Street Art Vandalised

Zak

It looks like Southwark have been at it again.

As part of the Baroque The Streets initiative, the Mexican artist,Pablo Delgado produced a minature interpretation of several works from Dulwich Gallery. It was was located on a small low wall at the end of Oglander Road and only the other day I saw a party of school children on a Baroque The Streets art tour, inspecting this particular work of art.

Sadly that won't happen again, since someone keen to improve that quality of our environment,I imagine from Southwark Council,has decided that the wall in question needed a nice coat of white paint. And guess what's happened? See attached photo of said art.

Which other pieces of street art do you think they might believe need to be cleaned up?

Zak and KidKruger,

A real shame that the work has gone - probably house owner (or landlord) want's their nice clean wall back.

There'll be more Street Art to come, I'm sure. We have some of the best work in London in ED now.

Cheers.

The same happened to tiny beautiful street art by the same artist on the corner of Colwell Road and Lordship Lane - there were three - two on the corner house and one on a lamppost - the lamppost one is the only remaining one. I spoke to the painters when they were decorating and they said they wouldn't paint over it - but they did. When I asked they said the residents wanted it. I can't believe they'd be so ignorant as to get rid of such a unique and lovely feature - and if they'd realised it's value they probably wouldn't have! It was so unobtrusive too. I loved it, as did my children and I wish it had been painted on my wall!

Sad to see charming little original artworks (just a couple of inches high!) by a talented international artist as 'damage by an oik'. If money the only concern a little long-sightedness might recognise the value of something so unique and beautiful.

I agree that it's a shame that the art has been removed. There has been vandalism of the more traditional kind to art near to East Dulwich station - now removed - and to the "art house" near to Townley Road/Lordship Lane junction: the three-eyed man has been tagged and tagging has appeared on the house itself and on the board outside.

I hope there is more art to come. Anyone have any inside knowledge?

Shame that so many so called 'Talented Artists' rely on defacing other people's properties

to show off their work.

So much of it now that most of it goes unnoticed.

Why not use some other media to display ones work and see how many people would actually

be willing to pay for it.

DulwichFox

I am not for tagging - ugly, brutish and sometimes gang-related - but if the house owner on whose property the art is placed has agreed to it, then I'm for it, DF. It's true that not all of it will be to everyone's taste, but since that is unlikely to ever happen it's not an excuse not to do it.

It is sad that three paste-ups by Pablo Delgado have been removed. The owner of the wall on Oglander Road gave permission, and loved the piece. I dont know about the ones on Colwell Road. I think Pablo just put them up there. But if you look carefully, the shadows of the paper people/animals, which were painted on the pavement, are still there. A tiny trace has been left behind!

I take lots of school children around the street works and they particularly love the little pictures by Pablo on the walls and by Ben Wilson on bits of chewing gum on the pavements.

However Pablo has just come back to London where he is having a show, and has said he will return to Dulwich to replace any that we want replaced. He will do this in early May. So if anyone would like one of his witty little narratives on their outside wall, let me know.

claresy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sad to see charming little original artworks

> (just a couple of inches high!) by a talented

> international artist as 'damage by an oik'. If

> money the only concern a little long-sightedness

> might recognise the value of something so unique

> and beautiful.

xxxxx

Totally agree.