Opportunistic Thieving

ynwa

It would appear that our car was subject to a seemingly opportunistic & unforced break-in on Hillcourt Road last / over night. I suspect that my wife failed to lock the car yesterday evening as there was no sign of forced entry and the alarm hadn't gone off. Our bad, obviously, but opportunistic thieves are obviously operating in the area so double/triple click the lock button on your key fob to be sure the car is locked (as I do!), and try not to leave valuables in the car. If anyone is offered a rather old iPod Touch which (I think) has 'icePod' engraved on the back of it, do let me know. Thanks.

The same thing has also happened to us on Hillcourt Road about a month back, just some loose change taken from the glove box so no great harm. I had the same assumption that my wife forgot to lock the car but I'd not heard of these blockers.

It may not have been unlocked - There have been reports that thieves have started to use scanners in the area to read the remote codes as people lock / unlock their cars. Though this is conjecture there has been a spate of this kind of theft ie no apparent break in.

Silver linings - i'd rather someone could unlock my car and find the ?1 kept for parking in the Glove compartment than the twice we've had the lock barrell screwdrivered at ?100 + a pop to fix.

Scumbags would hopefully accidentally find their heads slammed in the door if they got found as the police and law does SFA

Years ago I had my old car broken into in Brixton. They levered back the driver door to get in. I'd rather they'd smashed a window because the cost of a new door was huge. I then put mouse traps under the front seats and parked the car in the same spot a week later. Just as I predicted they bent the already damaged door back and broke in. On both occasions there was nothing in the vehicle to steal, except for the now sprung mouse traps :D

It's alll very well saying don't leave valuables in the car, but theives will break in anyway, expecting to find something in the glove compartment etc. My current vehicle was broken into before Christmas outside my home. They screw drivered the lock. But that at least is something I can repair myself for less than ?30. Mine was one of two broken into - the other had its window smashed. Police told us there are thieves operating locally looking for satnavs and targetting taxis and commercial vehicles. My view is that its better to leave nothing valuable in the car but don't think that theives look for vehicles that are easier to break into anymore. Theives can find a way to break into ANY car.

Same thing happened to us last Thursday night. After a family bereavement and a dash to Ireland and back we were so tired after get back into the house we forgot to lock our car on St Aidans Road. In the morning discovered it had been rummaged through. Luckily I had taken all the valuables out before leaving for Ireland but still annoying that someone had tried there luck!

Car rental companies in Ibiza advise you to leave your car unlocked at beach car parks etc..

Opportunistic thieves Thieves will rummage through, find nothing and then bugger off. But won't damage the car itself.

I'm not suggesting this for London - unlike a small island, stolen cars can be hidden and dealt with. But I wonder if leaving glove boxes open is a prudent start down that route...

• 2 weeks later...
Our car was also broken into on Friday night on the corner of Landcroft Road and Pellatt Road. We thought it was possible left unlocked, but possible some other clever way used to get into it. Thankfully there was no damage, just some prescription sunglasses and our sat nav gone. Shame they didn't take the bag from the boot that was destined for the charity shop!

• 2 weeks later...