Haberdasher's Aske ED

Just got the following email from East Dulwich Lib Dems:

New East Dulwich Secondary Free School - Haberdashers' Aske's on board

Last night the Haberdashers' Aske's Federation agreed to take forward the Lib Dem initiated and led campaign for a new East Dulwich secondary free school to solve the increasing secondary school place crisis. Well done to the Parents Steering Group that helped decide which school provider to go with. It was difficult decision provider to join all the other local outstanding secondary schools we have locally. fully story here: http://jamesbarber.mycouncillor.org.uk/?p=2474

Please register your support for a new local secondary school at www.newschool.org.uk

Very exciting news. Please do register your support (assuming you do support it).

Hi Vik,

We had a fair selection process and the parents Steering Group scored both Haberdashers' and Charter School against the same criteria. This resulted in a unanimous decision to go with Haberdashers'. We invested a lot of time meeting and considering the Charter School.

Hence my view that Haberdasher's are the best partner for our new school.

So yes I am disappointed that they have decided to try and replace our decision with their own decision. They clearly don't want increased competition. It will be hugely distracting from them in a year they should expect an Ofsted inspection. It will complicate the whole process for everyone.

Could we have detail about the scoring system and the ctiteria used to rank potential sponsors ?

I see that you've already said " They don't have experience of the free school process. They originally thought they could bang out an application in a few weeks. " and that it was a " danger " that the DoE might suggest The Charter expand on it's existing site and that Charter parents might not want this .

Leaving aside the fact that we don't know what Charter parents might want ,surely having an existing site that could ( if that were to be confirmed ) expanded is a good thing ? Not to mention more cost effective than purchasing a new site .

Purchase of land on the hospital site hasn't happened yet has it ?

James,

Your process had no formal authority to make a decision on the behalf of the community. I don't really understand the point you make about competition. What local parents want is sufficent places in local good and outstanding schools for their children. The Charter School is very over-subscribed, and an outstanding new school in East Dulwich - who ever runs it - will meant that more children get to attend an outstanding local school - it wouldn't detrimentally impact Charter's pupil numbers.

There are some very compelling reasons for the Charter School Education Trust to open another school a short distance form the current one - which are not about competition, but about synergies that benefit the pupils and wider community.

Derek Hill

Governor of Charter School (speaking in a personal capacity)

Hi ITATM,

Certainly doubling the number of pupils at The Charter School on the existing site would be more cost effective.

Hi Derek,

I've led a campaign for a new free school. close to 500 families have lent their support for this campaign and a Steering Group of 20 parents from those 500 families have worked really hard to make the best possible decision to select a school provider.

I said a thorough scoring exercise was undertaken after many many hours of working by Steering Group parents and included sharing our questions and criteria enabling a thorough response from The Charter. I'm sorry coming second is unacceptable to you and that you've decided to start your own campaign. Southwark and Lambeth need great providers and I'd have hoped if you now have discovered a desire to provide another secondary school you'd try and create one where no campaign exists and is needed.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Jeremy,

> The Department for Education are very unlikely to

> approve two new schools. So we now have a

> potentially bitter contest between two rival

> campaigns.

So to clarify, is it not final that Aske's will be the new school?

James, Otta, Jeremy,

It sounds like there may be two applications to the DfE Free School competition. That doesn't need to be a bitter contest. The DfE makes a decision based on the quality of the bids. The community should win either way if a high quality new school opens.

Derek

Ignore that, have reread the posts above and the links provided.

This does seem pretty shoddy from Charter, stinks of sore loser. I take Derek's point about Charter being oversubscribed, but it doesn't necessarily follow that the families that don't get in would rather a second Charter in the area than another option.

Look at all the complaints about Harris monopolising areas, surely choice so long as it's comparable is always preferable to more of the same.

Otta - in terms of the campaign we've been posting about on here and Facebook, we have selected Haberdashers' Aske's as our preferred provider for a new secondary school in East Dulwich, after serious consideration. However as pointed out above, it is ultimately up to DfE to consider the application(s) and make a decision on whether to grant the requisite funding and status. Basically any provider (and that includes completely new schools) could apply, but the application process is not for the faint hearted, and we feel reassured by the fact Habs has been through this process before.

Talk of a bitter contest between two well established and respected educational establishments who have declared an interest is frankly childish. It is surely better that we have as many qualified groups potentially bidding rather than just one that happens to have the backing of the local Lib-Dems?

I can only speak as a parent who knows the Charter well and say that, if they can replicate what they have achieved in just over 10 years in Dulwich Village with a proposed new school in East Dulwich, it would only be of benefit to the local community.

Personally I'd rather have a new provider like Haberdsher Askes in the area so that I can make a choice between that and Charter. Think this puts Charter in a bad light....people amaze me, no-one was working on a new secondary school for east dulwich....James took on the mantle and things are progressing well, then suddenly everyone is up in arms saying why haven't they been involved and a local school decides they suddenly want to step into the breach on the back of all the hard work already done. Thank you James, thank you parents of the steering committee, I look forward to following the progress of an outstanding new school.

Could we have some detail on the criteria used to decide which sponsor to go with ?

As promised earlier

James Barber March 12, 03:31PM

"I anticipate the decision we take having a clear explanation of how we reached it. Supporters can rthen withdraw their support. One of the joys with obvious disbenefits is the Steering Group is able to make quick decisions. "

( In reply to kirstymacs " But the Steering Group must have some process in place for deciding who that provider will be - its not unreasonable to ask that question is it? " )

simonethebeaver March 12, 03:55PM

We will also be happy to explain exactly why we chose that provider

I went to Aske's in the 90s when it was separate boys school and girls school. I imagine the vast majority of the staff from back then are no longer working there, and I have absolutely no ties to the organisation today. And couldn't tell you a thing about it in terms of personal experience.

Likewise I have nothing at all against Charter.

I am just an interested reader who thought it was good to see that Aske's was going to be opening a school in an area which is screaming out for a new secondary. I just think the way Charter have gone about things today is a bit crap.

Had the announcement been that Charter had come out top, and Aske's then tried to get in by the back door, I'd be saying exactly the same about them.