Chess classes for Adults

Hi there everyone. Just thought I'd let all of you know that I have been teaching chess to some of the children in the area since June 2006. Classes are held every Saturday and Sunday morning from 10.00 am to 12 noon above the Never Ending Story Bookshop at 59 North Cross Road. Things are improving every week and I have regular numbers of between 4 to 10 children. This summer when the next Harry Potter film gets released I anticipate that many more younglings will head my way.

As chess is featured in the film, the reports are that soon after a Harry Potter film is shown lots of younglings want to learn how to play chess or want to revisit it and want to play it better. I'm just about ready for the onslaught in July, but if any of you out there want to help me teach them, please let me know.

This leads me directly into the question, "When are you going to have chess classes for adults then?" Shucks. Why didn't I think of that? Do you know how often I've been asked that recently? Well I'll say that if I don't do something about it soon then either someone else will offer chess classes for adults and you know what that will mean? And I won't let that happen,no way Jose. I'd like some of that action please!!

So, I need to ask. How many of you would like to learn, revisit, catch-up, play, have some fun with, reminisce or just have a good old mess around with chess? Well, how many of you are there? Now come on, I know you're out there! Yes you at the back there trying to hide like you used to do at school. I can see you! Now stop giggling and sniggering and come forward.

Ok Richard, calm down. Wow! Right, I'd like to know whether I should start chess classes for adults? With a good response I would seriously consider it. Please let me know if you would like to. It can't even be 'the ball's in your court' or 'the shuttlecock's in your hand', can it. Maybe it's, 'CHESSMEN AT THE READY'.

Regards, Richard Weekes

Come on Red Cat; where have you been? Everyone knows that younglings are what Yoda - who on the lastest veiwing was at least 900 years old - calls his child students when teaching them superior moves with their Light-sabers in Star Wars. OK so it was a bit 'out there' but hey; what isn't?

So Red Cat, tell me, are you a chess player?

Hey Richard I had a very deprived kittenhood and wasn't allowed to watch star wars films!

I was taught to play chess though (I'm quite clever for a cat) Am particlarly fond of the prawns - oops sorry I mean pawns (as you can see haven't played in a while, am also slightly food obsessed).

• 1 month later...

OK girls and guys, where have I been? Well I'll say that it was not to see the Queen to get one of those 'Best Chess Player in the Community' awards in her birthday honours list give out thingies. I'm not ready for that just right now. What's much more important though, is you lot out there in chess world hankering and itching (ha,ha) to learn to play chess.

The King and Queen, sorry, I mean the Queen and King have discussed this one and have proclaimed that chess shall be spread across the Queendom of the East Dulwich Wood Lands to all newcomers, oldcomers and want-to-know-comers that are interested in the Royal Game of the Chess.

Interested parties may want to know that classes for this chess activity will take place on a Sunday afternoon. 12.30 is the intended start time and the duration will be for 90 or 120 minutes. This will depend most definitely on the stamina and stickability of the participants involved.

The start date has not been confirmed as yet but in due course this will be reaveled to all in the Queendom.

It is therefore sugessted that those of you who are interested in taking up this chess activity should express your desire to do so at the earliest opportunity via this communication network.

Replies are awaited and all responses will be considered. Thankyou.

Richard

• 4 weeks later...