East Dulwich Road/Adys/Crystal Palace Road Crossing

I intend to email James Barber direct - but thought I'd also post here.

I've noted for a while how brief the green man crossing time is at the East Dulwich Road/Adys/Crystal Palace Road crossing by the big playground at Goose Green. While at the playground with my daughter over the weekend I purposefully watched a range of different people crossing (old, young, male, female, single, coupled, with prams etc) and no one managed to get across during the 5 second bleeping/green man light. Furthermore, a significant proportion of people walk across the road on the diagonal.

For all, but particularly for children and those with poor sight or being hard of hearing; the current 5 second green man light and bleeping are not long enough. I am aware that it is a busy road, but it is also busy from the pedestrian side with the playground, leisure centre and school near by.

Therefore, I wondered whether there is the possibility of pushing forward a proposal for a) a slightly longer green man/bleep period and b) for the crossing to be adapted to allow diagonal crossing similar to Oxford Circus?

Any views/advice would be appreciated.

Love the idea of diagonal crossing. Chances of it happening: zero. Mainly because I believe Oxford Circus is the first and only one in the country and I doubt they'll be using ED as a test ground for a second. But lengthening the green man (perhaps only at appropriate times of day so it's only longer when it's helpful?)

As per email to Lucy.

Hi lucyjessica,

It took several years of campaigning and involving Lib Dem GLA Assembly Member Caroline Pidgeon to get the green person crossing time increased from 4 seconds to 5 seconds.

Last week I asked Southwark Council officials about how much TfL would charge to add Pedestrian Countdown to this junction. I've fowarded you the correspondence around this. Showing the 8 seconds between the green person ending and green lights to highway traffic should make the junction feel less threatening. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/15490.aspx#page-link-next-steps

I've proposed that we potentially use East Dulwich ward CGS capital funds for this.

The suggestion of a scatter (diagonal) crossing here we've also made in the past. But we have no working example of this in Southwark. However the first example is proposed for the junction of East Dulwich GRove with Green Dale and Townley Road. Lets see how that works out.

NB. One of the requirements is all arms to be red at the same time. This junction already has this so in my mind its a prime candidate eventually for a scatter crossing.

The annoying thing about this junction is that the green man doesn't appear until the traffic lights have been red for ages - so when on my own I tend to start crossing as soon as the traffic stops. Not with my children though obviously - so it's always a bit stressful trying to get them across before it goes red again.