Forest Hill Road Coffee Shop - Now Open

Ah Bon3yard, don't worry. They'll get what's coming to them when you conquer the world selling your homemade pies (which I'm very much looking forward to trying next week!) ;-)

Edited to add that I'm very much looking forward to trying out the new cafe, it'll be the closest to where I live - good luck to them!

Went in this morning for a doupio espresso and was pleased with the thick tar-like liquid that was brought over. Love the tables and chairs. Had a chat with the owner and she seemed to think it was going well. Still a bit of an empty feel in there, but as time mkaes it feel more homely I think it will improve. (I have to say that the only think I don't like is the horrid front door!)

I visited as well today and was impressed with the fairy cakes, sandwiches and bread. The decor did have a feel of having been done on a very tight budget but welcoming none the less. Good friendly service and I am looking forward to visiting again.

Spangles30 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes good luck to them. Hopefully the service will

> be better than in the Peckham Rye Cafe. I went in

> there (again) this week and the chap and blonde

> girl behind the counter were as miserable as

> ever....

Mrs clive3300 heard a customer have a go at them because the quite delicious ice creams were hideously expensive at ?2.

Is ?2 a lot for a good ice-cream?

It doesn't sound that much to me. Or is that the point you were trying to make clive?

I'm confused. I think I must be caffeine deficient, perhaps I'll head out to that new cafe...

• 2 weeks later...
I finally made it in to the new cafe yesterday - can highly recommend their chocolate brownies! The place had a nice feel to it, and the two women working there were really friendly. Had a chat and they said they've been busy which is great. Good luck to them!

Ice cream is ?1.50 a single scoop, ?2.25 for two scoops, and it is gorgeous. For ?1.50 you can get a single scoop with a flake from a van in Dulwich Park (up 25% since last year).

Double espresso at ?1.40 is terrific value.

I have now gorged myself on all three of the cakes on the menu and will be back for more

Ditto the smoked bacon, somerset Brie & cranberry sauce in a rustic baguette

Sorry I know I am getting boring now....>:D<

Spangles30 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A nice place to have breakfast on a Sunday I'd

> have thought. What time is this place open from

> and when does it close? Is there an outside area

> out back?

It opens at 9am on weekends, there's no outside area outback.

not bad! small menu, nice coffee, staff friendly. Not kidded up to the nines. gr8 for us. we can choose between creche life or quiet life in peckrye/forest hill road. Swingin' up here now. Its a bit meaty is my only diss. Small bother. Theres a few things to eat but mainly its a coffee joint anyhow.Coffee and cake. yum.

9am till 6 on Saturday and 9am till 4pm on Sunday apparently.

Lovely pain au raisin and coffee this morning.

They could expand their breakfast menu to do eggs etc, but they've only been open a few weeks and I guess that they will expand the menu at some point

Nice atmosphere.

Loads of French folk brunching, has ED become the new French hot-spot??

I think it is nice in there - the coffee is lovely and the whole cafe is pretty calm and clean. Think there is something of a weird clinical atmosphere though - or maybe that was my hangover kicking as I felt pretty rancid compared to all the clean, lovely looking families in there!

This place never ceases to amaze me. Went there today and asked for a double espresso, croissant butter and jam. I was expecting the usual foil/plastic-wrapped mini-portions. Instead whatw as brought out was a butter dish with almost 250gms of butter on it, and a Kilner jar with home-made jam: both butter and jam were left on the table. Total cost was ?2.65. I swear this must be the best value, best quality continental breakfast in London and probably much of Paris too! Surely they will have to put the prices up soon?! A fine rustic baguette to take away was only ?1.25...

Oh and I did not mention the glass of iced-water you get brought automatically which is, of course free.

And the cafe now has Wireless Internet....

And no I have no financial interest whatsoever in this place!

I visited again yesterday with Mr Pickle and baby Pickles in tow (don't worry, older baby was very well behaved and tiny baby asleep!) - once again a really nice experience. I'm addicted to the chocolate brownies, and the hot chocolate was lovely too. Mr Pickle tried the gooey chocolate cake, very nice!

Highly recommended to anyone who still hasn't tried it out.