Cat Epidemic (stop them going in my garden)

Can anyone recommend a non violent remedy, to what seems like the entire ED cat community,from cr$pping in my garden. Personally I cannot understand why anyone would wish to own one (a cat, that is), but that is a different debate entirely

If no recomendation is forthcoming I shall have to resort to posting the same thread but, ommit the words 'non violent'

Make sure you have no bare soil, sand or gravel - if they can't scrape it up to cover their poos, they won't go there.

Coffee grounds (get free from coffee shops, or staff canteens) will help deter cats - as well as recycling waste and acting as a liquid fertiliser for your garden

Citrus rind / scent - also works

Ms B Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Make sure you have no bare soil, sand or gravel -

> if they can't scrape it up to cover their poos,

> they won't go there.

Um, I get cats that come into my garden and poo (a) in the middle of the lawn and (b) on the slate in front of my front door. In other words, nowhere near loose material.

Mabel, you have my sympathy. We've waged a three year war against the mogs around here, we've tried everything from lion dung to ultrasonic whistles, and at best these are a minor deterrent. Most effective of all has been putting plastic spike strips along the tops of those fences that are the regular cat routes. This has certainly caused most of them to divert, but of course it probably means they are now merely somebody else's problem.

I have cats and foxes, and the cat droppings are in the middle of the lawn, smelly, and soft. Fox droppings are around the far corners, hard white like small dog excreta.

I would rather have none, but the only way it seems is to sell up, and get an abode without a garden.

I'm horrified to hear that town cats poo in the open! I thought covering it up was one of their strongest instincts. How degenerate!

It's not degenerate. Confident, territorial cats do not cover up their poos as it is a way for them to show the area belongs to them. Therefore if you put lion dung in your garden, the local cats will think that a great big beast has just moved in. That's the theory at least.

Clearly I have only been acquainted with softy cats until now! I was always told it was about hunting, hiding the smell from potential prey, but perhaps in towns territory is a bigger driver.

You do learn a lot on this forum, don't you.

I had a long, drawn out battle with the local moggie. At the moment I believe I have won, but I'm not lowering the defences yet.

Not being a cat owner, my garden became claimable turf for the catlord that lived a few doors down. It would have huge dumps in the middle of my lawn to claim it. Hitting one of these with a flymo is a rather unpleasant experience. I once spied it through the patio doors mid-dump. Unable to get my keys in time I banged on the door, but it was rather determined to finish what it had started.

I started with some green wax anti-cat pellets from Dulwich Garden centre. The cat took these as a personal affront. I scattered the pellets - it buried them and left a steaming pile in their place. I removed the crap and replaced the pellets. It turned into a war of attrition. I thought I'd really piss it off by attaching some of the pellets to it's favourite sitting post, but it actually counter attacked by leaving a dump on top of the post!!. I can't even begin to imagine how it pulled off this rather impressive balancing act.

I then tried a dual tactic of Zoo Poo (lion dung) and chasing the damn thing away whenever I could. Got a sneaky one in one day when I noticed it basking in next door's garden, thinking it was safe from me. It got a rude shock when a blast from my garden hose hit it...

The bottom line is - you have to establish yourself as top cat, then it will leave you alone. Clean up all cat poo ASAP, use lion dung and yell at the damn thing whenever possible. It will take time.