Hit-and-run on my parked car, Colwell Rd.

Hi everyone,

I've never posted before but wondered if anyone might be able to help. Seems like a long shot but I've got nothing (more) to lose!

Fancy helping catch a criminal?!

It's a lovely sunny afternoon in East Dulwich and I just heard someone crunch into my car parked outside my house (the bend in Colwell Rd, East Dulwich), and keep going.

Very boring.

Especially cause I love my little yellow mini.

So they cut the corner too fine, hit the wheel, and have chewed up the bonnet and ripped off the trim.

I'm insured, but claiming will screw up my 9 years of no claims bonus (I managed to drive around Australia for 25,000km's without needing to claim!), and I'll also have to pay the ?250 insurance excess.

A double slap in the face. And the police station admit there's little chance of finding them.

So instead, I'd much rather put the ?250 to better use:

I'm offering ?250 to anyone who helps me find out who did it (I can keep your name private), so the other driver's insurance pays for it, I don't get screwed, and you get ?250 for good karma.

And maybe the driver will learn not to screw people over.

So keep an eye out for a car (sounded like a van or light truck, maybe with a trailer), around the East Dulwich, SE22 area, with the rear, left corner dented and scratched to buggery with bright yellow paint. My car has white scratches so I'm guessing that's from the other car - a white van man perhaps?

My gut wonders if it was someone driving back from a local pub.

Give me a bell on 07949-373282 or send me a message.

Please pass on this story to friends!

Thanks for any help,

Simon

and a fine sunny day it is/was too. If you can't progress your problem any further best get out and enjoy the day.

Should be a group of forumites meeting in ED at 7:30 for the comedy uptairs - always welcome there

I've had my car pranged like that before and the feeling of humanity going down the pan can overwhelm. And even fixing the car just feels so.... mundane

Sweet Simonscott,

This happened to me not so long ago, and the police told me that the other driver probably had no tax or insurance. Apparently a large percentage of drivers do not! Poor you, and your lovely mini has been tarnished now. Go and see Roy at Moore Park Garage on Woodvale. The man is a miracle worker.

Sean - thanks for the offer, I've obviously missed that now, but if I check out the comedy at the EDT I'll keep an eye/ear out for you.

Dulwichmum - thanks for the tip, very helpful, and I think your blog looks great.

Allfornun - great idea, thanks. If there's any other hire places nearby let me know and I'll have a look.

I had an incident when an uninsured driver pranged my car. What with the excess and the loss of my no claims bonus, it would have been cheaper for me to get it fixed myself, with no involvement from the insurers.

Also, the van hire place in Peckham. However, from those pics, it looks very much like tire marks, so I think you'll be lucky.

You may be better off paying to get it repaired. It may work out cheaper in the long-run due to future increases in insurance premium plus the excess you'll have to pay. I recommend getting a few insurance quotes based on having one claim and 0-years NCB. Compare that to some body-shop quotes and make a decision.

Even if you find the van that did it, how will you ever prove it?

i was driven into by a van who gave me a false name and address, i had a witness who saw them drive off after they spoke to me and noted down the plate, went to the police and they wouldn't do anything about it as there wasn't enough evidence.

i think unless you manage to video someone doing something with their name and address on a label round their necks old william won't get out of his comfy chair.

• 8 months later...
Just an FYI for everyone, someone hit car over the weekend just gone. Managed to knock the number plate half off and hanging onto the floor.....didn't realise until i was going over some speed humps....I don't believe the other driver did not know as the number plate was left hanging off. Please can anyone let me know if they saw anything.... I have a silver sports car. Thanks TJS

Simon sorry about what happened,

I had a real bad experience in Peckham a couple of years ago. I was meeting a friend at Peckham Rye Station, I was parked up, then a van came screaming around the corner and, Smash!!!!!. I got shunted a few yards forward. inspected the back of my car which was F*cked, swapped details with the driver and drove my car home ,which was now bowed in the middle. Anyway while I was at work 2 men came to my house and spoke to my wife with "Dont go insurance, we will fix" left a telephone nember and left.

By this time I had already reported the incident to my insurer..... So I phoned the number and the guy asked me to meet him at one of the meat shops in Rye Lane, Alarm bells began to ring when I entered the shop and they were sharpening their meat cleavers!. My first thought was "Mike behave yourself otherwise you will be sold as cutlets in the morning". Any way, the guy in the shop said don't go to the insurance company and I will pay all damages and give you car. He also pleaded his case, and that he was a working man with a family etc etc etc, at this stage he had began to appeal to my better nature in the shape of pay all damages and a car, so I told him not to worry about it and I would call the insurer and tell them not to persue the claim.

Reason being this guy with the mincing machine knows what I and my wife looklike and knows my address yikes!. I went home called the insurance company and they said it was too late to cancel, so I said ok, phoned the guy at the meat shop to explain and he said, "What Happens Now", My response was, "You get nicked I suppose" and slammed the phone down. Luckily we moved soon after.

Hi TJS I'm pretty sure it wasn't your car that was hit but thought I should post just in case. On Sunday I was walking down east dulwich road just by the church and saw a small white van back into a grey/silver car when it was pulling out of it's parking space. I'm pretty sure though that the front and number plate was just badly scratched up and it hadn't caused it to hang off (although spose this might have happened later) and that it was a normal car not a sports car. Anyway, I left a note with the number plate of the van and my email address on the windscreen.

TJS, it is funny you should mention a bloody white van, more than likely not connected, but I saw a small white van scratch and nearly knock off the side mirror of a car along Adys RD back in December. I tried to remember the details but sadly couldnt, so I waited around to speak to the owners who I think at first thought it was me who had done it! Talk about grateful! Anyway, just thought i'd better warn everyone that if it is the same white van, keep an eye out for it.

Louisa.

I had an incident when an uninsured driver pranged my car. What with the excess and the loss of my no claims bonus, it would have been cheaper for me to get it fixed myself, with no involvement from the insurers.

Sadly, your insurance almost certainly has an 'utmost good faith' clause that means that, even if you don't involve the insurers, you are supposed to notify them of any such accidents. Then, the bastards up your premium anyway.

I lost a wing mirror the same way, plus damage to the door and electrical system. I wouldn't recommend getting it fixed privately. It's very likely there is deeper damage that will cost a lot more than your ?250 excess. To get a nasty bump like yours fixed for only ?250 is an absolute steal, and the insurance company will be obliged to fix the car perfectly - including any deep damage. You should also consider yourself amazingly lucky to have no claims in 9 years. If you speak to your insurance company you might findd that you can pay a little more than ?250 to keep your no claims bonus - it might work out worthwhile. Your insurance company will also provide you with a nice shiny courtesy car, which might make a pleasant change. I spent all christmas driving a courtesy vauxhall vectra and was gutted when my car was finally repaired and returned to me - the vectra was much nicer.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your help with this, though I didn't realise this thread was still live as this accident happened in June 08!

I bit the bullet and got insurance to fix it as the whole bonnet and front bodywork needed replaced, so all sorted, but a shame.

I hope everyone's keeping an eye out for those white vans.

Simon