Does anyone else have poor signal near the Horniman?

I've recently moved opposite the Horniman and the signal is awful to the point my phone doesn't even ring, just straight to voicemail, I'm on EE and paying for a contract yet can't make calls or receive calls. Would love to hear from anyone with same issues or a genius solution. Thanks

Whenever I'm on a 176 and using my phone it gets cut off as we pass Horniman. And yes, it's not something you tend to think about, I've recently moved and am having some signal issues (though not as severe as you).

I think you may be able to get some sort of signal boosters, but not sure whether they actually work very well.

It's basically the local topography. Microwave signals are low powered (so cells don't interfer with each other) and 'line-of-sight'. If you are under the brow of a hill (Horniman Hill and Sydenham Hill are both steep and close together) then you may not be 'line in sight' of any of the towers. You will pick up some signal, sometimes, but your signal will never be strong. Additionally connectivity is prioritised to support active calls, so if enough people are actively calling on your cell (or are entering your cell on a call) than they will have priority over your phone if it is simply in stand-by mode (not connected).

If you have a BT landline (and wifi) you can use the BT Smart Talk app to make outgoing calls on your cell via wifi at your BT call tariff. There are other ways of connecting your mobile through wifi - but none of these help with incoming calls.

There are also aps which will allow you to locate all the cells which may support your network. Additionally dropping down to GSM (from 3G) may get you a better signal - (or from 4G if you are using that on EE)

I live near you, and when I was on Orange (who I've been with since the company started) I didn't have any problems with signals and coverage-HOWEVER-Since they became EE I've had same problem as you, with a signal that comes and goes, very poor internet coverage, and texts that arrive hours after they've been sent.

Its become so bad (and not just in SE23) that I'm going to switch provider the moment my contact expires.

Hi! We've been leaving here for nearly two years. We've tried installing Sky, but the engineer who came said we stand no chance of getting any signal, so we canceled the subscription with them and got another with the only available BT. In terms of mobile phones, we've tried Orange, 3 and O2, before we finally settled with Vodafone, which has a decent signal in the area. The nearby woods and the multitude of singing birds make up for the inconvenience, though.

Th problem lays with the crystal palace tower.

Apparently if you talk to your provider they can lower the cost of your monthly contract. It's not just EE that has an issue if you live in a bad signal area it's the same problem with all providers. So switching won't help.

Talk to your provider be persistent and they are very likely to lower the cost of your monthly contract.

Hope this helps!

That's a long time leaving CataRosca. Funny, you lot must be spooked, I've lived on Horniman for about a decade and never had any problem with any signals, wi-fi or otherwise. You might want to start using that totem pole 'in future'...

Celt Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That's a long time leaving CataRosca.

:) I reckon! It's about time I leave my computer and go to bed, so I can live and write properly tomorrow. Anyway, we'll be leaving Forrest Hill soon, so maybe my subconsciuos had a word to say in there :)

Just set mine up and an immediate five bars, top stuff. I ended up paying 30 quid for it after arguing a lot (although they're ?150 online) which I'm not sure represents value, or if I should be upset about paying to plug a gap in their network.

Either way it just works and if you're ok to pay (or can talk them into a free one) I'd recommend getting one.

I live on Woodvale, and I have had continuos problems with my 02 connections. Decided to get a landline with my virgin contract, which works very well.

Yes the lovely surroundings of the Hornimans do make up for the lack of mobile phone connection.