Odd characters

Seeing as there has been some discussion of odd characters who frequent East Dulwich, does anyone know anything about the guy who works at Jags who seems to always be on carparking duties? I think he also stands by the astro turf pitch making sure everyone who uses it has booked. I sometimes think he's outside all the time because the other staff want him away from harms way. He can come across as rude,shouting at people and waving arms at them, but I'm not sure if he is rude or just mental....Or maybe both?

Nero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is a peculiar character

Looks Chinese - did you know the chinese pictogram for happiness is a house with a pig in it and for unhappiness is a house with wife and mother-in-law in it.

• 4 weeks later...

The Jags guy?? Oh boy do i know him. Im a member there and ive been had a number of run-ins with him. I cycled in once and the main gate was open. I cycled in and he chased after me yelling "Excuse me! Excuse me". When he caught up with me at the bike park i got "You shouldnt do that its dangerous" and muttered something about insurance. I remonstrated with him and asked him how steering a bike that is less then a metre wide at the handlebars through a gap thats about 12ft wide be dangerous??

Then I once parked my car that wasn't quite straight in the bay basically because the car in the next bay was not parked exactly straight. I got the usual "Excuse me! Excuse me!" and a mouthful that included him muttering about insurance again.

I once overheard an argument with a couple of guys who were playing football on the astroturf and the manager. They were complaining that he had been rude to them.

The Dulwich Hamlet guy? Blimey he still around? I remember about 20 years ago going to watch Hamlet (anything to get away from the mrs) and he was there then.

long time lurker first time poster. (well may be second or something)

If you want strange characters may I recommend spending some time at a public library.

I was recently on study leave and spent about two weeks at Dulwich libray in the study area (2nd floor with the PC's / News papers).

Quite a collection of oddballs would come in during the day the take advantage of the free papers. Best character was this a tall middle aged, umkept / borderline vagant bloke with a wild beard and equally wild hair (think rowan williams minus pointy eyebrows). After an intro of speaking alternately to the wall clock / floor for 5 mins he settled down to read every single newspaper with the aid of an oversized magnifying glass lens (size of a saucer without the metal casing)..not sure what he was looking for but he stuck at it for several hours whilst mumbling to himself....dunno what he was looking for, reminded me of that Russell Crowe character in 'A Beautiful Mind'

He also had a kind of twin who used to come in read all the papers and make extensive notes on the same sheet of paper...it was literally crammed with notes he'd made written over each other at different angles...over and over again.

Maybe they were working in tandem...dunno but it made an interesting break from studying CFA.

There used to be a fella in Norwich who was know as Marigold. He was often seen stood in the middle of a certain roundabout directing the traffic, wearing yep you guessed it, yellow washing up gloves! Blinkin' hilarious! :))

I reckon I've probably chatted to him on a bus at some point too. ;-)

Hairist is amazing. Especially in summer with the sandals and socks combo. I love the fact he must look in the mirror each day and think 'looking good'.

There's an old lady who knocks around sometimes who wears a blue mack and often a headscarf and goes around softly hitting people on the arm as they walk by her and spanking young men. It's a strange experience that can leave one very confused on a number of levels

Jags Man... We play there each week and i usually have an argument with him.

I think he is just a jobsworth who likes to get involved in anything as he is given such dull jobs to do. Not the brightest tool in the cabinet, but generally harmlessly annoying.

The caretaker of the Peckham Rye 1 0 clock Club's temporary site is an odd character. He shuffles about, mouth clenching a ciggie, eyes transfixed to the floor, wearing what looks like an ill-fitting wig on his head. It is most disconcerting. What he gets up to in that dark cupboard is anyone's guess.

There's also that guy - a wannabe Rod Stewart methinks - who prances up and down the lower part of Forest Hill Road, often outside the CO-OP.

Keef said

"Yeah has anyone seen that odd girl with the Liverpool scarf who seems to just chat to everyone? Very odd"

Yup - she accosted me at ED Station yesterday morning and then legged it up the platform because she wanted to "sit in her very special seat". Disturbing. I then continued to write ANOTHER letter to the "late" Pope John-Paul II (he isnt really dead, he retired to Rhyll) in crayon.