Sparrow hawks near Goose Green

Fed up with snails and slugs invading the bird-seed feeders hanging in the hedge, I hung one feeder on the washing line in the open. Sparrows soon found it and have had a couple of happy days until now, when out of nowhere, a female sparrow-hawk swooped down. Don't think she caught anything. Realise now that what I caught a glimse of earlier, and thought was a jay, may have been her mate. Have now moved the feeder back to a more sheltered spot.

The peanut feeder for the birds in my garden is 10ft up a wall and about 2ft out on a very thin metal bracket and still the fekking squirrels manage to get to it. At one point they were unhooking it from the bracket and dropping it onto the ground for all to share.

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We put a bird feeder on the washing line a couple

> of years ago, and a bastard squirrel ended up

> chewing through the washing line.

Yeah I knew his mother, what a floozy.

I was divebombed twice by a crow today on Goose Green. Was walking under the tree area near the main road side and a crow swooped down and came with inches of my head, and then did it again to me. I left the tree area and the behaviour stopped. Never found crows to be aggressive before.

Mustard Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was divebombed twice by a crow today on Goose

> Green. Was walking under the tree area near the

> main road side and a crow swooped down and came

> with inches of my head, and then did it again to

> me. I left the tree area and the behaviour

> stopped. Never found crows to be aggressive

> before.

xxxxxx

Protecting baby crows in a nearby nest maybe??

Just reading the Evening Standard and article about 'blonde runners divebombed by crows in spate of park attacks'.

Bird experts say studies show crows have a long memory, so if they are disturbed or upset by anyone, the image is likely to stay in their minds. Goes on to say reaction to fair hair may be a response to a previous attack by a creature with lighter hair or fur, like a Labrador. Most likely to be because the birds are protecting their young in the nest.

I feed the birds everyday and one big crow regularly comes into my garden making a lot of noise, then goes into a tree while I put out food. It gets loads in its beak, softens it in water nearby and then flies off to feed the babies.