Dulwich estate management

Hi all

Can someone please enlighten me on the dulwich estate management. Has anyone here dealt with them? We are on the cusp of signing contracts for purchasing a house which we didn't even know was part of this management ( it's a freehold property and I am not from south London originally so didn't even know of it's existence )

The house we are buying needs a lot of modernisation. Now from what I've researched we need to permission to touch anything external.

As mentioned in the traders section I need to knock out a chimney wall in the kitchen into the garage to make a larger kitchen with eating space. The garage is a bricked structure.

Does this need permission? Along with our toilet to be is seperate from the bathroom we wanted to make it one big bathroom - does this need permission?

Thank you in advance for your responses

If you are turning the garage into residential accommodation, and if this involves changing the external appearance of the garage (e.g putting windows where the door was) then, yes, you would need estate approval. If your alterations are internal only ( e.g from the outside it would still look like a garage) then you would not.

If you're knocking out chimney breasts (building control) and wanting to convert your garage (planning permission) then the council needs to be involved for starters.

There are some posts on this forum for builders/architects who have experience of dealing with Dulwich Estate and will be able to help...

You can call the planning guy at dulwich estate and get a view as to whether your plans would be allowed. Although that view can change... And you can't take their word for it etc

Generally if the external part of the property is not changed in appearance, you'll be ok. Sounds like the bathroom alteration would prob be fine as long as the windows aren't changed. However the garage would prob still have to look like a garage after the works have been done. You definitely won't be able to increase the height of the garage for example. The d.estate planning guy will talk you through this.

I used to know someone who faced a similar issue converting his garage. He got round it by keeping the garage doors, which opened into a small storage area for bicycles, tools, etc. While the majority of the space was converted into living space with roof lights.

We have dealt with them over many years. They are generally perfectly reasonable but consult them if you are in any doubt. You cannot make any material change to the exterior although they are sensible about this and do not seem to worry too much about the rear elevations. Most of Dulwich is also in a Conservation Area. Depending upon the age of the house they can can be very hot on window replacement. Hope that this helps.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I used to know someone who faced a similar issue

> converting his garage. He got round it by keeping

> the garage doors, which opened into a small

> storage area for bicycles, tools, etc. While the

> majority of the space was converted into living

> space with roof lights.

Ivanhoe lock-ups?

They do some general guidance leaflets as well. Good advice above re external appearance changes being key. They are especially hot on front including garden fences, gates, porches etc. though some people seem to make changes and get away with it. I wouldn't take risk.