People going through bins

PSJ

Just noticed two ladies methodically going through bins on Colwell Road. One walked away when I approach. Tearing open bags etc. and looking through things. Never seen them around here before. I've called 101, and they're sending a car to patrol. Anyone else see them?

I've seen people go though recycling bins. A better question would be to ask why people go through bins looking for items they presumably can make use of or sell on. Not everyone is in a position to throw things away as soon as they break down (or are replaced). Also there are sometimes mental health issues in play.

ruffers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There's a toaster in mine they're welcome to.

>

> It'll blow the fuse in their house.

xxxxxx

:))

ETA: I sort of feel that if people are so poor that they have to resort to this, what does it matter? If something is in a green bin, presumably its original owner doesn't want it any more.

Going through blue bins looking for ID stuff is a different matter, but aren't most people these days aware of the need to shred things which could be used for fraud?

I witnessed two women doing this late last year in Nunhead near the station. When I confronted them they played dumb saying they didn't understand English. They were obviously on the thief for personal information. I was able to actually tell a policeman who was a few streets away but i doubt they did anything.

I witnessed two women follow an old chap on Matham Road about 2 months ago. When he went into his house they started to look through bins in front gardens. I then observed them walk around the block back onto lordship lane and get into a car that was parked up with two men and a woman in. I'm in no doubt that they were up to no good and they appeared to be part of a team plying their trade. police we're called and arrived blooming quick.

The two women were at the bottom of Landcroft Road x CPR a couple of hours ago... a builder working on the corner house confronted one of them, and she immediately stopped.

Out of curiosity, I checked my own bin when I got home and found that each bin bag was torn and the contents reviewed and emptied unceremoniously into the bin. I'm irritated, but she probably stopped when she tore into the bag with a week's worth of dog poo in it.

As someone who was burgled yesterday daytime, I'd reiterate what the police told us which was any suspicious activity must be reported. Eastern European gangs are still operating in the area. Even if it turns out to be a genuine, harmless case, please just tell the police in the first instance.