what was the gardens...who/what next?

bjh

Purely interest, I see work going on in the old gardens cafe and just wondered if anyone has any heads up on what it is going to be.

If it is already on a post then I am sorry, just ignore!!!!

Not sure we need another creche that doubles up as cafe.....ED has way to many of these; to the point that you really do struggle to fine somewhere to sit with a coffee in relative silence...

Thought it would have made a great fine dining restaurant myself.

george74 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not sure we need another creche that doubles up as

> cafe.....ED has way to many of these; to the point

> that you really do struggle to fine somewhere to

> sit with a coffee in relative silence...

>

> Thought it would have made a great fine dining

> restaurant myself.

I totally agree...

I often feel like I'm in a creche when I'm paying good money to eat breakfast or lunch, or even just a coffee in one of the local eateries.

I'm not a child hater..far from it..HOWEVER I do find the whole of ED seems to be catering for the buggy brigade more and more.

bjh Wrote:

> Sounds great! Shame it's so expensive. Might have

> a small audience.

>

> Intrigued to see how the car park will work!!!

Would've thought most people would walk/use public transport - it's hardly an isolated spot!

ETA - looking at the website, thin key mean free street parking as opposed to the Herne Hill location which had restrictions on many of the roads nearby.

there is a great cafe in melbourne which has a cafe with supervised soft play attached. you pay for x amount of minutes and send your kid off to play with a nanny watching over them. you can see them through a glass wall.

it def aimed at families but its good for everyone as the kids are off in a separate area playing while the grownups are having their coffees or whatever.

• 3 weeks later...

Marks2111 Wrote:

> It will be a disaster for residents on the nearby

> roads..... Not happy

Then sell your house, move to the Outer Hebrides and buy an acre of land just to park your car.

Vast majority will walk there anyway.

Oh no, I live on a near-by road and I don't think I had understood the enormity of what is happening here.

Could you provide a bit more detail as to what form this disaster will take?

Marks2111 Wrote:

> It will be a disaster for residents on the nearby

> roads..... Not happy

I understand the comments regarding cafes catering for kids but I think part of the reason that so many of the cafes are over-run with buggies is because the area is lacking in a space that is big enough and that caters specifically for that market.

As a parent of 2 young kids I hate having to squeeze into small places that are inappropriate such as Blue Mountain, (formerly) Lucas and Duck Egg because you know that its not really geared up for hordes of children and you have to shuffle around apologising for your buggies being in the way etc. I welcome a big space that has been well thought out and meets the needs of the huge population of young kids in East Dulwich and would imagine that if it is a success it will free up all the other cafes for people who don't have kids to sit peacefully or work etc. All in all it has to be a good thing, particularly because the old cafe was rarely busy and didnt work. As someone said before, its great that it is being used!