Open letter to Tesco - Peckham Rye Common

Warning, this message contains a rant about/to Tesco. It is not the most articulate but it has made me feel much better having failed, not for the first time, to buy the simple ingredients for a stir fry!

Can we try and make a sufficient amount of noise so that Tesco take some action, like they did in Haggerston?

Dear Tesco,

Your store on East Dulwich Road, by Peckham Rye, is possibly the worst convenience store in London for the following reasons:

1. Regardless of the day or time that I visit, the store is in a filthy, untidy fly infested shambles.

2.Fridges/freezers are broken and leaking, shelves are half stocked, with every day items such as stir frys and feta cheese missing - Please do some market research and understand your customer base in this part of town.

3. I have taken items home and then realised they are already out of date. True I should check but why are you trying to sell these items? Perhaps if you stocked the shelves more promptly, products, would be in date?

4. The aisles are invariably blocked by empty boxes and discaarded packaging. Normally soaking wet due to the leaking fridges and freezers.

5.The store is understaffed, normally with just one person on the till serving a queue of 10 people. The other staff are either hiding, chatting to each other or kicking rotten fruit around the store before putting in back on the shelf for sale.

6. You allow the drunkards and beggars to sit by the entrance and intimidate customers? You have a security guard, can't he "deal with them"?

Please sort this store out. It is a disgrace to Tesco and frankly I am not suprised your profits are reducing. This is not a unique issue, as well advertised with your terrible store in Haggerston!

http://haggerston-tescos.tumblr.com/

Sincerely,

A new Sainabury's customer.

clockworkorange Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 2.Fridges/freezers are broken and leaking, shelves are half stocked, with every day items such as

> stir frys and feta cheese missing - Please do some market research and understand your customer base

I feel your pain. I popped in there once for some foie gras and some Beluga caviar and left sorely disappointed. How could they do that to me?

I wholeheartedly agree with you & long ago abandoned all the supermarkets in favour of the individual butchers/grocers/ chemists who care about their customers...... The few that are left after the chainstores are putting them out of business

How do we not know the OP is of Greek and Chinese heritage and the desire to buy Feta and stir-fry ingredients from a single shop at a budget is an important consideration in their shopping needs? OP do you have a recipe to share for this?

Any criticism of the quality of any establishment is fair to be raised IMO, i for one am happy to see reviews about the quality of local establishments.

Telling people to bugger off isn't constructive for us a community.

The trolling of clockworkorange is pointless.

Social media (including the EDF) is an effective tool for consumers to communicate with businesses, especially when they may feel unappreciated when they have tried to give feedback through more traditional channels.

OP said they would no longer shop there and wanted to highlight to our community there thoughts on the establishment and ask for assistance in getting their voice heard.

clockworkorange, maybe you should tweet to Tesco?

I wonder if such issue would exist if there was a Waitrose situated on that site...

You can't find feta cheese and stir fry at your local store and you decide to rant about it on a public forum (fair enough) and throw into the mix the issue of the poor guy that sits out front occasionally. It is always the same guy, and he is never drunk or abusive or intimidating in any way from what I have seen, and I shop there almost daily. I want to rant about that. The fact that he feels he has to beg. I bet he would love to swap you for your problems.

As for the staff in there. It is one of the main reasons I shop there. Always helpful and polite. Very friendly. I have never seen them off chatting while customers need them. They have two particularly friendly women that serve at the counter. One of them was telling just after Xmas how her and her family gave up their Christmas day to help out with a charity that feeds families that are down on their luck, up at the Oval cricket grounds. With staff of that quality working there I don't suppose they mind the poor guy that sits at the door sometimes.

It has been my experience that whenever a bit of a queue builds up, another member of staff will come up from the back of the store and open a second till. There has been a bit of wet mess on the floor up there a while back, but that was after the storms and clearly part of the roof was leaking over by the veg section. Hardly indicative of how they run the store on a day to day basis. The Tesco store at the end of Nigel Rd I think it a fair bit bigger and yet I can never find what I want in there unlike the Tesco in East Dulwich Rd. For its size it is pretty well stocked.

I had to put my two penneth worth in. I really like the local Tesco.

Why is everyone being so negative towards the person who has started this thread for.

And ultraburner how do you know the person is telling a lie cause I use the Tesco there and it is dirty majority of the times I go there and there is only ever one person on the tills and there's been occasions I've stood waiting to be served whilst the cashier stood chatting to some one who's stocking the fridges I've asked questions before in regards to certain items only for the so called worker to huff and puff and mumble an answer to me so people telling someone to bugger off or grow up should remove themselves from this thread and not comment on it not everyone has a pleasant experience shopping at the Tesco express so maybe those people who are calling others liars and sp forth need to grow up

I use this supermarket frequently for small purchases, and I would completely disagree with OP and helpinghandcleaners. There is the odd occasion when shelves are sparse or one of the employees has a box on the floor trying to stock up, but other than that, the staff are friendly, and the shop is what you would expect from these smaller supermarket outlets. If there is a queue, they are usually quite quick in finding another colleague to take over a cashier point.