Fab new novel set in East Dulwich/Peckham

Half way through a very local crime thriller...lots of mentions of Lordship Lane, Peckham Rye etc. Very gripping and can't put down plus the local aspect makes it so much more exciting! It's called Never Look Back by Clare Donoghue (apparently she used to live in Nunhead).

Hi smashing,

Thanks for sharing, have added it to my Amazon wish list. It's a bit on the expensive side (on kindle) at the moment and despite the good reviews I don't think the price tag justifies for a d?but novel... I'll pick up a copy if the price lowers or fork out when I run out of things to read (Which is probably never...)

Kind regards,

Louis.

Thank you for telling us about it. I've dowloaded it on Kindle. I think it will frustrate locals a bit, though. The girl would not have walked past The Bishop on her way from ED station to the Tesco metro on ED Road.. I wonder how many more of those strange bits of geography we will find...

singalto Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you for telling us about it. I've dowloaded

> it on Kindle. I think it will frustrate locals a

> bit, though. The girl would not have walked past

> The Bishop on her way from ED station to the Tesco

> metro on ED Road.. I wonder how many more of those

> strange bits of geography we will find...

This reminded me of a funny story a few years ago when lots of tourists were getting lost in Paris trying to follow the route described the Da Vinci Code between the Louvre and the American Embassy. The book has it completely wrong.

No one at the barrier at East Dulwich Station so the ticket I had purchased was not required.

Leaving the station I was drawn to a commotion outside The Cherry Tree pub where a rotund

red faced fellow was arguing with a guy in Chef's attire.

As I walked towards towards Goose Green an open space where sheep used to graze, I played

broken buscuits with the cracked flagstones.

I slipped on somthing quite nasty but was unable so make out what it was due to street lights being out.

On reaching the roundabout I noticed the damaged brickwork where the 176 bus had struck it.

A bycycle with buckled front wheel was tied to the railings. I shuddered at what may of happened.

I looked up Lordship lane where there were blue flashing lights whiched appeared to be outside

The Bishop Pub. The road was taped off.

I turned on to East Dulwich Road. People were taking their dogs for their last bodily functions

of the day. Some with little blue plastic bags scooping down to retrieve the business.

Others not so.

Walking past the childrens playground, a group of young lads and lasses were drinking from cans

and having a bit of a laugh..

Crossing the road at the new crossing, the one were no one knows which lane they are supposed

to be in. I approached the doors of Tesco Metro. They were closed. The place had just been robbed.

DulwichFox

Otta Wrote:

> Do you hate dulwich foxy?

No mate... I would not live here if I did.

I could easily move out and rent out my ED property..

It is because I like it so much I recent people who are trying to ruin it.

Like when people are happy to pay ?12.00 for a Burger or ?8.00 for a bottle of beer and

then go on about not being able to buy a property in the area.

Well the two go hand in hand.

Foxy.

Also foxy, whilst you're right to say that house prices tend to be high in areas with "boutique" services, I don't think it's realistic to say that a person can't afford a house because they've treated themselves to a posh burger! I could live off rice and water and I'd still not be able to buy a place in ED.

Otta Wrote:

> Also foxy, whilst you're right to say that house

> prices tend to be high in areas with "boutique"

> services, I don't think it's realistic to say that

> a person can't afford a house because they've

> treated themselves to a posh burger! I could live

> off rice and water and I'd still not be able to

> buy a place in ED.

You miss my point..

So does not matter what you eat.

House prices are artificially high because the area has been so called 'Gentryfied'

That comes about by having trendy bars and restaurants on your doorstep.

So people patronising these places are helping to raise prices in the area.

It also has a knock on effect of small shop owners no longer being able to pay over inflated rents.

Big chains take over and the area is ruined. My point earlier.

DulwichFox