East Dulwich Leisure Centre - problems

Son is having problems with them. Having graduated and come back home, he has joined the club. They have been taking a direct debit from him for 6 months. For some admin reason, his entry card has never worked. He has tried to raise this with the staff there who have been "grumpy, unhelpful and intimidating", he has also emailed fusion central office a number of times. He doesn't want me to get involved, by going down and demanding resolution (bossy mum. Advice PLEASE! All very frustrating for everyone!!!!

Are you saying the only problem (minus the unfriendly staff) is the card won't work? Does this stop him using the facilities or anything offered as part of membership?

I'd certainly inquire to the having the card replaced. If not having the card working is stopping him from using the facilities surely he shouldn't be paying for a service he's not receiving especially if the company is not offering a way to solve the problem and he should stop the direct debit.

Issue is, money is being debited from his account each month, which he can prove. Card doesn't work and woman on the desk says he needs to settle his debt first, edge spite his attempts to explain, whilst staying polite. He has emailed head office a few times and got no reply. Clearly he either wants his money back for the months he hasn't been able to use the gym or to have it credited to his account. He has reached an impasse and because he works can only ever go when it's crowded and doesn't feel up to an argument when there are people waiting to get in....

He is paying for a service, he is not getting said service.

So why is he still paying? Why has the direct debit not been cancelled?

Sod the people in the queue - if his card does not work then their records will show no entry into the gym.

Stop paying the money, simples.

Write to the bank, recorded delivery, cancelling the D/D.

Write to the gym, recorded delivery, explaining why you have cancelled.

If his card has genuinly not worked for a number of months and there is NO record of him entering the gym despite the attempts, then go straight to the Small Claims Court to get his money back. It will cost peanuts to lodge the claim.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees

This is not hard...

treehugger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Issue is, money is being debited from his account

> each month, which he can prove. Card doesn't work

> and woman on the desk says he needs to settle his

> debt first, edge spite his attempts to explain,

> whilst staying polite. He has emailed head office

> a few times and got no reply. Clearly he either

> wants his money back for the months he hasn't been

> able to use the gym or to have it credited to his

> account. He has reached an impasse and because he

> works can only ever go when it's crowded and

> doesn't feel up to an argument when there are

> people waiting to get in....

You didn't actually mention in your first post that they weren't letting him in due to an 'outstanding debt'. Your first post sounded like his card just didn't work and I believe most people assumed he was still able to use the gym. Maybe if you had explained the situation correctly in the first place you would have got better responses.

If it was me I would be taking down my bank statements showing the money coming out and demanding a refund for all the months they wouldn't let me in (although I also wouldn't have let it go on for so long). The alternative is to stop the Direct Debit you can usually do it via online banking and write at letter to them saying if they don't refund the money you will take legal action. However as he's an adult it really should be him doing this himself and not his Mum. At some point he needs to find a way to deal with issues he's having on his own.

Really young men need to see how complaining is done and how you go about dealing with people effectively but without getting angry or upset. It's not taught in school or college.

Maybe a read of one of the money type forums helps - they always complain, or here :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have good and bad news about the DLC. My understanding from council officials today.

first apologies for all customers who have been adversely affecte by this over the last 3 1/2 years.

The bad news is the builder and their air-handling system hasnt worked properly since installation. It's too damn hot for classes etc. That their contract meant it could only be fixed by them else any other supplier fixing it would be totally at the councils expense and nullify the contract.

Finally after 3 1/2 years the council has agreement from the builder to come and fix it. No specific time has yet been agreed but when I know I will share that information here.

In the mean time staff are visiting each affected space every two hours and have fans going. Not ideal.

The bad news is the builder and their air-handling system hasnt worked properly since installation. It's too damn hot for classes etc. That their contract meant it could only be fixed by them else any other supplier fixing it would be totally at the councils expense and nullify the contract.

Finally after 3 1/2 years the council has agreement from the builder to come and fix it. No specific time has yet been agreed but when I know I will share that information here.

Wby has it taken so long? After it was installed and the snagging process took place why was it not fixed and continued to be fixed? Did Southwark claim compensation or consider legal action?

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi spider69,

> To be honest I was totally agog when I received

> the reply tellingg me this.

> But at least a solution is now in sight. We just

> need dates.

Why did Southwark not act before. What reasons

were you given?

Please do not mention the contract for all intents it has been rendered null and void

Look forward to hearing

• 5 weeks later...
First day of summer holidays and no swimming sessions that the kids can go too until 6pm. The afternoon school session which could have been used for the general public is instead closed 'due to maintenance' - great planning and SO frustrating......

Cora Wrote:

> First day of summer holidays and no swimming

> sessions that the kids can go too until 6pm. The

> afternoon school session which could have been

> used for the general public is instead closed 'due

> to maintenance' - great planning and SO

> frustrating......

Shame. How much notice did they give with regards to the works taking place?

Hi James

I have been posting to you about the AC problem at Fusion for quite a while and been trying to get an answer out of Fusion for years. It is very frustrating.

How about every class i cannot attend or maximise because it is too hot or too cold - that i get reimbursed out of my membership fees?

a) why should i pay for it?

b) if everyone is (as they should be) entitled to this, then you can be sure the date to fix the problem will be a lot sooner. At the moment it wouldn't surprise me to learn we'll have a very long wait indeed since the powers that be already think 3.5 years was an acceptable time to allow this problem to run for.

i agree with mynameishere - the place needs windows which open. (A cheap, quick and obvious solution). Even on the rare occasion that the AC does work - it is badly designed for its studio purpose and blasts about 6 streams of ice cold air to the floor from the ceiling rendering a lot of the floor space totally unusable.

Finally James - please could you make this information a post of its own so people can access it? As you know i have been trying to find this out for ages and only stumbled on it by accindent in a thread about something else.

thanks

Olivia