The Yellow Shop On CPR.

Just want to warn others, I've been in this shop several times over the past few months and every time I go in to buy food items they are out of date by at least 3months. I pointed it out to the owner and he simply told me, it's too much work to check everything is in date but as I said I've been in for different products and they are all out of date. His attitude is so wrong and he mumbled under his breath as I walked off.

Just check dates because no point paying full price for something that is months old.

I'll be sticking to using it for oyster top up, no expiry issue on that :)

Nice to be warned, but why not tell the people who can do something about it, if he is doing something unlawful? A quick call to the council takes about as much time as writing a post (and checking on its sucess or otherwise).

I have also had the same problem with this shop on several occasions and don't think I will forget the moment my joy turned to horror when I bit in to a crunchy jaffa-cake. No-one deserves their Sunday afternoon to be ruined in this way :p. First World Problems.

It's a pity, because I do want to be able to support a smaller independent shop in my neighbourhood. Nevertheless, they can still be useful when in need of an emergency chocolate.

Anyway, the jaffa-cake disaster led to me looking up the rules re selling out of date stock (I probably need to get a life)...

'Products may often be labelled with ?sell by? and ?display until? dates, but these are not required by law and are used mainly for stock control purposes within shops. It is an offence for shops to sell food that is after the ?use by? date?. However, retailers can sell food after the ?best before? date provided the food is safe to eat'.

There's another similar shop nearby which I've used for years, I got some after eight choccies for someone as a thankyou a while back and they opened them after the dinner at theirs - the chocolate was so old it'd gone white like it was frosted !

They were OK when I went back with it about swapping for a packet that was from the same decade. This stuff happens with shops like this, hopefully it won't be such a shock next time.

The shop has been around for as long as I've been in ED (about 15 years)

I think over the past few years it's suffered from the Sainsbury's effect

& the food items have a much longer turn around.

I'm really grateful that it's there & use it for travel card topup, cigarettes - & occasional grocery items.

I know it's really frustrating to get home with an out of date item.

But they always seem happy to swap it or give me my money back

& I now know to check - but tbh I don't pay much attention to "best before" or "display until" dates

- sorry just noticed this has all ready been added ((Also legally - I think there is a difference between "best before" & "use by" I don't think it's an offence to sell goods past their "best before" date

also "display until" has no legal significance.

But "use by" food must not be sold or displayed after date.

It is an offence to sell or offer for sale food past its "use by" date - I guess cos these are perishable (meat, cheese, milk) items and can make you ill if they've gone off))

The owner has clearly lost interest in his business. I've had similiar experiences using that shop. He is one sad, arrogant, rude indiviual. I wont be using it again. If he dont care about his business and customers, why should we! Best thing he can do is sell up and go!! We can do with an estate agent or hairdresser at that location!! :)

I think it must be very difficult to run a small local shop like that these days, when most people are getting their main things from supermarkets (or in ED, maybe in "posher" local independent shops).

He presumably has to buy everything he stocks in bulk, in certain minimum quantities, regardless of whether he thinks he is going to be able to sell it within the sell-by date or not.

So he has the choice of selling things past their sell-by date (I'm not condoning that, btw, although with most things I doubt it is an actual health hazard) or binning them at a loss to himself.

Or stopping selling them altogether, which means even fewer people will come to his shop.

Rock and a hard place.

For somebody who has had a shop in ED for fifteen years, that's a sad position to be in. No wonder he's lost interest in his business (if indeed he has). I'd be pretty grumpy too.

Am new to area. Loving the forum.This thread interests me as in CPR near Goose Green. Where is this shop.Must be the other end as I havent seen it. Seems like one to avoid.Previous poster makes good points but does your shop sell perishables that end up going out of date and you have to ditch them so speak with experience. Only my second message,but that empty shop up the road would be great if it was a book shop.

dimples Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> High gb2014 , there is a fantastic bookshop

> already up there called rye books !

> Go up the road to the empty shop turn left and 100

> yards down that road it's there :)

xxxxxxxx

We are very very lucky in East Dulwich to have three independent bookshops within easy reach.

Apart from Rye Books (at the Barry Road end of Upland Road), there is the lovely Chener Books in Lordship Lane just near the Goose Green roundabout, which has a great selection including a whole separate kids' section, then there is also a bookshop in Dulwich Village (though no idea what that one is like as I've never been in it).

Oh, and I think there might be one in Herne Hill as well? There's certainly an Oxfam bookshop.

Plus one in Sydenham and one in Crystal Palace, though they are not within walking distance unless you're a dedicated walker :)

So if you aren't completely converted to e-readers yet, lots of choice!

ETA: But of course they have somewhat different difficulties these days, though akin to those of the yellow shop with the arrival of supermarkets in the area - ie the arrival of Amazon.

mrbaklava Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The owner has clearly lost interest in his

> business. I've had similiar experiences using that

> shop. He is one sad, arrogant, rude indiviual.

I've genuinely always found him friendly and polite.