by starting petition etc.

www.cyclehoop.com/rentals and you will see a downloads area.

I hope this helps

stacey105 Wrote:

> Hi Sue

> I Can't provide a specific date as yet, all I can

> say is I will keep you posted and that it is

> happening. We are working with Southwark council

> on this (not our hold up). Have you sent your

> request through via our website so we can show

> southwark the need? We have also updated our

> rentals site with a document of how you can speed

> things up by starting petition etc.

>

> www.cyclehoop.com/rentals and you will see a

> downloads area.

> I hope this helps

xxxxxxxx

Sorry, I don't understand.

I thought Ulverscroft Road had already been earmarked for a cycle hangar. I have reserved a space via cyclehoop.

I just wondered when it was going to be installed. Presumably Southwark Council already recognise the need, as I thought they had approved it for this road?