What's Happening on Crawthew Grove Project?

Not so long ago there was a big building project going on on Crawthew Grove, on the elbow of the road and down a gap in the houses. According to what I heard someone was building a house on the old industrial site which had a basement with private cinema. If you went pass last year you would have seen the street lined with Portacabins and lorries taking away tons on earth from the massive excavation. There was a pit on the site about 20-30 feet deep, dug for the basement and steelwork holding the existing houses apart. People in the nearby house said how they had put up with months of disruption, now all is quiet and the building work has stopped; someone said that the house builders had run out of money.

This must be the biggest 'Grand Designs' project in ED, but what will happens now? With all due respect to the house owners, I do have sympathy, but how do the neighbours feel about about the situation, does anyone know?

It would be nice if they just got on and finished it (presumably they do intend to at some point) but I do love the fact that we have our parking spaces back that they were squatting on. Their absence has made a huge difference on that front. I did speculate that if the site had filled with water in the recent heavy rainfall this may have created some additional issues and led to a suspension of works..

If anyone knows who the owner is supposed to be it would be unlikely that they would be running out of money anytime soon. Don?t know if it is open knowledge or right to state who it is on this board

JimH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If anyone knows who the owner is supposed to be it

> would be unlikely that they would be running out

> of money anytime soon. Don?t know if it is open

> knowledge or right to state who it is on this

> board

xxxxxxx

The owner has already been named on the other thread about this site, and to the best of my knowledge was in the public domain already via the planning application to the council?

There were builders apparently working in there last week when I passed, but I've no idea what they were doing, if anything.

• 2 weeks later...

speedbird Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > JimH, I think it's common knowledge, apparently

> he

> > was quite open about it on Twitter...

>

>

> Who is it then? Someone famous? Pray tell...

xxxxxxx

Depends how you define famous :)

worldwiser Wrote:

> An extremely helpful and apologetic letter from

> the owner's architects was put through our door

> today. All is explained with contact details

> should there be further disruption. Anyone who

> didn't receive a copy let me know and I'll scan

> it.

xxxxx

This is pure nosiness as I don't live on Crawthew Grove (though I walk down it often) but could you give us a brief description of the explanation?

Were there apologies for the giant multi-loo parked in the road for weeks? Is it coming back?!

Sue Wrote:

> speedbird Wrote:

> -----

> > Jeremy Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > JimH, I think it's common knowledge,

> apparently

> > he

> > > was quite open about it on Twitter...

> >

> >

> > Who is it then? Someone famous? Pray tell...

>

> xxxxxxx

>

> Depends how you define famous :)

Oh Sue, just spill! Who is it? Is it the vaguely semi famous actor that had Belair House, can't remember name...

Explanation seems to stem from being let down by dodgy contractors. Who have now been fired and replaced and hence a delay. The new ones have apparently set up their facilities on site so there will be no further disruption to parking by their site offices. They're promising weekly newsletters until it's finished. How exciting :-)

Why don't I think that this sudden concern for the welfare of the local residents is completely sincere? Didn't see much sign of it when the road was blocked by lorries and huge skips and sheds took up the parking spaces. Not to mention the total unsuitability of the project to start with. Could the owner have a fleeting sense of concern that the Council might at last start objecting?