Goose Green - Fence to be removed

Hi,

I read today that the Council are to remove the fence that crosses Goose Green and carry out a study to see if it improves the park (returning it to as it was before). They will also conduct a doggy doo doo's study. Is it me or are they issuing more parking fine's to carry out these needless studies. The fence although it is of good quality will be removed, stored at ?1k a month and then sold too Mr. Trotter.

We have to be truly grateful that we Have a Council does not waste time and money.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

LibraCarr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi,

>

> I read today that the Council are to remove the

> fence that crosses Goose Green and carry out a

> study to see if it improves the park (returning it

> to as it was before).

Ah, I was just about to post about this.

As I read it the idea was to see if it improves things, by monitoring Doggie Do, and if not then banning dogs from the green altogether. Now call me a cynic, but if you allow dogs free roam across the whole of the green then surely it is going to be worst, so seems like they have already made the decision to ban dogs.

Personally speaking, as some one who responsibly scoops, the problem with GG for dogs is that they have the run of the greater share of the green, and also within that area there are three exists through which an errant dog can get onto a road. Personally I believe the dog area should be smaller, with only one way into it.

Will be interested to hear what the person who's name is on the poster has to say, as I'll be mailing her.

am i the only person to think this is an quite unbelievable waste of money?! have people's views really changed that much in a couple of years? or is it just that those few people who really don't like the fence / original consultation process(and are possibly more organised and used to moaning about local matters) have shouted louder than anyone else?

i think it is a good idea.

She'llsurvive Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> am i the only person to think this is an quite

> unbelievable waste of money?!.. i think it is a good idea.

Eh? Is it a waste of money or a good idea?! Can't be both.

And if you were on the council and charged with doing the task, yet keeping all of the boroughs residents informed, consulted etc how exactly would you tackle the problem

It'll only take one parent (who obviously thinks the council wastes money) to have their child infected by some dog excrement to sue the council and then they will genuinely be screwed for cash

But I'm open to better ways of doing things, particularly if people have genuine experience of doing this kind of work

Oh come on Sean everyone knows what a waste Southwark has been over the years, you talk as though this is something carefully thought out to ensure a way for everyone to be kept well informed, thats so far from the truth it isnt funny. This council has one of the biggest annual budgets across the whole country, we pay high council tax bills to have streets strewn with rubbish most of the time and yet they can justify WASTING large sums of cash by taking the fence down to monitor dog sh*t! What planet are you from?

Louisa.

I think Sean is spot on Louisa. They consulted and are trying something out based on those consultations. Give them a chance - or why not get off your soapbox and stand for the council yourself as you seem to have all the answers.

I happen to think Southwark Council get an undeserved hard time as all of my contact with them has been excellent.

Louisa mentioned rubbish - you ring them abnd they clear it up with a few hours.

The other option is to moan moan moan on EDF - or ring them. I think young people call that a "no brainer".

Getting back to Goose Green I'd actually ban dogs completely, buts thats just my anti dog prejudice.

jonsuissy I think maybe you should get off your pro Southwark soapbox and climb into reality here. This council has year on year put up council tax, they admitted last year alone that almost every single one of their departments had gone over budget and predicted "above-inflation council tax rises for the foreseeable future", so guess what they do to remedy this wastefulness? Councillor Toby Eckersley, executive member for finance, said he was calling for a review on the publicity spending. He said: "In light of this, all areas of discretionary expenditure need to be looked at very closely." What a joke, why cant common sense prevail when it comes to spending? We do not need the fence removed from GG, what we need is to maintain the dog area as it is and provide a key to sensible dog owners who wish to use the facility. It doesnt cost much to put a lock on a couple of gates does it? Consulations are meant to be a way of doing the local community a favour, but having experienced this horrid council for most of my life, I have seen these wasteful consultations lead to nothing but further confusion.

Louisa.

Louisa - it might be common sense to you but I suspect the council have received a large number of complaints about that fence and want it removed - if the council do nothing then another section of the rate-paying population will accuse them of arrogance and complacency - it's lose/lose for them

I think the fence is an eyesore and was a mistake.

If putting mistakes right cost money, then so be it.

I love dogs, but would prefer to see them banned from Goose Green if that is the only way it can revert back to one big open space as it was before. The Rye is only ten minutes down the road and has dog-friendly spaces.

Fence and palm tree, AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH

I would not ignore complaints about the fence, but I would argue the case that it is by far the best option and any other options explored by the council will result in further confusion with little result at the end - oh, and it may cost a few thousands pounds of our money to sort it out! Ridiculous, I honestly believe that any council in their right mind would have dealt with this issue a long time ago, but in the wisedom of this worldy bunch of 'no-hoper's' confined to the council offices in Peckham, it will go on for a little longer just so that they can be seen to be doing something for us all. How about spending some money on "real" issues rather than dithering around pety fencing issues in a small park.

Louisa.

Louisa, it would be great if you would please start another thread in the Lounge about what you think the "real" issues that the council should deal with are as I am genuinely interested. In the meantime we're all wondering what the council said when you brought up the issue of them wasting time and money on the fence, please let us know.

The council consulted with the 'Friends of Goose Green' (self appointed group open to all) who held a couple of meetings recently in the Goose Green centre - if you go to GG regularly, you'll have seen the various notices. Minutes were published, and I believe the secretary posts here and may be able to replicate - if not, I can probably dig them up. I wasn't able to go to the meetings, but the minutes showed a wide variety of opinions - the usual concerns of parents/concerns of dog owners - which came down to a consensus to remove the fence for a trial period.

Great idea.

Get rid of the stupid fences. As far as I can see, our lovely, friendly pet owners think it is pen to allow their dogs to wander without lead and blow their guts on the grass for any hapless person to step/ sit/ fall on. Perhaps, it will encourage them to keep them on a lead, or be forced to scrape a very flat Tiddles or Fang, or whatever they call their dogs, off of East Dulwich Road.

I think the fence was always a mistake and just because it's there, it shouldn't be a reason for the Council to change their mind and realise the error of their ways. They did the same successfully on the bottom of Peckham Rye.